New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

engine dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine dies

I'm new here, but have a question about my cbr 600 f4 engine. I have it installed in a 2001 Banshee frame and every time I try to do heavy acceleration in first, it dies immediately. Any sensors or ideas that could be the problem?

Old 04-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be a fuel starvation issue. Hope you can get it going asap.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did the fuel-pump make the transfer? Ditto Gotcbr on this one.
Gonna need more info to really do this one justice.
Try starting a thread in the F4 forum and mention what year your running,
as well.

Welcome to the forums. Ern

Old 04-14-2012, 11:41 PM

The tank is full. The fuel pump is delivering fuel. It runs insanely strong from 2nd gear up to where you chicken out on atv tires, but if you go to do a donut or do a burnout, or even just half throttle in 1st it dies like its some kind of shut off sensor. I've read about all the different kinds of shutoffs like the bank angle sensor, but I don't think mine has one. Is there any other sensors that have something to do with force?

Also, as soon as it dies, I immediately fire it right back up and it acts fine with no hesitation or rough idle whatsoever. As if something electrical shut it off, and the second after the g-force is gone, its fine. But its fine in 2nd gear and up. And it doesn't do it sometimes, it does it every time. at least its consistant.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:05 AM

How do you have your fuel line set up? Did you set it up accordingly to the new bike? You can't just put a motor in a new bike and expect it to run perfect. Let us know everything, and I guarantee someone on here can help you.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:11 AM

fuel line is straight from bottom of fuel cell to fuel pump to carbs. this is installed in a Banshee atv. when it dies, its not any hesitation whatsoever like a fuel issue. it dies like somebody hit the kill switch. I'm having a charging issue even though the battery is fully charged. gunna replace the regulator when I get the new one, but find it hard to believe it runs perfect in every gear in every way all the time except in extreme g-force manuvers in 1st gear only. this is a complete custom deal, not the normal cbr motorcycle. there has to be a sensor somewhere that I'm not aware of like a bank angle sensor that's screwing with me. hell, from what I've read, maybe it is the charging doing it... just sounds odd.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have yet to say, what engine you have. An "F4" can be either carbed or fuel-injected,
depending on year. Hard to say what's missing/wrong without the year included in the details.

Ern

Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 AM

Sorry, I thought the F4 was still just carburetors and the the F4i was the fuel injected ones. Its a 2000 and has Carbs. Again, the fuel is routed from the fuel cell to the fuel pump to the carbs, seems to me if it were a fuel issue, it would do it in other gears besides !st only and have a spit or sputter for at least a split second before it would shut down. The problem is I've been doing mechanic work for decades and haven't found a engine, tranny, rear end, carburetor,and so on that I can't fix. but electrical is my weak suit. I'm not an idiot in that field, but no means an expert. I'm willing to bet money this is an electrical issue of some sort the way it dies instantly.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 AM

I'm having the same problem with my F1. Did you ever figure out what the problem is?

Quick Reply: engine dies