New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

brand new to motorcycle riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brand new to motorcycle riding

well...hello everyone. im new to all of this. new to the honda family...i just bought an 07 cbr600 today...not getting it til tomorrow. paperwork needs to be done.
let me tell you how i decided to buy a bike...

last year in june of 07...my best friend was killed on a bike in our hometown of queens newyork. it was devestating. i lost my best friend...ive known her for 10years. i have always wanted a bike..tho i have NEVER been on one until maybe 2 months ago. she was a passenger and she flew off...its a long story of the accident. after she died, i was against everything BIKE. whenever i saw a bike on the streets, my eyes would automatically tear.

my husband has had bikes in the past...and hes been wanting one for a while...well, dec 31st arrives and he said he found one in ft lauderdale...so i gave in and said okay...worried the crap out of me, but life does go on. i finally got to ride on a bike...it was tough to begin with...my eyes teared up...i felt as if i was with her...being passenger..her last moments. tough. but i closed my eyes as my husband rode, the wind hitting me, hearing me breathe hard in the helmet....i loved the ride...FINALLY. i felt at peace...she was there with me.

so....after that day...i wanted a bike, again.

today we walked into SunSports here in Fort Myers and i said...let's do it. so now im a proud owner of a 2007 honda cbr600. im stoked. now i havent rode one at all...never been actually riding the bike. crazy right?

now dont get me wrong, i WILL be taking the motorcycle course...i will be much better off with that course under my belt. i do want to learn on my own too....i will be learning tomorrow in a deserted parking lot. im getting frame sliders put on, JUST IN CASE. im not nervous. im fine....excited!!!

i will post tomorrow night (after the superbowl!!) of my day..picking up my new bike...learning how to ride...

thanx for your time....any advice, PLEASE GIVE ME!!

-mallory

Old 02-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Default RE: brand new to motorcycle riding

What an amazing description. Welcome Mallory! Great story...I know exactly what you mean finally feeling at peace.

Sounds like you don't need any advice--you're all geared up with eyes open already, great job. Just remember to put your feet down when you finally come to a stop the first time in that parking lot--ask me how I know!--no, don't. [&o]

Welcome and have a fun ride!

Old 02-03-2008, 04:13 AM
Banned

Welcome Mallory.

any advice, PLEASE GIVE ME!!
Sliders are a must as you know, so the only other advice is to ride at your own pace and wear your gear.

Also read this thread.

https://cbrforum.com/m_74369/tm.htm

Old 02-03-2008, 10:58 AM

Just going to point out the obvious.

When i first started riding, about 1 year ago.. i learned quickly that you are invisible.
you have to pretend that every one in a car is out to kill you..may sound harsh, but its really a life saver.
i live in Bellle Fourche, South dakota..about 20 miles away from STURGIS.. there are so many bike wrecks here every august..and so many deaths as well.. i went down in august of last year..but that was a deer. but many times i was almost hit by a car..just not paying attention to motorcycles and they just cut me off.

sorry i cant be mroe helpfull..just thought i would try.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:44 PM

so...i got my bike today...took it to a parking lot and rode it for the first time. never got out of first gear...baby steps!! but i did real well...my husbands proud. hehe. i stalled it about twice...newbie mistakes...(thanx for the thread fishfryer527!!!) i went around the parking lot a million times..took turns...(under 10mph) i havent done the counter steering yet...still weird about that...

can i get advice on the countersteering? i understand but...not fully.

but i am veeeerrrrrrrrrry happy!! i believe i did very good today. im so excited to ride again!!!!!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/23690/AB62344C827D41C28A330E997F20A728.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-03-2008, 07:27 PM

It's easy. In fact, it's not even something you have to think about. Once you and your bike are travelling fast enough, the gyroscopic effect takes over and the physics of 'countersteering' are in play--no special technique or thought required. It will feel totally natural and kinda cool...

Basically, once you get up to speed, try pushing lightly on the left handlebar. You'll see the bike start to turn in that direction. Same with the right side. It's not so much a technique as it is just a simple effect of motion. I promise you'll get used to it without even thinking about it...

Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 PM

Hi there , if you did turns then you did countersteering , every 2 wheeled vechicle counter steers , here are some clips to show you , countersteering happens even at very low speeds even with a bicycle , here's the link=>http://youtube.com/watch?v=C848R9xWrjc, and like SpiritRR said , it will come naturaly , you won't even notice sometimes.

cheers

Old 02-04-2008, 02:07 PM

I just bought my first biketoo. But I waited til after I took the MSF course. The beauty of the MSF course is that you get to practice on their bikes. :P (In my class there were 2drops.)

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Banned

Countersteering..when you ride above maybe 15 MPH (it is easier the faster you go), you can take your outside hand off in a turn and just push with the inside. The faster you go, the harder the push, the tighter the turn the harder the push. I read somewhere that in the seventies, some racers would bend their bars from oushing so hard.

I think of the inside of the front tire takes a shortcut (turn), and that shortcut is due to the smaller diameter of the fronttire off its center line. Not sure if that is true, but that is my visualization.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:00 AM

its cool i had an anut die from a motorcycle ride, thing is i did know her but was very close to my mom.

im also thinkin about buying an 07 cbr 600rr, as a frist bike im only 16 but dont get me wrong i have been riding with cuzins for about an year now. i only top at 120

so should i get one or get a smaller bike

im 16
110lbs
5'6

Quick Reply: brand new to motorcycle riding