New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Another New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Another New Guy

Good morning, just checking in to intro myself. I just bought (purely an impulse buy) a 93 600 f2 with about 12k on the speedo. The fairings were in pretty bad shape, so I stripped it down and have been buying replacements on ebay. The front cowls are also need replacement. The engine runs, it has a little noise, like marbles rolling around when cold but once it warms sounds okay. I haven't run it on the street for any length of time due to the Chicago weather. It has an older Two Brothers exhaust muffler system that was not secured well so I fabed up a bracket out of stainless that matches okay. I went to start it the other day, I think I flooded it, it backfired a bunch of times....pretty loud, like a gun, than the battery went too low to turn it over. Did I foul out the plugs? I plan to charge the battery today and try it again. I have no maintenance records, no real history on the bike. What should I do to get this bike in (dependable) riding condition? Thanks to all.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:23 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Change all liquids, plugs, check brake pad F/R, check tires and chain cond+ slack. You may need carb cleaning...hope you solve the misfire, is not maybe a timing issue...since you have time...take it slow& a service manual will come in handy. You maybe able to obtain a free download from members here, I've seen on some thread.

Other members will jump in to advice their comment....

Old 02-18-2012, 08:27 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 focus on getting the bike mechanically sound before dumping money into cosmetic...what's a good looking bike it's not reliable. It's been over 10 years ago since I've sold my F2....love these bikes, they are very reliable but must be properly maintain...good luck and hope you find our forum pleasant & helpful

Old 02-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there and welcome to cbrf! This is prett great place with a lot of knowledge and members that actually enjoy helping each other out. Definitely feel free to post pictures and symptoms on the f2 section but before you do.. This thread might help you just a little..
F series Common starting issues

Old 02-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good advice given already. Hang in there...once you get it running well, you'll love it. Just spend that quality tlc time w/ it & get it running well.

Welcome aboard.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:39 PM

Welcome to the forum! I too have a 93 f2! They are a blast once you get them running right! Can't wait to see some pics of this machine!

Old 02-19-2012, 07:40 PM

Thanks guys......looking forward to riding again. I didn't have time to charge up the battery this weekend so I was unable to start it. I'll be gone all week so it will have til next weekend. Thanks again.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:42 AM

Tort93f2

Good morning, just checking in to intro myself. I just bought (purely an impulse buy) a 93 600 f2 with about 12k on the speedo. The fairings were in pretty bad shape, so I stripped it down and have been buying replacements on ebay. The front cowls are also need replacement. The engine runs, it has a little noise, like marbles rolling around when cold but once it warms sounds okay. I haven't run it on the street for any length of time due to the Chicago weather. It has an older Two Brothers exhaust muffler system that was not secured well so I fabed up a bracket out of stainless that matches okay. I went to start it the other day, I think I flooded it, it backfired a bunch of times....pretty loud, like a gun, than the battery went too low to turn it over. Did I foul out the plugs? I plan to charge the battery today and try it again. I have no maintenance records, no real history on the bike. What should I do to get this bike in (dependable) riding condition? Thanks to all.
I noticed you mention that your motor has engine noise like marbles bouncing around. Well it's a pretty common noise actually on these older bikes especially. Here's how you go about fixing it, It's called a CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) and when the motor is cold it will make a hell of a lot of noise but when she warms up nothing. I recommend a manual adjusting APE CCT off of ebay. They are generally not that expensive and its fairly to replace. It's on the right side of the motor held in by two bolts. Also try to get a service manual like estate4life said. Needless to say that should take care of your engine noise. Let me know if that helps ya.

I have included a website to Ape directly for the cct.
Also welcome to the forum.

CBR ZONE

Old 02-22-2012, 04:59 PM

PF2, thanks for the advise and the website for the tool. It sounds like an easy fix/adjustment. I'll tell ya I've never been shy bout ripping in to a big V8, but I have to admit, I'm a little leary about getting in to a bikes engine. I do have a manual so that should help. Thanks again.