New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Does this sound like a reasonable deal on a 2002 954RR with 25k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this sound like a reasonable deal on a 2002 954RR with 25k miles?

Hey guys,

I've been learning about the CBR954RR all week and was fortunate to discover this forum today in my thirst for more knowledge. I found one local to me for sale at what seems like a reasonable price, but would love some feedback from those more knowledgeable than myself.

The ad reads like this, and the pictures of the bike look good (but are fairly low resolution). It's a silver/black bike, and at this point I've sent him a note asking for more details about any other services done (ie: valve inspection/adjustments) and to see higher resolution pictures of the fairing damage. Most of the 954's I've seen are priced closer to $5k so this one looks priced competitively, and he appears to be slightly negotiable too. Your thoughts are welcome.

2002 Honda CBR954RR for sale. This is a very powerful and fast bike. Well kept and always stored in garage. Almost 25K miles. Previous owner layed down, but only minor cosmetic damage, rides smooth and straight. I have been the owner of this bike for the last 7 years and have not had any issues with it other than routine maintenance (replaced oil, battery, tires, chain etc.). Oil recently changed (synthetic only). Bike has flush mount front and rear turn signals, frame sliders, and Two Brothers Racing exhaust pipe. Sale also includes silver XL HJC helmet and Joe Rocket jacket. I hate to get rid of this bike, but I never ride it anymore. Asking $4000 OBO, not looking for any trades. Bike is currently uninsured, so I will not allow any test rides without full asking price (cash) in hand.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum Steve.

As for the 954, its worth what you are willing to pay. If the bike is as stated, in good condition, & has been well maintained, 4k could be a decent deal. Do your due diligence on inspection. Note any needs the bike may have & realize you'll be adding that to your total price to get it road-ready.

Good luck.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:46 PM

Thank you gotcbr...much appreciated.

Although the list of questions in my mind about the CBR954RR is ever increasing, obviously the basics do apply for inspecting the bike so thanks for your good reminder of common sense.

Since I haven't ridden that many different types of motorcycles in my riding career, I'm probably not the best at evaluating new bikes. However, I'll likely bring a much more knowledgeable friend with me (as I've done before) to spot potential issues I might miss.

Most of the others I've seen in my local area seem to be priced between $4700 and $5500, even with similar mileage...so the one I found does intrigue me assuming it checks out. Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted on how things go. Since the seller hasn't even returned my e-mail to him yet, it's way too early to get excited about anything.

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Welcome to the forum Steve.

As for the 954, its worth what you are willing to pay. If the bike is as stated, in good condition, & has been well maintained, 4k could be a decent deal. Do your due diligence on inspection. Note any needs the bike may have & realize you'll be adding that to your total price to get it road-ready.

Good luck.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:33 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF

good luck on the purchase......like gotcbr said.....make sure you check out the bike well.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:35 PM

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome scorpionvmu. I should have mentioned my other 'keeper' bike is a 2006 Triumph Daytona 675...do those get any love here in the CBRF?

Ever since I sat on a CBR I knew I had to have one though...so it's only a matter of time since I really love the way Honda builds motorcycles.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the sound of that Triumph triple, in any of their bikes, and this would be my next bike if I a) had the money and b) it felt right size wise:

Old 05-27-2011, 10:24 PM

I did recently get a chance to see a 2011 675R at my local Triumph dealer and it was truly impressive. Mine is a first year 2006 model in scorched yellow but it's definitely one sexy girl.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Thanks a lot for the warm welcome scorpionvmu. I should have mentioned my other 'keeper' bike is a 2006 Triumph Daytona 675...do those get any love here in the CBRF? ...
As long as they don't spontaneously combust! ;-) Only the Triumph Daytona guys will get this. ;-)

All joking aside, I like the 675. Got pics?

Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 AM

Here are a couple pictures of my Daytona.

I'm still having no luck getting the guy with the CBR954RR to write me back, but I see that he did re-list his ad since the original expired. Not much of an update unfortunately.

Attached Thumbnails Does this sound like a reasonable deal on a 2002 954RR with 25k miles?-photo-4-.jpg   Does this sound like a reasonable deal on a 2002 954RR with 25k miles?-photo-5-.jpg  
Old 05-31-2011, 12:21 PM

Very nice. I like the gold color on that bike.