New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Gear/ clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear/ clutch issues

Hi guys, thank your reading in advance.

I have a Honda CBR125R and had it since May. Never really had any issues until about December. My clutch cable snapped during a particularly frosty morning. I replaced the cable but everytime I put the bike into gear it would turn off. ( definitely not the stand sensor as I had already disconnected it)

I had a mobile mechanic come to ' fix' it. He basically showed up and switched the clutch plates around, when he was finished he asked me to put new engine oil in, but I didn't have any so there was no way of me checking if the bike had been fixed or not.

Anyways fast forward two weeks and I put in the engine oil, after I had done this I realised that regardless of which gear the bike was in, it would still roll. The battery was dead and I was hoping to bump start it, which I couldn't because I couldn't get the bike in any gear.

Does anyone know what may be causing the bike to still rolls regardless of which gear it finds itself in.

Thanks for reading

Old 04-09-2020, 04:22 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It sounds like ur mechanic assembled the clutch wrong. Did he tell you why he "switched the plates around" that sounds completely unnecessary. your original problem was probably to do with the clutch switch/lever/adjustment

Old 04-09-2020, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by SunBlue
It sounds like ur mechanic assembled the clutch wrong. Did he tell you why he "switched the plates around" that sounds completely unnecessary. your original problem was probably to do with the clutch switch/lever/adjustment

I basically explained to him over the phone the orignal issue I was having. He told me over the phone ' it's a clutch plate issue, I'll have to switch them around and that should fix it '

When he arrived he didn't even switch the bike on or even carry out any checks. He literally just started taking of the engine casing and did what he did. It's only after he had finished and packed up he told me to insert new engine oil before switching it on, and I didn't have enough engine oil so he told me not to start it up until I had purchased more. So I literally had noway off checking it, and it wasn't until like 2 weeks later after I had put in new engine oil that I realised the bike not only hadn't been fixed but it was worse off.

And I have a new clutch basket and plates, I've seen loads of vids lately on how to replace them and feel fairly confident. The only issue is, I dont have a castle nut.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:15 AM

Your mechanic is a complete hack. I would try to get a refund and if thats not possible leave a horrible review so other clueless clients can be saved.
I highly doubt you need a new clutch basket and plates. what makes you think u need to replace them? I would not replace them unless you have a specific reason to do so.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:41 AM

Your mechanic is a complete hack. I would try to get a refund and if thats not possible leave a horrible review so other clueless clients can be saved.
I highly doubt you need a new clutch basket and plates. what makes you think u need to replace them? I would not replace them unless you have a specific reason to do so.

Mate you were right, the clutch plates weren't inserted properly. I opened up the bike and had a look, I think he did it on purpose, as I told him straight up, I can only ride I have no clue about anything on the mechanical side.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:45 AM

And the mechanic I cant do much because he was a mobile mechanic from a different city. I'm from a small town and we don't have any around here. He told me I needed a new clutch basket and plates but tbh I had been thinking the plates need changing for a while before hand because the bike had been behaving strangely. It wouldn't pick up speed as normal, also the revs would jump from like 4000 to 6000 when I would reach like 40mph.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:38 PM

Smh!! What a scammer. I'm glad u were able to sort it by yourself. Sounds like ur gonna have to learn to do a lot of things yourself, which I believe you are very capable of as you figured out the clutch yourself from watching youtube. props!!

Dont need new basket unless the fingers are grooved. While you have it out check the thickness of the friction and steel plates, as well as warpage and bluing of the steels. Maybe you got new friction plates already but its good to know anyhow. Definitely measure the steels (Im assuming ur reusing those)

A surefire way to check for slipping clutch is to ride it up a hill and try to suddenly accelerate, if ur clutch is slipping ur speed wont go up with the revs.

Did you fix your original issue as well? (bike not starting in gear)

Old 04-09-2020, 04:25 PM

Smh!! What a scammer. I'm glad u were able to sort it by yourself. Sounds like ur gonna have to learn to do a lot of things yourself, which I believe you are very capable of as you figured out the clutch yourself from watching youtube. props!!

Dont need new basket unless the fingers are grooved. While you have it out check the thickness of the friction and steel plates, as well as warpage and bluing of the steels. Maybe you got new friction plates already but its good to know anyhow. Definitely measure the steels (Im assuming ur reusing those)

A surefire way to check for slipping clutch is to ride it up a hill and try to suddenly accelerate, if ur clutch is slipping ur speed wont go up with the revs.

Did you fix your original issue as well? (bike not starting in gear)

Thanks haha I can feel my head getting bigger lol, and the clutch basket looks completely fine, I can't check the clutch plates yet as I dont have the castle nut to unscrew and take apart the clutch basket. I will definitely compare them to the new plates when I do get hold of a castle nut and rearrange the clutch plates. If they do need replacing I'll probably just do it too seeing as I have new plates with the clutch basket I purchased.

And in response to the orignal problem, unfortunately no, as all I did was take the engine casing off, look at it, spot the problem and put the engine casing back on. When the castle nut does arrive, I'll take more pics and keep you updated.

Ps. The bike has also been leaking engine oil since the mobile mechanic came to ' fix it '. I found him again on google and erm he had only 2 reviews :/. So I kinda shot myself in the foot by not checking the reviews earlier.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:23 PM

Oil leak is probably from the cover if clutch is the only thing he touched and it was fine before. Not sure if ur specific model uses liquid sealant or paper gasket, but when you do put the cover back on with new gasket make sure to inspect for damage to the mating surface. I wouldnt put it past this crappy "mechanic" to possibly have damaged the surface by prying with a screwdriver, etc so just check for that. Hopefully its only leaking because he reused the old gasket.
Tough lesson, but lessons learned the hard way are lessons you will never forget. On the upside, you got to learn about the clutch first hand, and it will save you a lot of money in the future!
No worries about the original issue. One thing at a time, you will get this all sorted out. Come back and post when you got updates. Lots of knowledgeable peeps on this forum to help as well if u get stuck along the way. Good luck!

Old 04-12-2020, 01:34 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

basically the bike shutting down when putting it in gear could mean two things:
1- your clutch is permanently engaged so you will get a bump foreward and thats it.
2- your side stand switch is broken. Since it is a sudden apearing issue I would put my money on this (figure of speaking)

Quick Reply: Gear/ clutch issues