New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

First motorcycle and new to riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s been raining the past few days and I haven’t had much time to practice so I just took my chances I plan on going to this huge church ground parking lot when I get a chance to practice my low speed maneuvers but for the most part I was impressed with my capability to operate the motorcycle but for sure there’s major room for improvement I was riding in first gear second gear and third gear first gear is really responsive so I would Upshift to second or third and cruise around

Old 02-16-2020, 07:40 AM
Welcome crew
Received 212 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Derrick8732
It’s been raining the past few days and I haven’t had much time to practice so I just took my chances I plan on going to this huge church ground parking lot when I get a chance to practice my low speed maneuvers but for the most part I was impressed with my capability to operate the motorcycle but for sure there’s major room for improvement I was riding in first gear second gear and third gear first gear is really responsive so I would Upshift to second or third and cruise around
Nothing wrong with being confident but it can be a fine line between confident and overconfident! Ask me how I know...

The biggest adjustment for me, coming from a smaller cc bike, was the acceleration above 6-7k. I've have more than a few instances where I thought I was ready but found myself wondering if I was going to slide off the back of the bike!

The following users liked this post:
Derrick8732 (02-16-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 04:45 AM

Good morning my fellow riders brothers and sisters so this might sound dumb but I was practicing in Parking lots and I noticed that I kept putting my foot back on the foot rest when im going to shift instead of keeping my foot underneath the shift lever and that would cause me to shift and improperly I found out if I kept my foot under the shifter when I know I was going to shift that would help me out LOL still learning What are some good gopros because I want to start recording my mistakes and learning from them Thank you a lot all advice and criticism excepted

Old 02-19-2020, 04:32 PM
Welcome crew

Don't know about gopro's but that sounds like a great tool to analyze yourself. For personal riding skills, I'd suggest checking out FastEddie's YT channel. For what NOT to do, DanDantheFireman does a great job of breaking down other rider's mistakes and poor habits. Once you feel comfortable with the basics, look into a track day. It can be expensive but you won't regret the investment, especially getting live feedback from really good riders!

Keep up the good work!

Old 02-19-2020, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the advice I can never stop learning so today I went for a ride probably the longest ride I’ve ever ridden I skipped going to practice in the parking lot I usually go to instead I went on some back roads and I went on to a main road that had a good amount of traffic on it it was fun I got to practice stopping and going practicing looking in my mirrors the dangers and all that good stuff I do watch Dan Dan the fireman, yeamiebnoob, cycle cruiser, and a few others I consistently watch videos but one noticeably problem that I have is the throttle is so damn fun and it sounds so good lolI have to control myself every single time LOL

Doc Samson (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 03:07 PM
Welcome crew

Originally Posted by Derrick8732
one noticeably problem that I have is the throttle is so damn fun and it sounds so good lolI have to control myself every single time LOL
I hear you and it is indeed tough to stay in control. Do your best and just try to remind yourself of the consequences if you get caught or, as I've done more than once, you enter a corner too hot and are suddenly staring down someone's grille in the other lane. Many moons ago, I was in a car wreck that was mostly my fault and others were injured. Not a good feeling and can take quite some time to get over...

Derrick8732 (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 325 Likes on 267 Posts

One critical skill that you should practice on if you aren't already is counter steering. It is totally counterintuitive to the way your brain works but it can save your life one you learn how to do it.

Derrick8732 (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 05:40 PM

OK once again thank you all so much I went for a ride today and this time I took it further I went on some roads that I had to stay in traffic and I had to reach at least 50 mph which was easily done I found that my steering and keeping distance are getting better I don’t know about my counter steering and all of that but I just know I know how to get through corners taking my time and analyzing every moment I was on that bike I’m getting more confident but not overconfident you all are awesome 🦾

Old 02-22-2020, 03:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the bike, there's nothing like being on two wheels bud.

Someone mentioned Fast Eddys' youtube channel. I definitely would second that. The guy is pretty chill and makes lots of sense.
Another must watch is a cheesy (in a good way) movie called twist of the wrist.

Just do yourself a favor and resist those urges to open that throttle , its very easy to think "I got this" , like someone already mentioned its a really quick way to get yourself into some bad situations, and you're not always guaranteed a second chance.

For the record , its possible to have all kinds of fun on these things , without being reckless. For me getting around a nice corner, on a "perfect" and effortless line, always seems more satisfying than getting around one quick but sloppy.
Just take it easy , ride at your own pace and as your skills improve your ability to have more fun will as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by F4i4ever:
Derrick8732 (02-22-2020), Doc Samson (02-22-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 08:58 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Do you have anyone experienced that you can ride with? Follow and observe, be followed and be observed, then stop and talk about things.

There are some riding groups filled with newer riders. Maybe hook up with one of those.

Derrick8732 (02-22-2020)

Quick Reply: First motorcycle and new to riding