New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Any tips for buying online?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips for buying online?

Hello all. Might as well reintro myself as a semi-newb again.

My last ride was Thursday before Good Friday, 2009. A guy in a small truck jumped the light as I was approaching the interesection. I probably slammed on brakes a little too hard and started sliding. I felt I had no option other than to let go of the bike and hope I didn't skid into the side the guys truck. Fortunately, I landed well and my Icon jacket absorbed all the asphalt. Scarred the bike enough to total it. All I walked away with was an abrasion on my left knee. (Mental note: buy knee pads!)

After just under 4 years, I'm ready to get back on 2 wheels. I think I've found the bike I want, but it's out in IL and I live in VA. What tips can you offer with regard to buying a bike online? It looks to be in good shape. Seller says was dropped while parked in a parking lot. Pictures don't show anything for me to be concerned about.

Should I drive all the way out to IL next weekend and see/feel the bike before I commit to the purchase? Should I have seller send me a video of the bike or something? Does eBay help with this kind of thing if bike turns out not to be as good as advertised?

Thanks for your help. I really look forward again to seeing the stars with no cage wrapped around me, smelling the pines as I speed past them, and feeling the chills of the hollows in the spring/fall rides.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice post!

I've bought quite a few bikes online and interstate and only once have I had a slight problem with the deal.

I get the owner to send me extra photos of details I have requested, then 'phone them and have a discussion about the bike. You get a feeling about the owner and the bike from that discussion. If I think it is too expensive (most other people will as well ), and let the auction end (if eBay), you then have a point of contact to ring the owner back up and haggle. If on something like CraigList, it is open to offers anyway.

A number of my bikes were purchased sight unseen and I flew to the city and rode them home - sometimes well over 2000 km.

Best of luck with the potential purchase and welcome back to the CBR Forum.

When you read a sentence like the last one in your post above, you know "he gets it" A true motorcyclist

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 01-19-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:26 PM

Ive always been told that you should be looking for a trustworthy seller... the phonecall above sounds like a good idea, also ask for service history etc and do the states have HPI checks? I wouldnt commit to buy without seeing it in the flesh first... to me buying online seems like you have to be reasonably lucky!

Ive just bought my first bike... the ebay listing had a reserve price out of my budget and it didnt sell, emailed him staright away and he said he will knock 400 off for me from the listing I could see that it was a good bike but I went to view it all the same! if its as good as you think go and view it and complete the sale then! If you buy online do you still have to go and collect or will it be delivered?

Old 01-19-2013, 09:00 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I purchase my bike on eBay from Ohio and ship it to Californa....

Why did I go this route...

1. I can pay with a credit card.
2. None (900rrr) available in my area. And if I travel long distance, might as well ship it because gas & time will even that amount.

Down side: you'll be paying shipping & no test drive.

Upside: if seller has credential, with 100% feedback, clean title. And remember its Paypal protected.

Say you receive the bike & it is not as describe, you can file a claim...though likely you won't be returning the bike for refund, seller can work something out with you. Say if tires are old, but listed as if tire are like new, seller should credit you for new tires.

But my only advise when buying online, BUY STOCK & never laid down.....don't buy fixer upper

Old 01-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Use online listings as listings, same as you would in the paper or other mag. Your putting a lot of faith in the good of another person (that you don't know) with a large purchase. Go see the bike in person, but get as much info about it first to make sure it's worth the journey.

Perhaps you know someone in the area, or maybe another member, could act as your eyes before you commit to buying it blind. I would do that for someone out of my area that needs a hand, offer open.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 74demon
Use online listings as listings, same as you would in the paper or other mag. Your putting a lot of faith in the good of another person (that you don't know) with a large purchase. Go see the bike in person, but get as much info about it first to make sure it's worth the journey.

Perhaps you know someone in the area, or maybe another member, could act as your eyes before you commit to buying it blind. I would do that for someone out of my area that needs a hand, offer open.

Yes, great idea Demon. I have done that for Naga_Thai and he has checked out bikes for me as well. When we check them out, we take a list of things that I have been asked to look at, photograph them in detail and email the pics.

Cheers, SB

Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon

EXCELLENT IDEA! I will work on seeing if somebody is on the forums in that area.

Talked to my dad this evening. He's taking next week off so he and I can drive out to IL and get the bike. While I'm more open to having it shipped now, a long distance trip with my dad is in order. :-)

Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Nice post!

I've bought quite a few bikes online and interstate and only once have I had a slight problem with the deal.

I get the owner to send me extra photos of details I have requested, then 'phone them and have a discussion about the bike. You get a feeling about the owner and the bike from that discussion. If I think it is too expensive (most other people will as well ), and let the auction end (if eBay), you then have a point of contact to ring the owner back up and haggle. If on something like CraigList, it is open to offers anyway.

A number of my bikes were purchased sight unseen and I flew to the city and rode them home - sometimes well over 2000 km.

Best of luck with the potential purchase and welcome back to the CBR Forum.

When you read a sentence like the last one in your post above, you know "he gets it" A true motorcyclist

Cheers, SB
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'm headed down that path. If the weather shapes up, I might be making an 800 mi drive back to VA after purchasing the bike in IL. I have a week to get everything settled, including finding some good winter gear. If I can't stand the weather, I'll just ride in the truck with my dad while we tow the bike. :-D

Old 01-20-2013, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Nice post!

And yes, I do "get it"! I was born to ride mate. Ha ha!

Old 01-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Osolage
And yes, I do "get it"! I was born to ride mate. Ha ha!

Good on you!

Hope the purchase works out well for you. And have a good trip with your Dad!

Cheers, SB

Quick Reply: Any tips for buying online?