New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

First Bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bike

Hey guys, I've been interested in riding since I was younger and the past year I've been comitting to getting a bike and getting going.
Been saving for months and months, waiting patiently for a bike to go up for sale that is A. what I'm looking for and B. within my pricerange.
I know inline 4 cylinder engines are somewhat frowned upon, but I feel that I will be able to know my limits and respect the bike (as well as wearing gear!) after I take the MSF course.

Finally, on Saturday, I found a listing in a nearby city for a 2004 Honda CBR600F4i that looked a little rough, but the price seemed good. A buddy and I went and looked at it, he test rode it, I nitpicked a little (it's got a few things here and there) and his asking price was $1600, but he ended up taking $1400.
We trailered here home and I've been staring at her in the garage, can't wait to get my gear and take my MSF course and start riding!

Here's a picture of her on the trailer:

Name:  1Y7WKsK.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  117.9 KB

She needs a few things, and has obviously been down at least once, but runs strong.
I need:
  • new seat (or possibly have this one redone, the foam isn't too messed up, might be salvagable)
  • new ignition (someone tried to steal it and you have to find the "sweet spot" to get the key to turn to on)
  • clutch and brake levers don't match
  • brake pedal, it's bent pretty good
  • the chain and sprocket could be changed
  • battery is kinda old
  • and lastly, once I get very confident about riding, I'll buy a new fairing kit

On the plus side, as previously said, she runs like a champ, shifts through gears fine, forks seem to not be bent, brakes work really well, came with a DynoJet power commander already set to Low (As I undertsand, this lowers the bikes power so it might be beneficial to me as a newer rider?), nice exhaust (not sure on the brand though, but it sounds great), newer tires, and a full tank of gas haha.

I look forward to being a part of the group and hope to be practicing in parking lots soon after I take the MSF course and get myself some gear!

Old 11-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard.

You're one of the few new riders who has mentioned taking the MSF course - a very good start! I took the basic course 3 years ago even though I started riding decades ago. I just learned things on my own and probably developed a few bad habits along the way. The MSF teaches you the right way.

Also glad to see you mentioned getting some proper riding gear. That and the MSF class can save your bacon.

Post some "after" pics once you get your bike looking the way you want it.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF!!! That's the way you do it. You find a used bike that mechanically is sound for cheap that you can fix up a bit. You'll get to know your bike, plus you've saved some money.

As far as the power commander - that's not how they work. Power Commanders (PCIII) adjust the fuel mix to more accurately tune your motorcycle. It doesn't act in a "low" power mode for limited hp, or "high" power mode for more power. Its basically for when you start modifying your bike, it allows the bike to still run with the correct A/F ratio, and it smooths out the fueling so that the power is more manageable when you twist the wrist.

You should put up a thread documenting your rebuild of the bike when you start getting into it. It will help other members who need to do maintenance and its easier for people to help you when they can see pictures of what you're working on.

Thanks for signing up. Enjoy the MSF - it's a lot of fun

Old 11-05-2013, 11:26 PM

Welcome to CBRF... Conrice is spot on... Your going about getting into riding in the sensible fashion and being cautious like you are will save you from learning thing the hard way... aka, the painful way... Good on you...

Old 11-06-2013, 03:38 AM
Welcome Crew

hi and welcome to the forum and 2wheels
glad you have got your head screwed on and are starting your biking life safely.good idea to get a bike to work on as well as you will know your way round the bike as well

Old 11-06-2013, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Hi and welcome aboard.

You're one of the few new riders who has mentioned taking the MSF course - a very good start! I took the basic course 3 years ago even though I started riding decades ago. I just learned things on my own and probably developed a few bad habits along the way. The MSF teaches you the right way.

Also glad to see you mentioned getting some proper riding gear. That and the MSF class can save your bacon.

Post some "after" pics once you get your bike looking the way you want it.
Definitely will!

Originally Posted by Conrice
Welcome to CBRF!!! That's the way you do it. You find a used bike that mechanically is sound for cheap that you can fix up a bit. You'll get to know your bike, plus you've saved some money.

As far as the power commander - that's not how they work. Power Commanders (PCIII) adjust the fuel mix to more accurately tune your motorcycle. It doesn't act in a "low" power mode for limited hp, or "high" power mode for more power. Its basically for when you start modifying your bike, it allows the bike to still run with the correct A/F ratio, and it smooths out the fueling so that the power is more manageable when you twist the wrist.

You should put up a thread documenting your rebuild of the bike when you start getting into it. It will help other members who need to do maintenance and its easier for people to help you when they can see pictures of what you're working on.

Thanks for signing up. Enjoy the MSF - it's a lot of fun
That's exactly what I was hoping to find! I really feel like I got very lucky.
Exactly, more money for gear!

Oh! I read that once you make changes to the fuel or air system with fuel injected bikes, you have to install one otherwise it causes the mixture to be off and have issues, but I didn't know that it was it's only purpose.
Well, I wish it was the other way, but hey, at least I already have a nice exhaust and they at least did that right (unlike painting the fairings, which they didn't remove them from the bike, didn't prep correctly, etc.).

Absolutely, I can't wait. Where would my build thread go? I noticed yours is in the Current CBR forum, but when I look in the F4i forum, I don't seem to see other build threads. Maybe they just get buried?

Originally Posted by RydnaCBR
Welcome to CBRF... Conrice is spot on... Your going about getting into riding in the sensible fashion and being cautious like you are will save you from learning thing the hard way... aka, the painful way... Good on you...
Thank you!

Originally Posted by wheelnut
hi and welcome to the forum and 2wheels
glad you have got your head screwed on and are starting your biking life safely.good idea to get a bike to work on as well as you will know your way round the bike as well
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the warm welcome!

Old 11-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi and welcome to CBRF! Your thread should go in the f4i section, although I'm sure you found that out already. Don't be afraid to look around all the other forums as well. Everyone here is more then willing to help, and the thing about cbrs, they kinda get in your blood.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum,

Ask any questions you need - it doesn't look too bad so I think your buddy has steered you straight on it. Good to see you've got the ATGATT mind-set.

Cheers, SB

Old 11-11-2013, 09:07 PM

Those F4i's are great bikes, and you will appreciate this one even more doing the work on your own, congrats on the new ride man!