New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

cbr first time owner f2/f3

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile cbr first time owner f2/f3

hello everyone, bought my first bike/cbr 600f its a 96 motor so im told with the body and 91 frame. bought her running and in decent shape for 600 bucks! Ive always wanted a gsxr but this was a deal i couldnt turn down. I have pics but im still learning the whole setup here. soo now about the bike I do need to do some work luckily im mechanically inclined ..... with cars ha. I know and understand carburators so thats a plus. When I went to pick up the bike it was no longer running and hadnt ran for a year. I took off the tank to find the vacuum line not hooked up and not allowing the plunger to open feeding her fuel. fixed and fired right up ....... first thing i notice on the bike is there is a yoshi exhuast.... sweet is it jetted? well as i ran it home with no brake lights or blinkers, which is now fixed, it felt very weak from 5 grand and up.... im sorry not weak but breaking up a lot .... carbs need to be synced im assuming? and also assuming it was never jetted?? it wants to go and take off but is breaking up as if it its not getting the gas flow it needs. also need to break down the carbs and clean them as soon as my jet kit comes in.... which i have yet to order because I would like know where the best location is for me to purchase one I dont have a lot of money so this is a semi budgeted rebuild/build. get the bike home runs great shut her off..... then start her back up, just kidding, she was completely dead ok pulled out my micrometer tested the battery ... dead. tested the stator good not great but not bad all lines at 2 ohm. check the regulator and its shot .... the plugs were melted into the unit itself dead give away so i stripped all the wires off the bike and bought a gsxr regulator for an 03 the plugs were semi identical and i read online somewhere it was a good upgrade so i went with it and man was that a good idea. I had to tighten the chain as it was so so so loose checked the sprockets and noticed they were all in great shape gave it some lube good to go. brakes and blinkers rewired horn working. everytime i start the bike cold its got a little valve ticking then as it warms up it smooths out soooo nice. I am assuming that is a oil delivery issue??? or is that common? brakes..... my biggest nemesis front brakes were sticky really sticky changed front master bleed the brakes they work good but now when i ride i can hear a little grinding from the front end it sounds like its faint but its there new pads? or pads sticking possibly a siezed piston? rear brake non existent! i had a brake for a little then it dissapeared so i bleed the lines and noticed that when i pumped the brake the fluid didnt squirt out very hard it just kinda trickled out???? uhhh ok change the master cylinder still the same thing??? im a little baffled i did buy a used ebay master cylinder damnit its prolly needing a rebuild???? id much rather do a upgrade to an f4i is that possible or does it not matter? is there even an upgrade? I did a little research and havent really found anything upgrade for street just track but im a street ride so i dont need overkill although I am an experienced and hard rider. back to the rear brake i take off the caliper and its not siezed at all piston floats nicely so I am now assuming that the pressure from my master is not pushing into my caliper enough? my pedal goes flat with no resistance. if i have to rebuild the caliper and master id much rather do an upgrade if there is one available .... please help!? Clutch shifts well but my lever is loose do to p.o.s. lazy assed prior owner using a sheet rock scew to hold it in...... wtf. fix that with a regular bolt but noticed im missing the spacer neede for the lever to make sure its solid. I can find those at hardware stores so that will be done asap. my cables are frayed and junky so cable upgrade is soon to come. throttle sticks bad ... not good. go to lube up the lines and low and behold zip tied to the tube a lower throttle cable ziptied because the tube is broke.... ordered gotta pick it up and get new cables they are sticky and the one line is bent prolly from a dump. My headlight is hardwired in with a power constant to the brakes uhhh ok not sure why the plugs are there for the headlight so im a little confused... I would like to do a upgrade to HID any thoughts on that??? taillight has a crack so im replacing that with a new smoked out lens. I have the intigraded lights so thats nice. I have no passenger foot pegs so those are needed ..... but i kinda like them off as id rather ride alone but they would be nice just in case something strange wants a ride hahahaha. tires are brand new big plus. fairings are broken scratched ugly ugly ugly nice from far far from nice. bike is now naked just front cowl and tank is all i need. getting sliders soon anyways and going from the beat up read and white to a flat metallic steel iron gun metal grey if you may. the right cowl or fairing in the front has a huge fracture so im going to neon green ziptie cross stitch for some character im a huge fan of cross stitching with zip ties as an accent its different and fun and have used it on drift cars in emergencys haha. the wind shield is broken so i removed that for now. the guages all work but they dont light up at night so i have to do some modification or get new gauges... which wouldnt be a bad idea since it is cracked by the speedo and the speedo doesnt even have a lense another wtf. is there a better guage cluster i can upgrade to????? I am modify capable and wouldnt mind something different I am not a big fan of digital guages. the bracket in which the guages sit and the rest of the front is bent and beat up i may need to buy a new bracket but ill know more when i break the front of the bike down....... so basically i have some work to do but all in all the bike is in decent condition any help would be greatly apriciated and to anyone in the northeastern PA area ..... lets go riding hit me up......

thank you everyone for reading this and hope to hear from you soon

Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Ya doing there - nothing like a quick intro - Welcome to the Forum

Old 05-14-2013, 12:42 AM

haha yea that was a lot.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:37 AM
Welcome Crew

hi and welcome

Old 05-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

welcome to the forum. nothing wrong with a novel to intro yourself. as far as some help, here we go

1) carbs - a quick and easy way to see if it's jetted is to check and see if there are still caps over the pilot mixture screws on the bottom. if they're still there, the carbs have probably never been messed with- let alone jetted. they may just need a good cleaning (you said you only fixed the vacuum on the tank to get fuel right?). you shouldn't get a serious change enough with a slip-on can to affect power that much (your weak spot around 5k). jet kits are easy to find on ebay. in fact, there's pretty much where i find everything - unless i need new gaskets, o-rings, etc - i tend to use ronayers.com

2) R/R - most reg/rect's are the exact same. they all do the same job. and on CBRs, they're known as a weak spot, so replacing it from any bike is a good idea. i'm sure the gixxer one is a great replacement.

3) ticking on start up - i'd say it's not an oil delivery problem. do you know for sure how many miles are on the motor? i'm not sure where you are located, but maybe try a thinner cold start oil (like a 5w40 (rotella t6)) if you're located somewhere where it's still a little cooler. who knows what kind of oil the guy had in it before you. besides, it's probably best to change oil/filter anyways. and with bikes, people tend to not ride them that often - but they do burn a little oil and sometimes people don't keep an eye on the level. make sure it has enough oil always. also, if the idle is too low, it can cause a slight ticking noise too. it should be around 1100-1300 rpms.

4) brakes - no big deal. id say it is a piston getting stuck. if they haven't been cleaned in a long time (or ever), they can get stuck. upgrading is not a bad idea. (for example, on my cbr 954 fighter, i'm going to be using a 2004 600rr M/C in correlation with 2007 1000rr calipers with BYO SS lines). so upgrading to an f4i master would be a good idea. generally, mechanics are the ones parting out bikes on ebay, i've bought a lot of used parts and have never had an issue.

the grinding probably is pad related and a piston or 2 not backing off like they should (again, clean them with a tooth brush and soapy water). new pads are cheap. ebay pads are good to use (i've used organics with no problems and i have a set of sixity HH pads ready for the fighter).

id assume the rear brake just needs a bleed if the piston is clean-ish.

5) Previous Owners- they can suck sometimes... those bushings for the bolt do help to make it move freely and let you keep the bolt tight at the same time. that sucks about the throttle cables... did you ask why he was selling? it sounds like he was in over his head. it's good you're going through the bike - it sounds like it could end up saving your life

6) HID - they're a good upgrade. they're easy to wire and don't draw extra power. i'm not quite sure i follow what you're talking about as far as the headlight plugs and being hardwired to the brake light? do you mean it's hard-wired to the running light? or as in, the headlight only comes one when you use the brake? google image search an f3 wiring diagram and use that for guidance

7) fairings - i hate fairings. keep 'em off! they're just packaging from the factory! but it's a personal preference, if you want to eventually replace them, just wait for 'em to come up on ebay - good oem ones do come up. but i'd recommend staying away from the china fairings on ebay

8) gauge - you need the f3 gauge (which is what i assume you have since you have a '96 motor) because there is an air solenoid in the gauges. you can bypass it if you want to upgrade. trailtech and koso make nice gauges. sticking with analog will save you some $. make sure you get weatherproof and vibration proof gauges

hope you get those issues sorted pretty quick. glad you joined the forum. it's good to have mechanically inclined people join. make sure stick around, it's a great community.

Last edited by Conrice; 05-14-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:52 PM

awesome man thanks for the info!!!!!! ok so I stripped down the bike today as i wanted to fix the front fairings and repaint they are the only fairings im keeping. my color scheme is gunna be off the hook im going with a flat mettalic gun metal grey with tifany blue accents and wheels eventually and for the fractures im goin with a neon green zip tie cross stitch to hold it together when im done ill have tons of pics of when i started and what I used and how i did it to help others hopefully.

The headlight is hardwired into the fuse box .... i have a ground wire grounded to the frame then i have a power wire held in by the headlight fuse i think i said taillight before but its the headlight fuse. as i went through all the wiring something seemed missing my headlight plug was there but the wires started into the harness and then disapeared so i have to spend another day tearing that apart to fix it for now the light works. I think there is another issue with the rear brake... the pedal is way to sloppy i bleed it out but it doesnt seem to be pushing much fluid which would make me believe that the master has issues .... f4i upgrade it is ... but first do you know if it is compatable??? they appear the same but yano how that goes haha

I havent yet checked out the carbs i waisted to much time today rewiring and cleaning and wrapping and more rewiring hahaha

Im going to move this project of mine to a different thread and keep everyone updated!!!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM

probably, something is just messed up with the connector for the bulb. i know i did that on a headlight one time when i couldn't really figure out what was wrong with it.

so long as it mounts up (f4i rear master cylinder) - it will work. i was talking more about front M/C's because they pretty much all fit because all clip-ons/handlebars are 7/8 inch. they do look the same, but i can't say 100% that it'll fit.

i'll look forward to your build thread

do work!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum,

Good to see your into your project - do post some pictures when you can.

Good to see the boys assisting you as well

Cheers, SB

Old 05-15-2013, 10:59 PM

how do I post pictures i cant seem to make it work??????

Old 05-16-2013, 07:21 AM

using photobucket is the easiest way. just use the image code and they embed

Quick Reply: cbr first time owner f2/f3