New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

dropping first bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 07:40 AM
Muz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: dropping first bike

I haven't dropped it yet, but have had a few close calls. The most recent one was when I was pulling up at an intersection I went over a palm frond and my front tyre locked up slid along with the palm frond under it. I got of the brakes just as the bike started leaning over. Also watch out for white lines as they can be f%^$ing slippery.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:27 PM

Came real close once. Had been riding for a long time non-stop. My *** was hurting so bad I was barely paying attention to the road and felt that something stupid was going to happen if I didn't take a break. Convinced my friends to let us stop for a few minutes. When we stopped I put the kick stand down, but it didn't go down all the way and the spring popped it back to the stowed position. I get off the bike on the left side and start leaning it on the stand, but the stand isn't there. Luckily I caught it before it hit the ground, but about blew a hernia doing so. Turns out I was right, something stupid did happen.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:44 PM

dont break hard over loose gravel or sand front tire starts skidding and when it stops you wont be on the bike anymore. I saw a buddy take a turn to fast and lost it. totaled his brand new gsxr600 that he just gased up and broke his wrist. Don't ride past your limits.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:16 PM

Sure enough...I dropped mine the day I bought it.

Picked it up about 2 hours from my house. Rode back 2 hours in the heat (it was very hot..Aug. weather). First time I had ever ridin' that long (second time was almost 10 hours worth...needless to say I'm not going to do that again any time soon..LOL). Stoped at a stop sign on a hill and went to pull out, but a truck was coming and didn't think I would make it, so I hit the breaks (first misstake), then in the confusion I hit the clutch (second misstake). I drifted back down the hill and started to lean left. The dang bike was so heavy I couldn't keep it up and I was so tired from riding for so long. CRASH!! My foot got caught under the bike. So I'm sitting there, stuck, cursing up a storm at my bike and at myself. Thank goodness one of my friends was with me. He had to get out of his car and pick the bike up off me. I rode home sooooo slow that day...LOL.

Now I just laugh at myself for what happened.

Old 09-16-2005, 03:22 PM

I was pulling up onto the sidewalk outside of my work, and hit my foot on one of those small concrete parking barriers, when I was going to put my foot down. I weigh like 150lbs, and am 5'8"... I tried to not let it hit the ground. But it did. It did go down slowly though. Nothing but a couple of scratches, and a few choice words. Then I looked around to make sure no one saw it happen.

Old 09-16-2005, 03:30 PM

Hehe ill be honest.. truth hurts too lol.
I bought my first bike when i turned 18. was a 84 vfr 1000. brand new tires, and well the mold wax, or what ever it was was still on the tires, i thought id be cool and hotdog it out of the parking lot. and sliped and slid for bout 25 feet.

My words of advice, buy somethin you can handle expecially if youve never riddin before, and the moment you get cocky on your bike is the moment you mess up.

Old 09-19-2005, 12:19 PM

make sure your shoelaces are tied up real nice ,no excess strings flapping trust me this spells disaster at a red light,,its like being in a clip pedal off a mountain bike and panic sets in,,just be careful and watch out for morons on the road and always check your own equipment b-4 you ride,tire pressure,,levers,,nuts n bolts if it dont feel right it prob aint,,get it checked.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:12 PM

I havent dropped my 05 cbr600rr yet in the 3500 miles i have on it. I dont believ that its mandatory either. just be careful with it. I have had many close calls riding though. Gravel i think is the reason im gonna eat $h!t in the future. ANd if you have any riding experience at all including dirt bike, i dont recomened taking msf begginer coarses. I was board the whole time, and its not that im reckless or ignorant, but i do say you should take intermediet classes.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:53 PM

ORIGINAL: bone1cbr929

make sure your shoelaces are tied up real nice ,no excess strings flapping trust me this spells disaster at a red light,,its like being in a clip pedal off a mountain bike and panic sets in,,just be careful and watch out for morons on the road and always check your own equipment b-4 you ride,tire pressure,,levers,,nuts n bolts if it dont feel right it prob aint,,get it checked.

Well, since good quality motorcycle boots don't have "shoelaces", then this shouldn't be a problem. I see too many young guys out there with no gear, or very little gear. Good motorcycle boots run from about $200-$400 and they can save you. Most common injury in most motorcycle accidents are of the ankle/foot.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

Drop the bike...which one and which time

It's a well known fact that motorcycles are most unstable when at a slower speed...too bad most of us find out the hard way

Well Said. I have dropped my 125 and my 450 (lightweight bikes). Was off balance and down they go. Dirtbikes are meant to be beat up. My opinion, there are some situations you don't anticipate and next thing you know, the bike is on the ground. If you have that crazt mentality, "I'll never go down on my bike." Think again.

Quick Reply: dropping first bike