New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

F2 Newbie from Bryson City NC

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F2 Newbie from Bryson City NC

Just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself- So hello, My name is Bill and I'm from the mountains of Western North Carolina and recently purchased a 93 CBR 600. GREAT DEAL. Have a few question sright of the bat for anyone who decides to read this and has a bit more expertise regarding the bike than I do- I am looking for the best place on the Web to purchase tires for my bike and also have a question regarding a bit of a problem I am having with the throttle response in the lower RPMs. I'm thinking maybe that I just need to clean the carbs and Synch them? It acts like the cylinders are loading up after I've been off the throttle and start to accelerate again. Its not bad really, but it's just not as responsive as I believe it should be. The bike has 17,100 miles on it. Any suggestions as what the best place to start may be? Thanks for any input as I'm more familiar with two stroke dirt bikes!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

Hello Bill, welcome to the forums. The F2 is a great bike, and with a hair over 17k on it its barely broken in!!

the sputtering could be a few things. A good carb cleaning is never a bad idea and a very good place to start. another is whether it has the stock exhaust or an aftermarket one. if its not OEM the jets may need to be adjusted and/or changed and tuned.

Stop by the F2 section and check out the stickys. there is a very helpful walkthrough on carb disassembly and cleaning.

Lets see it! Photos are almost demanded upon entry, lol.

Enjoy the forums and ride safe.

-Fearless-

Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there Bill, congrats on your new bike. As with any used vehicle that's purchased, it's always good to give it a good tune-up. Change the oil, coolant, plugs, airfilter, ect... A good carb cleaning may be in order, but perhaps try running some Sea Foam, or Gunk Fuel System Cleaner with Regane through it first.
For tires, I'd suggest eBay. Not from independent sellers (unless you're feeling lucky), but from dedicated store vendors with good ratings. That's also a great place to shop for any other parts you may need, new & used.
There's lots of knowledgeable members here that can answer just about any question you may have, so don't be bashful.
Welcome to CBRF

Old 03-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat

Welcome to the forums!

as far as wheels go,
I usually head over to motorcycle superstore..
they have free shipping usually... and I got my wheels in 2 days!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

For our bikes, I hear the Pilot Powers are awesome...

But personally, I use shinko ravens!

Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Forum Bill. Tons of places on the web to get quality tires at very
reasonable prices some with free shipping. Drop into your 600 section and ask fellow
members for recommendations based on their purchases and specific exxperiences
on tires relevent to riding styles etc...... there's a wide range of tires for different
purposes etc.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome aboard, Bill!
You could try a little seafoam like incognito said. It can actually help a bit, and it's a cheap start.
Also, low in the rpms (if that's the case) can seem kinda sluggish. Not saying that's the case, tho.
For tires, I'd have to agree with motorcycle superstore. There are a ton of good places to get tires, tho. Moto superstore is usually real competitive, though, and they definitely get you the product on time. I've gotten a few sets from them and haven't been disappointed yet.
Anyway, good to have you here and Ride Safe!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the input!!! I am gettin a little more familiar with the CBR as I've done a little looking around on the web for some info. I really haven't had much time to mess with the bike- I've put 40 miles on it since I bought it 3 weeks ago!!! NOT GOOD-lol. It does have a D&D aftermarket pipe so I think I probably need to do a little work in the pilot area. I noticed it takes a long time to warm up and tends to backfire a bit when I close the throttle after getting into a little bit. Think I'll see what I can do with the screws before I order some new jets. THANKS! Oh- Looking for a common service manual-anybody know where I can download one????

Old 04-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, you can get the service manual for the F2 at http://stephygee.com/

Old 04-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Default Thanks for the Info.!!!

Thanks alot for the address- just got it!!!
That should help greatly. TTYL.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie

Hello & welcome to the site Bill!
As far as the slow throttle response issue,I'm with everyone else here,a good carb cleaning to start or use Seafoam
Tires,tires,tires.....which one to get........almost a personal preference nowadays,since most tires today are soo good.The fellas over in the F2 forum can send you in the right direction there.
Good luck and looking forward to some pics

Quick Reply: F2 Newbie from Bryson City NC