New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Beginning Rider - Bike Info

Old 03-16-2005, 04:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginning Rider - Bike Info

Well been thinking about getting a Street Bike the past few days... But I have a few questions..

I have my mind set on something small like a Honda CBR600 ( dosent weight much ) or something similar.. I havent rode in awhile ( I learned how to ride when I was around 14 - 15 out of town ).. since then ( im 18 ) I havent rode.. im not really worried about learning how to again since my step-dad has had bikes off and on that I have messed around on.

Would getting the CBR600 be ok for a 'beginner' so to speak that atleast has some knowledge? I dont want a bike to go super fast or do crazy ***'d im going to kill myself tricks, but I dont want a piece of ****. Just something to cruise around town that looks nice.. Considering this is a pretty small town, im not to worried about hazards although I have always been smart about my driving.

I checked a honda store around my town and they have a 04 CBR600 for 8,000... But wasnt sure if theres a site or something where I could search for a bike around my town..

Trying to decide between the F4i's or the RR's.. I dont want a large bike, im 6'4 185lbs but I dont want a monster bike to worry about either. I tried
searching the classifieds in my city but they dont have any CBR's matter a fact barely any sports bikes at all..

Considering I am engaged, me and my fiance are juggling one car for jobs, and honestly turning to the point a bike would be the cheapest alternative. Yea its only for nice weather, but still its alot better then juggling a car around different schedules.. And yes my fiance agrees that getting a bike would be fun. :P

EDIT: I was searching around and went to the Kawaski website and saw the Ninja 500R which was a very reasonable price at 4,000 for a new 599cc bike.
I was curious on what people though of this bike also, looks small... I also read a few topics on some other forums mentioning this bike was
a good bike to start on.. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Beginning Rider - Bike Info

The Kawasaki 5 isn't a normal bike most guys start off with. If you have some riding experience like you say you have, go with a 600. Kawasaki ZX6/636, Suzuki GSX-R 600, HONDA CBR 600RR or Yamaha R6. You'll be pleased with one of these and your fiance will be too.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:57 PM

Oh jeez :P. I have posted on alot of different forums and all have given different responses..

I really like the CBR600 and pretty confident I could ride on, im not getting the bike for tricks or any sucidical missions, just daily to work or joy riding.

I havent found any used ones around me, closet is around 200miles or so out of state.. I did however find a dealership thats near me that offers some kawaski 5s
for around 3,000 and some cbr models for 7000.

Do the dealerships sell older year models? Something like 99 or 00?

I searched their site and all they had to pick from was 2004-2005 FROM THEIR SITE, I havent been to the store but was just curious.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:30 PM

most dealerships will sell used bikes... Other than that, I dont know what to tell you. Just about any "sportbike" you choose will have enough power to cruise around town, or light up the town, whichever you prefer. Hondas are generally low maintenence/running costs. Sometimes this has a tendancy to show in the prices, but in the cutthroat 600 class... the RR is one of the more expensive... "brand new". f4i, f2,f3, f4.... all cbr models that I think would suit your purpose just fine. The RR isn't so much a "cruising" sport bike, if there is such a thing. But the seat, compared to others, is rather hard, and the riding position fairly aggressive. Once you get used to it, its really no sweat, but for YOUR purposes, id go with one of the "not so racey" sport bikes.

take it easy, good luck in your search,

Chris

P.S. Im not saying you MUST GET A HONDA either. the 600 class is pretty close and very comparable. also... you may want to look into buell. (ewww, i know i said buell) but for your purposes I think it would be just fine. they are kinda what we call a "budget" motorcycle, but they still have an engine, and still have 2 wheels, forcing us all to accept it as a motorcycle

Old 03-17-2005, 12:24 AM

i would recomend my type of bike which is a f4 its not that badest but can hold its own. and from what i read it sounds like u want something a little comfortable and i know f4's(99-00) were the best cross of comfort and sport riding. (there light as a feather) they have one seat and they also made two differnt f4i's (2000-04) one with two seats and the other with one . i would go for the single seat if u want a newer bike. either way i would say try to buy a newer 96 and up you'll probly grow out of it and want the looks of a newer bike check ebay . and like map jr said go with a 600

later rob

Old 03-23-2005, 10:30 AM

Gundy,

This is copied and pasted from another thread.

First, I think a motorcycle safety school would be a good place to start.

I'm going to be a bit of a downer and say that I don't think you should learn on a 600Supersport. You will be doing yourself a favour if you start on something smaller with less power. I realize this is a Honda forum, but I think a Ninja 250 or EX500 would be a better bike. You will be a better rider because of it and you can get them at decent prices. You can likely find one, ride it for a couple of years and sell it for near what you paid. The SV650 is also another nice bike to learn on.

Your insurance will be a lot cheaper on one of the bikes I mentioned as well.

(There is a section on the CycleWorld forums that is dedicated to "What type of bike should I get?". You may want to go read the posts there too. But come back here when you are done! )

Just my two cents on the situation.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:40 AM

WHEN ME AND MY FRIEND GOT A BIKE FOR THE FIRST TIME I GOT A 600 AND HE GOT A 250. IM MORE INTO MOTORCYCLES THEN HIM. AND RODE DIRT BIKES, FOUR WHEELERS AND MOPEDS ALL WHILE I WAS YOUNG . SO I KNEW A LITTLE, BUT LONG STORY SHORT HE LAID HE'S DOWN COMING ROUND A BLIND CURVE, (UNDERSTANDABLE) BUT I LET HIM RIDE MY 600 BEFORE AND ONE NIGHT WHEN HE WAS AGAIN HE TRIED EASYING UP ON WHEELIES AND GASSING IT UP FAST IN A PARKING LOT. SOMEWHERE HE MESSED UP AND WENT DOWN. BUT **** HAPPENS, WHEN I GOT ON MINE FOR THE FIRST TIME IT MADE ME SHIVER A LITTLE FROM HOW FAST IT COULD GET GOING. BUT U GET OVER THAT QUICK AND WANT MORE. ALL AND ALL I THINK U CAN HANDLE A 600 JUST RESPECT IT, AND EVEN BETTER IF U TAKE A CLASS OR TWO IF U DONT HAVE MUCH PREVIOUS 2 WHEEL EXP.

AND ALSO GET THE GEAR. ITS A MUST!

ROB

Old 04-15-2005, 05:46 AM

yeah, im pretty sure you can start on a 600. my first and current bike is a yamaha 600r (im here cuz im lookin at getting the 1000rr, its soooo purdy!) but anyway, yeah, a 6 is a good pick, the f4i is a little bit less mean than the rr, but i think itll do you well. plus, its stil pretty, so youre not running around on a les-than-desirable bike like the katana

Old 04-18-2005, 10:40 PM

Welcome to da site! Take da MSF course and start of in the 600 realm. I'll push HONDA cuz everyone else is ridin a lame a$$ gxr, kawis get no play cuz there all dumb lookin in green, and yammis... well... uhhhhh GO HONDA! start small and then you can ride wid da big boys L8r.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:04 PM

Howdy , welcome to the forums

Better late than never