New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Former MXer, turning knee-dragger

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, it's taken me a while to get back (and still w/out pics ). The last two weeks have been the beginning of a new term at school, so things have been hectic. Plus, the previous owner had installed HID lights, but done a terrible installation, so that it was possible for the clutch cable to get caught on the ballasts and interfere with steering (he was a total noob to motorcycles in general, thankfully he only had the bike for 1k miles). So, I fabricated some brackets to move the ballasts to a safe place, re-routed all wires safely, etc. I really wish the ballast wiring was a little longer; I didn't want to extend the wires with normally insulated (i.e. plastic) wire, and without tearing into the bike too much there were limited placement options. Oh well, I have it together now and everything is safe, but the ballasts are visible, so it doesn't look stock ). I needed a project for last week, since I didn't have my endorsement, and wouldn't ride w/out it, so it gave me something to do when I didn't feel like doing my physics/math work.

Then, I took Team Oregon's (Oregon's MSF equivalent) Intermediate class last Saturday, received my endorsement about 12:45 Monday afternoon, between classes. Put ~200 miles on since Monday. My Alpinestars two-piece is a size too big, but it was basically brand new on Craigslist for $300, so it will work fine for the time being. I don't yet have proper boots, so I've been rocking the Tech-8's until I have a little extra money for some street boots. They're big & bulky, but better than tennis shoes, I suppose.

Anyway, after my very limited experience thus far riding the bike, I'm wondering:
1. What are gears 4,5, & 6 for? Once passing a car on a long straight with no one else around, I found the shift light in 2nd. Holy crap ...and here I thought 450cc mx bikes pulled hard.
2. How does one get anything done with his/her bike just sitting there begging to go, say, to the coast?

Anyway, I'm at the university now, I'll do my best to post pics when I get home tonight. I do have quantum homework due tomorrow, though, so it might be after class tomorrow. Or Friday if it's sunny tomorrow afternoon, as I think something *might* come up .