New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

another FNG from TX

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 06:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another FNG from TX

Hello my name is Clay and I am a new CBR owner. Just picked up a 2005 F4i with 4700 or so miles on it in pristine condition. I am a beginner who has limited street riding experience, with some dirt and scooter experience and an avid mountain bike racer. I also track cars about twice a month or more. My goal is to learn how to ride the bike more on the track and not so much on the street - I live in a very urban area and don't want to end up as a statistic. Looking forward to slowly learning as much as possible and becoming a safe and skilled rider

Old 05-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome, Clay!
Tracks are fun, but probably not the best place to learn how to ride. have you taken the MSF course? They will teach you all the safe stuff.
Ride safe, and try to get out of town...

Old 05-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the asylum
Enjoy what we have to offer and make yourself at home.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 AM

I'm definitely taking the MSF course. Believe me I have stored the bike away until I have completed the course and have collected a full set of riding gear. Don't want to take any risks and I am 40+ years old wanting to get experience in the safest way possible. Any suggestions are very welcome!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

Best suggestion is : remember that everyone on four wheels wants to hurt you, and keep your eyes peeled.
Enjoy !

Old 05-20-2012, 10:58 AM

Welcome aboard Clay! Congrats on getting your F4i.

Sounds like you have the right attitude toward become a safe & responsible street rider. +1 to the MSF Course. You'll learn basic riding techniques & safety. Build upon those to hone your skills & comfort level. Always *ride your own ride*...i.e., ride w/in your comfort level & don't take unnecessary chances or feel intimidated to do something you're not comfortable w/.

Excellent that you are gear-minded. Unfortunately, so many new riders don't heed the recommendation & pay for it w/ injury. Get comfortable in your gear. You don't want to be thinking about your gear while you're riding. You'll have enough to worry about around you. ;-)

Read as much as you can about riding technique & rider safety. You don't have to buy all the books. A few good evenings at Barnes & Noble reading from the motorcycle section can help a lot. You'll see Keith Code, among others, mentioned here. Keith Code's books are typically on B&N's shelves. There are many online sources, such as SportRider articles, avail as well.

Good to have you w/ us.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:43 PM

thanks gotcbr. BTW I'm clayp from ARFcom as well