New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

cbr right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cbr right for me?

I've been lurking around trying to find something that would help a noob make up his mind when it comes to what bike to get, but, nothing seems to be coming up.

So here's the story.I've decided to start riding. I need a bike though. I found the R6 to be very attractive, but, alot of those guys didn't recommend it as a starter bike. They stated something like a ninja 250 (or something along the lines of that) would be more suitable. However, I've heard of ppl starting out with 600cc bikes without any problems.

I want to start with a cbr600 f4i but is this too much for a starter? I really can't bare the thought of having to pay for some broke down used bike that I may have trouble reselling and losing a good $500 in the process.

Thanks for any help

Old 06-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Default RE: cbr right for me?

Welcome to the board Jowyun! I am also a new rider, I picked up my first street bike about 2 months ago. I have never ridden a street bike before and the 2006 F4i became my first bike. I have ridden dirt bikes for about 2 years so i have had experience ridding bikes. I have to say that so far i have had no problems handling the power or anything like that. I think that if you take it easy and you dont abuse the power that the bike can dish out, you should be ok. But I will say that if i had no prior experience with dirtbikes, buying a 600cc sport bike would have been a reayy stupid move. That was my orginal plan, but i decided to at least get some experience on a dirtbike, and it has helped a bunch. So i would say that you "should" be ok on a F4i, as long as you are not stupid on it.....as in, racing everythings that is on the road, tring to do wheelies down the highway, showing off for your firends or for the ladies, ect. I guess just respect the bike and it will respect you! sorry if this sounded like a lecture or something. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted!
-Nate

Old 06-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Banned

I've heard of ppl starting out with 600cc bikes without any problems
Any modern 600cc sportbike whether it be an RR, R6, F4i, GSXR600 will be the same to a noob. It is a matter of self-control and maturity whether or not youget hurt or crashin the learning process.Some people believe you will learn bad habitsby learning on a 600cc sportbike.I can't disagree that you can start on a 600cc, After the MSF, I rode my buddy's 1000RR for a while before I picked the F4i.

But I am of the opinion that whetheryou learn on aF4i or a Ninja 250 it is your brainthat will either kill you or keep you safe. The next question is do you trust your brain with 30 hp or do you trust it with 100hp?

Old 06-17-2007, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I consider myself not to be a total artard on the road.Ever since my first and only accident, I've been very careful. Barely missed getting crushed by a rig 2 years back.

My main worry is just whether or not the bike would be too powerful. It's gonna be my first time afterall... (I don't even have my license yet). Gotta work out my finances. I'm a cheap bastard lol.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:25 AM

I had the same problem as you when I started about 2 years ago, what size bike do I get and at what cost? I picked up a 1998 Suzi Katana 600cc for 2500 and it turned out to be one of the best decisions I made. A few mods and it kept up with the new 600s off the line, couldn't hang top end though. I rode that until I decided it was time to move up and got an 01 CBR 929 for 3800 and I love it. I think if I had started with the 929 I wouldn't have made it this far, and, knock on wood, I haven't so much as scratched a bike since I've been riding. Now my girlfriend wants to ride so the Katana has turned into the hand-me-down and it's getting a hot pink paint job. All in all, I've paid out 6300, have 2 titles in hand, and still haven't paid as much as you would for an 07 600cc. Hope this helps, however everyone is different and opinions are plenty. Welcome and good luck!

Name:  DSC000082.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  50.8 KB

Old 06-18-2007, 02:03 AM

If you want to start on a 600 F4i i say go for it. It only goes as fast as you make it and you will be happy with your purchase.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:17 AM

ORIGINAL: fuze

If you want to start on a 600 F4i i say go for it. It only goes as fast as you make it and you will be happy with your purchase.

/agree

Old 06-18-2007, 02:49 AM

i've been riding for 4 years nowandmy first bike was a suzuki tl1000s (v-twin)and i learned the hard way! Wrong bike for me to start off on! But i learned how to handle the power and gelled with the bike and stepped my game up to the inline 4 1999 900rr!!!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:06 PM

Thanks alot for the support and warm welcome guys. Speed is not too big of a problem for me. I'm probably not gonna be "speed racer". I just dont want to dump money into a bike i know i'll be trading (i.e. ninja 250).

With your responses I think I'm gonna go for it. thx again!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isn't just the power. These bikes have very sensitive brakes and steering. I would guess that at least as many people crash because of grabbing too much brake as from giving it too much throttle.

Yes, you can survive having a modern supersport for your first bike. But you will become a better rider faster if you start out on something that lets you push your limits and develop your skills without punishing you for the least little mistake.