New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Which Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Bike?

Hey what’s up everyone, my name is Dan. I Would like to take a second to introduce myself.

I'm from Bucks County, Pennsylvania. I'm a Mustang enthusiast and also love motorcycles. What's really selling me on the bike is the high gas prices even though the dangers of riding are high I think I’m ready to take the step...

I've driven a 2005 Honda CBR 600RR and fell in love with the Honda product, A good friend of mine will sell me his 1994 600 for $1,600-1,800 it has been very well taken care of, it has a D&D pipe on it. Like I said very well taken care of, only 14,500 miles on it. The other option is a bike that I do not know the history on it’s a 1999 Honda CBR 600 which is listed for $3,800 this bike as 13,000 miles on it, but I don’t know the history of the bike. I like the newer style but this is also going to be my very first bike. I’d like your guidance on which bike to choose. I love the way the 99 looks but the price is right on the 94. Thanks for your time.

Hope to be cruising with some of you soon, anyone from Phila, Bucks, Montgomery area?

-Dan-

Old 04-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which Bike?

Being its your very first bike, I say get a 250 but most guys wont because of thier huge egos. So take the MSF, buy the 94, learn n bang it up (its gonna happen) for a year two. Then look for what you really want. I still recommend the 250R, ex500, or a sv650 tho as a first bike.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:49 AM

my first street bike was a new 94 600f2, and to this day i still love the bike it was the most
comfortable bike i have ever ridden. it was also rock solid reliable, i owned it for 2 1/2 years
26k miles the only thing i had done was oil changes. if you have the oppertunity to buy a well
taken care of 94, do it it in my opinion is a real great starter bike. it is very comfortable
and handles great, from my own experiance very reliable. BUY IT ,you won't regret it...

Old 04-29-2008, 01:25 PM

If you can buy a known bike from a good friend, you should do it. If anything goes wrong or you have questions about the bike, you'll be able to go back to him.

And you said it yourself, this is just your first bike. It's not your last bike. You could ride it for a couple of years, and as long as you don't beat it up too much, you couldsell it for what you paid, and then move on to your dream bike.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Banned

I'm not sure about the prices, but the newer bike will be much faster than the older bike, I believe it has 95 HP and an aluminum frame making it quite fast. The older one has less power and more weight, but still very quick (quick enough tobe very entertaining for a long time).

Learning on the newer bike will be somewhat more risky, so if you are a complete noob, I would say get theolder 600. If you aren'tthen get the newer one.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:45 PM

I was considering the brand new 250 from Kawasakialso, but i'm afraid it's just not going to have the get up and go needed to pass on the highway? can any of you elaborate on that?

Also what kind of mileage have you guys got with the F2's?

The 250R says upwards of 55 mpg you guys anywhere near that? I'm not a speed demon I can't picture myself ever going past 120mph on the bike...

Thanks for your advice guys, I really appreciate the input!

Oh an I am a major noob I've only been out riding maybe 2-3 times...

Old 04-29-2008, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: 89lx5o

I was considering the brand new 250 from Kawasakialso, but i'm afraid it's just not going to have the get up and go needed to pass on the highway? can any of you elaborate on that?

Also what kind of mileage have you guys got with the F2's?

The 250R says upwards of 55 mpg you guys anywhere near that? I'm not a speed demon I can't picture myself ever going past 120mph on the bike...

Thanks for your advice guys, I really appreciate the input!
Well being 'new' you should worry more on learning to ride than with speed anyhow, but I hear the new 250R is quite capable for a small bike.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:58 PM

I have a 97 F3 with 34,000 miles on it. For pure highway riding, I'll get better than 55 mpg. Shorter trips with lots of stopping and starting and sitting in traffic will be down near 45. So on a tankful of mixed riding I'll be right around 50 mpg. Riding fast doesn't seem to hurt mileage that much, but launching from every stop sign and traffic light will really hurt your fuel economy.

Edited to say that if you've only been on a bike 2 or 3 trimes, you should immediately sign up for the MSF basic rider course, even before you buy a bike.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:52 AM

I def plan on taking a rider course, Pennsylvania offers a free course where they even provide the motorocycle and you get your license at the end of the course...

ORIGINAL: Munson

I have a 97 F3 with 34,000 miles on it. For pure highway riding, I'll get better than 55 mpg. Shorter trips with lots of stopping and starting and sitting in traffic will be down near 45. So on a tankful of mixed riding I'll be right around 50 mpg. Riding fast doesn't seem to hurt mileage that much, but launching from every stop sign and traffic light will really hurt your fuel economy.

Edited to say that if you've only been on a bike 2 or 3 trimes, you should immediately sign up for the MSF basic rider course, even before you buy a bike.