New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

First bike EVER!!! 99 CBR F4 in Charlotte, NC!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bike EVER!!! 99 CBR F4 in Charlotte, NC!

So I have been building performance cars for about 10 years now and have always had the mentality "bikes suck, I would rather beat them on four wheels!"

I achieved that goal a few times in my RX7 and I just wasn't satisfied. The car scene here has really just turned to crap and no one really has anything appealing to me anymore except a select few vehicles. Anyhow, I just don't get a kick out of my car anymore no matter how fast it is and I keep dumping time and money in to it trying to achieve such outrageous goals. Well, I FINALLY got over myself and took a little test ride on my buddies CBR. Don't worry I've ridden dirt bikes many years ago and didn't just jump on something I had no clue how to ride hahaha. All I can say is that when I pulled back in to his driveway I couldn't get off of it.... just so much FUN! He tells me he's trying to sell it and we worked out a deal. The following day (today actually) I rode my first bike home!!!!

I haven't been this excited about something in a loooong time (I'm only 26 years old tho haha). It's a 99 CBR F4, yellow and black, 20k miles but has been well taken care of. I had a few of my bike buddies take a look over it and test ride it before I committed myself to the deal and they were all in shock at how nice it is for it's year. I got it for $3,000 which for around here is cheap! Most bikes of this same setup go for around $4,500 for some reason. I got it from the second owner but have had the privileage of meeting the original owner, an older fellow who races on road courses. This was his little daily bike and has seen nothing but Honda oil and proper maintenence.

I already got the front and rear wheels off to get new tires on later in the day Other than that the brakes are great, clutch feels very nice, front shocks are solid with no leaks... actually there are no leaks or seapage anywhere on the bike. The frame itself looks new! hahaha It also has a Vance and Hines exhaust and has been tuned and rejetted on the dyno. At first I didn't believe this but the original owner is going to give me the dyno sheet if he can find it, I personally don't care about that as when my friend who currently has an 07 R6 said it feels pretty much the same as his bike. That's enough for me!!!!!!

I'll post pics when I get the chance and will leave it at this for now, I know this is boring stuff but I am just now realizing why people say that "once you get a bike, you'll never look back!" Sure enough I am now a believer!!!!

Thanks,

-Zac

Old 09-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Default RE: First bike EVER!!! 99 CBR F4 in Charlotte, NC!

hahaha i'll tell you if i ever came accross a Ferrari it wouldn't stand a chance i haven't had a stab at a 1000cc yet but put lengths on 600's and 750's with ease. traction is my enemy tho as most bike guys want to start around 60mph on the highway. it's usually about 120 mph where it's just decimation lol

either way, at this very moment i'm over the car scene. i'm sure next year i'll put the RX7 back together and shoot for the liter bikes haha

Old 09-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the board! Glad you finally saw the light ... too bad we never got to meet on the street in my turbo Busa days. You will find a lot of satisfaction in learning to handle a sport bike. Maybe more than just punching an accelerator pedal

Old 09-14-2008, 12:29 AM

Big welcome to ya Zac. I recently picked up a 2000 F4 which is Yellow/Black. Should be able to ride it this week, getting inspected right now.

See for me, I always wanted to get into the car scene. Have one friend with a Turbo Rx-7 and another that had a 3000GT VR-4. My uncle has a 350Z and picked up a turbo for it. Easiest way to make a lot of horsepower in those cars. But I had wanted to pick up a wrecked one and rebuild it and just the project time was too much for me. Don't have the time for that. Rather get out there and ride! And with motorcycles can do that real quick.

As chainstretcher said, them Turbo Busa's are crazy! Was at the track at the end of July for a taping of PINKS All Out and there was about 10 motorcycles there. Crazy how fast they go! And for most of the 1/4 mile, those guys only have one tire on the ground! Front is just pulling soo much!

Keep us updated on the bike!

James

Old 09-14-2008, 12:37 AM

welcome an if you ever need any help hit me up im in west charlotte. that goes for anyone in or around charlotte

Old 09-14-2008, 01:04 AM

Thanks a lot guys! I know my RX would not be beating on any busa stuff, especially boosted! LOL but man every single time I get on this bike I just want to ride it more and more and MORE!!! It's already become a crazy addiction!!!!

I have it taken apart to an extent as I am painting the tail black and some other little things like waxing the chain, maybe repaint the wheels that now have good tires, fixing a small exhaust leak, etc... hahaha coming from cars these things are actually pretty simplistic. I want to change the plugs and oil but don't know what I should use... I'm the biggest fan of NGK plugs and Valvoline oil as all my bearings in every motor I've built look amazing no matter what the abuse is.

Do I need to stick with Honda oil?

brakeswhatbrakes: I'm in the Matthews/ Mint Hill area. Do you ever go out to the Quaker Steak n Lube bike nights?

Old 09-14-2008, 01:12 AM

no i havent been there in a hot minute. been spending most my time with work, school, an rebuilding my baby. see i look at like 40 bucks spent on dinner an a beer or two is 40 bucks takin out my rebuild fund so until i get here running on the street again no fancy outings for me.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:58 AM

Ah man I understand completely. You blew the motor? If you would like some back-up or just an extra set of hands let me know. I am not quite experienced with bike engines yet, but I have built enough engines (honda included) in general to have enough theory that I am sure to not be a clueless jughead hahaha.

I am always looking to learn more

Also, here is a shot of my F4 in the current torn apart state hahaha: gotta fix the date on my camera... way off!

Name:  MyCBRwheelsoff.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  ZacCBRtakenapart.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  46.7 KB

Quick Reply: First bike EVER!!! 99 CBR F4 in Charlotte, NC!