New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

First bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 06:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First bike?

What do you guys reckon would be the ideal first starter bike for an inexperienced rider. Most riding I've done was flying about ibiza on a DR650 for a few days since passing my test last yr! Ideally want a CBR600FS and been watching one for a few weeks in a dealer but my old boy has talked me out of spending too much on a first bike I'm likely to put down the road at some point on the learning curve. Any suggestions for about £2-3K?

Old 12-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: First bike?

You know yourself best -- if you have the self control to go at your own pace then buy what ya like and don't crash. Crashing sux. If you're "really" inexperienced, then try getting a used 500Ninja or something similar. The owner already took the depreciation hit so you can buy it cheap, ride it 2500 miles and then sell it for close to what you paid for it.

Ya ya, I know a 500 ain't glamerous and your friends will poo-poo at it but you did ask. My progression was '81 CX500Honda, '94 Ninja 500, '98 750 Katana ... then the CC's and ponies just started flowing after that.

Good luck dude!

Old 12-16-2004, 12:14 PM

A wise person once told me:
"Remember, its not the bike that makes the rider look good, its the way the rider handles the bike that makes the rider look good."

That being said, start out on something small and comfortable. An older 500 or even a CBR600F2 or F3 make great starter bikes. See if anyone in your area offers any motorcycle safety or training classes. The great thing about motorcycles is they hold their resale value. As Chain said, you can buy an older/smaller bike, ride it for a year or so and turn around and sell it for pretty much what you paid for it. Also don't forget gear. Most people buy the bike first, then have limited funds for gear. Buy your gear first, then worry about a bike. Also there are some good books out there if you want to do some reading. Proficient motorcycling and Twist of the wrist are two good books that cover the basics on motorcycling.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:43 PM

I would say a 600...HONDA has to be HONDA....600 is a good starting point for most...It also depends on how big you are....height, weight and so forth...i have a friend who is new to riding also and got a 500..It's way to small for him....

Old 12-16-2004, 08:41 PM

That the way im going. got my first bike 4 month ago a cbr600F2. great bike. Im learning how to work on bike, chains, jet and pipe and also how to ride. good luck with you first bike.

Nipz~

Old 12-16-2004, 08:53 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nipz

That the way im going. got my first bike 4 month ago a cbr600F2. great bike. Im learning how to work on bike, chains, jet and pipe and also how to ride. good luck with you first bike.

Nipz~
Chains? Hmmmm, how bout adopting Mikey for a while?

Old 12-16-2004, 09:06 PM

na that all you im learning how to do chains in about a week or two. just put it there because im learning them right now. lol

Nipz~

Old 12-18-2004, 01:40 PM

Cheers peeps, looking into couple of cheaper cbr's and a g1 zx6 (sorry but the proce is right![X(]) Got good self control, I know my limits but you will get carried away at some point and I dont want to be on something that may hang me out to dry easily. Was thinking CBR400 as they are the shiznit, my mate had one as his first road bike before his thundercat but reckon I may get bored quick but their good for resale. Size wise I'm pretty average, 180cm 76Kg, just need leathers really got my dad's hand me downs, arai's and sidi's, hmm nice. Cheers peeps, I'll keep you's posted. [&:]

Old 12-19-2004, 03:15 PM

My first bike was (and still is) a 1999 CBR F4.
It is pretty light.. and easy to handle.. Great bike for a rookie !!![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-27-2005, 08:21 PM

Howdy , welcome to the forums

Better late than never