New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Buying my first motorcycle.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first motorcycle.

I'm looking at getting my first motorcycle, thinking it might be a CBR600RR.
Was looking at Triumph 675, but it seems that Honda makes a good all around bike.
I'm guessing that Honda bikes are as reliable as any motorcycle can get?
I'm looking at used motorcycles, any year better then others?

Last edited by Tacoboy; 11-28-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is that one of my riding buddies has a 675 and its allways giving him BS.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:10 PM

Might consider something smaller than a CBR600RR if this is your first bike. Have you rode before? Altho Honda's are a great bike to look at and are definitely some of the most reliable bikes out there from what I've seen.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello and Welcome to the CBR Forum. Obvious you have only looked at the Triple. It is hell to ride anywhere... Just saying. If this is your first bike. I would be looking into getting a good used bike. Good luck

Old 11-28-2010, 10:19 PM

Welcome Tacoboy,
Asking if you should buy a Honda on the CBR forum is a loaded question. Of course you should buy a Honda. Forget about any other bike, you must buy a Honda. However, since this is your first bike you should consider the basics.
Do you have a license, have you took a safety class? Do you have any experience riding anything, dirt bikes, etc.
How big are you, Height and weight
What type of riding are you planning on doing, commuting, sport riding, track days?

The 600RR is a great bike, first bike or not don't get anything smaller than a 600. With a little common sense and restraint it can be a good learning bike and still give you a thrill a couple years from now.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by tanrush
Welcome Tacoboy,
Asking if you should buy a Honda on the CBR forum is a loaded question. Of course you should buy a Honda. Forget about any other bike, you must buy a Honda. However, since this is your first bike you should consider the basics.
Do you have a license, have you took a safety class? Do you have any experience riding anything, dirt bikes, etc.
What type of riding are you planning on doing, commuting, sport riding, track days?

The 600RR is a great bike, first bike or not don't get anything smaller than a 600. With a little common sense and restraint it can be a good learning bike and still give you a thrill a couple years from now.
I agree. How ever should he look into something a Little less aggressive like the older F4i's?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by tanrush
Welcome Tacoboy,

I do not have a motorcycle license, and planning on starting by taking the safety courses first. last time on a dirt bike was 30-35 years ago (I'm 46).
I'm currently 5' 7" and 300 pounds.
At first i was thinking of getting a dual purpose bike and ridding around New Zealand for a while, my cousin recommend a BMW 650GS, he said you want to have some thing with at least a 600CC engine, so as to be be able to "get out of the way of cars" (stupid drivers in cars).
Then I started looking around and liked the Triumph 675. As some one with 0 bike fixing experience (but some car stuff) I though I should get the most reliable bike, so I started looking at Hondas, first i looked at the Honda VHF1200 (like the dual clutch idea), But it's sounds like way to much power for a beginner. So a Honda in the 600CC ranges sounds right.
If they offered a CBR600CC with the dual clutch, I would buy it in a heart beat.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:03 AM
Official CBRF Decal Man

you sound like you are on the right track by looking at hondas.. its a great idea to start with motorcycle starter course.. as for starting on a 600, I started on a 900rr just remember that the power of the bike is in your hand and please be responsible liek you said a lot of stupid drivers are out there so ride safely when you do get a bike

Old 11-29-2010, 04:17 PM

think u would love the 600rr. that bike feels great underneath u

Old 11-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

I started out on a 900rr also it depends on how comfy you feel. im6'1 and 289lbs and i like the feel of a bigger bike. i never rode a street bike but up and down the road b4 till i got my 900. but i rode some fast dirt bikes like my cr500r so getting on a street bike and just going was kinda easy. its good you have been on a dirt bike b4 it will help you in getting used to the bike and riding safe.

Quick Reply: Buying my first motorcycle.