New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

back from the dead..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back from the dead..

well, i'm FINALLY going to get off my butt and re-build my seriously wrecked '00 929. it's been sitting in the garage since my friend wrecked it a few years ago, and I can't stand it anymore. would appreciate any and all advice. It needs a frame and everything in front of the motor basically. engine and tranny should be ok. thinking streetfighter but maybe full restoration. I absolutely LOVED this bike and am very stoked to get rolling on this project. so i'd be grateful for any help. hope to be ridin' again soon. i'll put up pics pretty soon. thanks!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Default RE: back from the dead..

I've used ebay for an equally serious restoration--it works great if you keep your eyes open and exercise a little caution and a lot of patience...

How do you know the frame is bad?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 PM

yeah I've seen a lot of what I need there. the frame is cracked where the motor mounts on one side, and the head tube is cracked bigtime. figured it's probably cheaper and easier to go with a new frame, since i don't weld. my hope is the motor and trans are ok. the front bore the brunt of the damage, so i feel the drivetrain can be salvaged. are you going full restoration or streetfighter? thanks for the input!

Old 01-17-2008, 10:46 PM

I went full OEM restoration. My favorite words of all time on ebay: NOS

aww crap, not nitrous oxide [:'(] NEW OLD STOCK ...which means brand new at used prices

Old 01-17-2008, 11:13 PM

heh. i feel ya. as i said i've been contemplating fightering it but it would be cool to see it back to it's original glory. are you still riding yours? Does it work the same as before?

Old 01-18-2008, 12:29 AM

My bike is a 900RR, seven years older than yours and it's now perfect...you shouldn't have too much trouble...

...see, look how good it can be...you know you want it...

Or, you can go for new, custom bodywork after you get all the hardware.

--don't hold me to that seller--I've never used them and can't vouch for their products...[] I just know there's LOTS of different places that sell all kinds of fairings...

Old 01-18-2008, 08:50 PM

ooooohh! aaahhhh!..(imagine a moth inexplicably drawn to the dazzling light of the bug-zapper) oh yeah. I want it. got to have it. it will be mine. i talked to a guy who said that even though the bike's been sitting for a few years that the motor probably could be started with fresh gas, oil and a precursory visual check beforehand. does this sound correct? it has never had the plugs out or the airbox or tank removed since the crash and mostly been kept inside. probably too good to be true

Old 01-19-2008, 01:57 PM

No...it's true. Mine went eleven years without starting...I got new plugs, oil, oil filter, drained and filled the radiator, new battery, new gas, and a bunch of soothing words whispered in her ear...guess what, it worked. The biggest issue will be if you've had gas in the system all this time--you may have a lot of gunk to remove and some rubber seals to change, but not much more than that...check for rust in the tank and clean the **** out of everything--she'll be happy and you'll be ecstatic...

Old 01-24-2008, 04:31 PM

man that would be SUH-WEEEET. This is gonna CHANGE MY LIFE. I'm gonna jump higher, run faster, and sing better. Hot damn! Thanks for the inspiration Brocephus!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:49 AM

Well.. Joe dirt once said...
"Does this look like a piece of crap to you? Like them spinnin' tires do you?"
Words of wisdom from Joe...give it time man and you will be up and running again..Good luck with you project you can do it.

Quick Reply: back from the dead..