New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Cbr 600 f4 2002

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by h0ndafanat1c
im in the same boat! picked up my 2000 f4 today and just waiting to learn more about it, doing research and being careful. ordered safety equipment today and will be taking the safety course.
I never rode before a week or so ago SO......
depending on what type of person you are what your experience is ...when you hop on and throttle in just remember you have a clutch and a kill switch ... if things get carried away easier to start and try again than picking yourself off the ground and/or the bike....

and man the rush when you get it rolling and start feeling it out.. it's amazing
enjoy it... it tends to feel like work while you are learning...

i by far am no expert...it's just what i am feeling right now.. i hope it goes well for you ....

took mine out for the 3rd time today got it all legal and ready to go....thing i get a issue with it is the damn take off.. easing into gear with out jitter or thrust... but its improving, i will probably do another trip to a parking lot if it is nice tomorrow.
last time i just practice turns, leaning, braking distances, acceleration , slow rolling. seems like work but the added comfort with how the bike acts really helped with today... over all improvements are wonderful....

make adjustments to throttle and clutch to fit your comfort zone.{service book will tell you factory specs} i found that the previous owner cranked his throttle cable so tight it was difficult to ease in.... he was a stunt biker so i get it ..might tighten back later on after i am comfortable. NO STUNTING FOR ME

hope this helps with what you are about to experience.. this just what i am experiencing now.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:53 PM

holy CRAP...... ok here is a question alright i am new to this riding and been struggling with 1st gear... so something clicked as time went on it seemed every bike i had seen the rear sprocket was smaller than mine.. so after a ride today i decided to take a look at it i have a 60T rear with a 16T front ... in reality i feel i have handled the bike pretty good but, what could the effects be on the bike besides a real easy wheelie.....Which i feel pretty lucky i haven't ended up doing by accident. i am taking it back to stock , but what extra strain could it have put on the bike over all. am going through this bike top to bottom over the winter.... i have already decided i am doing a clutch kit and valve shims

REMEMBER I HAVE NEVER RODE A BIKE TILL THIS ONE....

Old 07-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

It wouldn't hurt anything.

Its likely less stresfull. However it IS more likely that they ran into or thru the rev limiter more often. That would be not good.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:13 AM

alright just a little bit of a update....
this new bike has been a amazing adventure... the rush and the feeling is amazing and getting into the throttle a little bit more. syncing up the shifts a lot better. low speed control improving by leaps and bounds. still have a lot of practice on my leans. by far i have no trust for anything with 4 or more wheels .... still a little bit a of white knuckle riding... again this is a awesome outlet for information tips ect.

thanks for being a source of info and guidance

Old 08-18-2012, 01:36 AM

well a little more of a update....
went out got myself a good half inch set of metric sockets started checking torque specs. already had a torque wrench just not the right size sockets. still prowling the site for info.
i just returned from a 2 week vacation and i really missed riding but family time was completely amazing. more than worthy trade off.
well hit up riding twice this week and really enjoying it more than expected. shifting and comfort with how the bike handles starts to come more natural.
counter steering how natural it is for the bike to make high speed turns and accurate entrance and exit of a turn. at first it feels so damn odd.

still have not forgot my limitations, always learning and watching out for idiots. ride safe

Old 08-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Have you replaced that sprocket yet? Consider going back to stock or no more than +2 in the rear, before you get accustomed to the bike set up like that.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stlcbr600f4_newb
... still have not forgot my limitations, always learning and watching out for idiots. ride safe
"A man's got to know his limitations"...Dirty Harry. ;-)

Glad you are enjoying riding. :-)

Old 08-19-2012, 04:52 AM

No i have yet to swap sprockets.. yeah i agree with that but as for now this is what i have. having that 60T on the back really is a real challenge the wrong place in the RPM band and it gets real torqued and i feel the back end sink hard.granted that keeps out of the throttle.
it's going to change things pretty good when i do change it. i am concidering holding off till i get my new stator, bearings and open it up to check clearances and timing belt tension. i was really freaked out about the sprocket size until i learned how to control it. on that note though i am takng it back to stock....

i stay calm loose and far from being cocky about riding. i just figure that my comfort will greatly improve we will see it's a great experience