New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Brand new with big bike. Looking to learn anything & everything.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new with big bike. Looking to learn anything & everything.

Hi everyone,
My name is Justin, and I am 26. I have a 2011 cbr1000RR that I bought new about 2 weeks ago. While I have riden a few times, this is my first bike. I know, I know,... thats a lot of bike for a new rider. Im sure I will get a little flaming for it and probably deserve it. I will say in my defense that after two weeks of riding, I still haven't gone more than 40mph and haven't had it over 4k rpms in any gear. I've wanted a bike for years so I am in no hurry to kill myself or someone else. I do have a background with fast cars, and while that doesn't transfer to bikes, I do have a respect for speed and horsepower. You won't catch me on one wheel or doing 150 down a busy freeway lol.

Anyways, Im glad to be part of this forum and I am hooked on riding.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to CBRF Justin!

Highly recommend that you get yourself to a good basic rider's course like the MSF Course...Motorcycle Safety Foundation. It will teach you good basic riding skills & safety techniques that you can build upon to be a good responsible rider.

You really need to *Ride Your Own Ride* til you get some experience under your belt. To this, do NOT try to keep up w/a pack of riders & especially experienced riders. You need to ride within your limits. <---Can't stress this enough.

Its good that you recognize that a 1000cc bike for a first bike, especially a sport bike, is not a good idea. There is a reason that you recognize that & that you may get a little grief from the more experienced here regarding that. Its not b/c you aren't worthy or capable but b/c statistics have proven time & time again, that new riders that start on large cc bikes, tend to get themselves into trouble fairly quickly. Maturity will play a major part to you starting on a liter bike.

Good to have you w/ us. Be safe out there!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum Justin.

That's a ton of bike for a new rider, as you know. In fact, It's too much. You will not learn how to ride it,only how to ride on it. Have you considered getting an older, cheap,smaller bike and learn to really ride for 6 months before taking out the 1krr? Once you learn how to really ride, you will be glad you did. You would then be getting more out of the 1krr.

But either way, you have a great bike, can't wait to see it!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome Justin, wow...takes ***** to get on a 1k for a first time, first bike.....take small steps. +1 GotCbr...MSF course....

Old 06-06-2012, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys. I should have mentioned that I am signed up for a safety course. I also agree 100% that it is a lot if not too much bike. But believe me, I have more will power than that bike has horsepower and I simply will not push to ride beyond my ability. The embarrassment that would come with putting that bike down alone is enough to keep me off the throttle. Nevertheless, I take the words of you experienced riders to heart and if I could afford another trainer bike at the moment I would but it's not in the budget. I'm just going to have to take it super slow and gradually build my skills ( with advice from all of you of course)

I'll post a couple pics tomorrow.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:09 AM

Welcome to the forum jshuman!
and congrats on that new bike! very nice one.
Gotta get some pics up here!
And you'll learn all the basics and need to know in the safety course.
My first bike is the older 95 1000f.
You sound like you're level headed, just don't get cocky cause
these bikes aren't the ones to play with.
The power is there when you need it and good gas mileage too.
Go watch "A Twist of the wrist" you can find it on youtube.
be careful!!
And everything that you learn in the MSF do it on your bike and
relearn it to your bike.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:03 AM

Hello there Justin, greetings from a little Island in the Med.

Your situation sounds pretty familiar - last week I was having a drink with some friends and they introduced me to their son.
Actually they did it in a pretty cool way - there was a Ryanair jet flying overhead coming in to land - their son, aged 26, is the pilot they said.
Sure enough, about 2 hours later in comes David.

He's a bike fan, loves speed - has a S2000 and is looking for a bike.
Being one of these alpha males (but a really nice bloke) he wants to get a bike similar to yours - bloody powerful, he's a bit impatient for the independance and sense of uncluttered freedom that a bike offers, and I think he only sees a top end performer as the next worthy interesting challenge.

I kinda went a bit white when he said that he wants to get a Yamaha YZF-R1....
I started out on a Honda CBR750F - and took it slowly, had 2 offs and was lucky. A powerful bike concentrates the mind much more so than a, say, 50bhp 400/600, but it will also mean that the margin for rider error is so much finer. There are so many little situations that can crop up that can end badly.

I noticed that Davids folks were worried about his choice, and suggested to him, in private, that he might consider the smaller bikes first to put their minds at ease. It's a thing to consider .

My only advice Justin would be to respect your bike almost to the point of having a little fear for it. It will bite if you make a little mistake.
Think of it as a Rottweiler that you just adopted from the shelter - and take it really easy as you get to master it.

Other than that welcome!

edit to add: the one situation that caught me out badly was taking a 90 degree turn to the left, I didn't know the road and a series of small ripples in the road surface was just enough to to have me twisting the throttle -unintentionally- enough for the rear to let go and off I came.
that's going to be the thing you might need to watch - you've got so much power with just a little twist of your throttle that any unforseen bump might have you with a sharp acceleration..... of course on a 400/600 street bike you would have less to worry about (R6'S etc aside...)

Last edited by BaronIsle; 06-07-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Default here she is

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  105.3 KB

Old 06-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Thats a nice bike Justin.

(You're gonna catch some hell for not wearing some gear, especially since you're new to riding...)

Old 06-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very very nice looking bike! Does it still have that new-bike smell? :-)

Quick Reply: Brand new with big bike. Looking to learn anything & everything.