New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

FNG don't hurt me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 03:33 AM
t0m
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking FNG don't hurt me.

I've had a S2K for some time and I had the itch for speed. So I turbo'd it and well, lets say that was short lived. I wanna get into something faster. I know what you're think, "oh another smart *** kid with a heavy foot" or "this kid is gonna get himself killed". I'm well aware of the dangers this comes with but I'm also not reckless. I like to work on cars and I've learned a lot from them. I'd like to work on bikes and some of my friends have gotten into tracking their bikes so I wanted to learn how to ride. I have respect for the road and the people on it. I have respect for the law and those who enforce it. But most importantly, I have respect for a fine piece of machinery.

With that out of the way: Hi.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you needed more speed and blew up or wrote off your car, But you have respect for the road, the law and want a bike?

Before you do anything stupid take a MSF course and if you can learn from it and not get bored and want to go faster for a weekend then you might be ready for a bike, If you are bored and get upset that your just doing circles in a parking lot then I doubt a bike is for you.

Secondly if you do want a bike check insurance before you purchase, There are way too many young kids getting SS bikes and then checking insurance rates after the purchase to realize that 1 year insurance costs almost the same as the bike and then drive around with no insurance on a death machine due to lack of experience and a huge ego.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard t0m!

If you are sincere about "respect" for speed, you'll recognize that public streets are not the place for excessive speed. Thus the saying, "TAKE IT TO THE TRACK". You can have spirited rides on street twisties but within the limits of the law. Anything beyond that should be on the track under controlled circumstances.

As recommended above, take the MSF Course Motorcycle Safety Foundation & learn riding techniques & safety. Build on that to become a safe street rider. For track, you can ride trackdays & build up to getting your racing license.

Be smart & be safe out there.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:14 PM
t0m

Originally Posted by jeffjones
So you needed more speed and blew up or wrote off your car, But you have respect for the road, the law and want a bike?

Before you do anything stupid take a MSF course and if you can learn from it and not get bored and want to go faster for a weekend then you might be ready for a bike, If you are bored and get upset that your just doing circles in a parking lot then I doubt a bike is for you.

Secondly if you do want a bike check insurance before you purchase, There are way too many young kids getting SS bikes and then checking insurance rates after the purchase to realize that 1 year insurance costs almost the same as the bike and then drive around with no insurance on a death machine due to lack of experience and a huge ego.
Nice welcome. No, I got my speed. I sold my car and parted out the kit.

I've already slated to go to MSF. Unfortunately, here in California and for military folk, the MSF has a bit of a waiting line as it's free. Even the ARC has a long wait and I plan on taking both. And the only way to really learn safely is at a supervised course like these. As I said before, I'm not looking to getting a bike right now but perhaps soonish.

I checked the insurance and I've done my research. I'm at 25 almost 26 year old safe driver with no accidents or tickets. I dunno but is $400 a year too much for motorcycle insurance? I've also read up on motorcycle laws in California and my home state.

Like I said before, I'm not a kid so please don't treat me like such. I'm 25 years old and I'd say that I'm pretty mature. I don't "streetrace" or drive recklessly on the highways or roads. I've ran my car at drag strips but never tracked it. It was 100% CARB and 50 State legal. So when I say I like speed, it means I like things that go zoom and I like working on them. I'm a huge advocate of anti-street racing, I've lost friends and my cousin to street racers. And I don't go out of my way to cause trouble, I respect cyclists to the fullest and I'm always looking for them on the roads. I know there are some ignorant people out there and I'm not one of them. I've been doing research on this topic for about 4 months now and I'm still deciding whether or not to get one now or later on down the road. I know that I do want to learn though. I only signed up for this board because it seemed like a good place to start mingling with folks but as it appears, you're just as immature and judgmental as the kids over at the "Honda" forums. I don't care who you are or what you've accomplished, there isn't a need to treat someone who is new to a board like this.

Sorry if that is long winded but I don't like being called a reckless, ignorant kid. I've always gotten out of the way for cyclists and been very cautious as they approach and I can imagine what it's like being on one (always looking out for the idiot that is going to get you killed ect).

Last edited by t0m; 11-23-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:31 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF

nice to see that youre doing your homework. $400,, cant say, ive heard that everything is a lot more in cali. you would ghave to check with riders from cali. we have few in here.

if you dont like someones comments, just ignore them. some people like to play with your emotions and treat you as a kid. please dont take it to heart. thats everywhere you go online.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by t0m
I've already slated to go to MSF. Unfortunately, here in California and for military folk, the MSF has a bit of a waiting line as it's free.
That's excellent! Hope you can get into a class soon.

Originally Posted by t0m
I checked the insurance and I've done my research. I'm at 25 almost 26 year old safe driver with no accidents or tickets. I dunno but is $400 a year too much for motorcycle insurance?
$400 really isn't bad at all. Of course, that depends on what coverages you intend to have.

Originally Posted by t0m
So when I say I like speed, it means I like things that go zoom and I like working on them... I know there are some ignorant people out there and I'm not one of them.
No problem there. You sound good to go.

Originally Posted by t0m
I've been doing research on this topic for about 4 months now and I'm still deciding whether or not to get one now or later on down the road. I know that I do want to learn though.
Doing the research is the best way to go. I commend you for being diligent for wanting to approach motorcycling in an informed manner. Its the best way to go.

Originally Posted by t0m
I only signed up for this board because it seemed like a good place to start mingling with folks
We are glad you are here. Hope you'll stay aboard & add to our collective. We have a good base of members here that are willing to help & encourage your interest.

Good to have you w/ us.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t0m
Nice welcome. No, I got my speed. I sold my car and parted out the kit.

I've already slated to go to MSF. Unfortunately, here in California and for military folk, the MSF has a bit of a waiting line as it's free. Even the ARC has a long wait and I plan on taking both. And the only way to really learn safely is at a supervised course like these. As I said before, I'm not looking to getting a bike right now but perhaps soonish.

I checked the insurance and I've done my research. I'm at 25 almost 26 year old safe driver with no accidents or tickets. I dunno but is $400 a year too much for motorcycle insurance? I've also read up on motorcycle laws in California and my home state.

Like I said before, I'm not a kid so please don't treat me like such. I'm 25 years old and I'd say that I'm pretty mature. I don't "streetrace" or drive recklessly on the highways or roads. I've ran my car at drag strips but never tracked it. It was 100% CARB and 50 State legal. So when I say I like speed, it means I like things that go zoom and I like working on them. I'm a huge advocate of anti-street racing, I've lost friends and my cousin to street racers. And I don't go out of my way to cause trouble, I respect cyclists to the fullest and I'm always looking for them on the roads. I know there are some ignorant people out there and I'm not one of them. I've been doing research on this topic for about 4 months now and I'm still deciding whether or not to get one now or later on down the road. I know that I do want to learn though. I only signed up for this board because it seemed like a good place to start mingling with folks but as it appears, you're just as immature and judgmental as the kids over at the "Honda" forums. I don't care who you are or what you've accomplished, there isn't a need to treat someone who is new to a board like this.

Sorry if that is long winded but I don't like being called a reckless, ignorant kid. I've always gotten out of the way for cyclists and been very cautious as they approach and I can imagine what it's like being on one (always looking out for the idiot that is going to get you killed ect).
I wasn't trying to be rude or immature, Yes probably a little judgemental but you have to understand how many people on there first post tell everyone here how they love speed and want to get something as fast as they can, Then a couple posts later they are asking how to repair their crashed bikes.
I must admit it came off very immature and like a reckless, ignorant kid on your part about saying you turboed your car and destroyed it and now want something faster. You even called yourself out for saying that lol.

This is a great forum with lots of knowledge, but when your first post starts the way it did, Majority of people here were probably thinking the same thing as me.

If you are mature and respect the bike and don't let an ego get the best of you the bike will give you the most enjoyment a vehicle can bring you.

Not everyones advice is what you are wanting to hear, So take it for what its worth and do what you want.

As for insurance I will say it again, I hate you americans for your insurance prices lol. There are people in Canada that actually pay upwards of $3-$4,000 a year for just liability.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:35 PM
t0m

Originally Posted by jeffjones
I wasn't trying to be rude or immature, Yes probably a little judgemental but you have to understand how many people on there first post tell everyone here how they love speed and want to get something as fast as they can, Then a couple posts later they are asking how to repair their crashed bikes.
I must admit it came off very immature and like a reckless, ignorant kid on your part about saying you turboed your car and destroyed it and now want something faster. You even called yourself out for saying that lol.

This is a great forum with lots of knowledge, but when your first post starts the way it did, Majority of people here were probably thinking the same thing as me.

If you are mature and respect the bike and don't let an ego get the best of you the bike will give you the most enjoyment a vehicle can bring you.

Not everyones advice is what you are wanting to hear, So take it for what its worth and do what you want.

As for insurance I will say it again, I hate you americans for your insurance prices lol. There are people in Canada that actually pay upwards of $3-$4,000 a year for just liability.
I can see where you would think I destroyed it. I meant it got old and wanted something faster and learn something new. :P And yes, I know that my ego is always in check and I will probably never be better than any bike that I get (unless it's a 200 or less...probably).

Old 11-24-2011, 01:54 AM

About the military course, It depends on what motorcycle you are planning on buying. The BRC is MANDO!!!! The MSBRC is mandatory for Sportbikes, only after you have completed the BRC, but you have to provide your own Motorcycle and the ARC you have to provide your own motorcycle also. Check with someone if the BRC in your area will provide you with a motorcycle. I know not all NAVSAFCEN Approved MSF courses (BRC) have "loaner bikes".

Welcome to the site. Lots of good info on here and lots of good people on here. You don't just get to jump on the site and get to be the HMFIC. You are that newly reporting Seaman/Private. You will be treated as such. Take some and give some. Bring your tough skin out, don't wear you emotions on your shoulders. You are in the service so you know how this goes. Your a kid and I am a kid, there are dudes on here that are 80, COsteveUGH. Carry On!

**Disclaimer- The above information relates to The USN/DON (Department of the Navy). If you are USA or USAF it may be different because those branches are weak. Also, they may have not given you "tough skin", sorry for the loss. **

***Disclaimer2- Don't call it "cycling" or someone a "cyclist". The "cycle" I ride has an engine and footpegs and 1 speed..FAST, not 15 speeds and pedals. -100 cool points from the jump***

Last edited by Trey929RR; 11-24-2011 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Grammar and cycling explaination
Old 11-25-2011, 01:12 AM
t0m

For the Marine Corps BRC or MSF is MANDATORY to even buying a bike. So I plan on doing that first.

Quick Reply: FNG don't hurt me.