New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Advice for newbie CBR Sports Bike Riders

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 10:08 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
I think that most any bike that is in the 130 to 150 hp range is going to be fuel injected. And with that comes electronics. That's just the way it is.
When i said without electronic , i might not have expressed myself correctly , i meant without electronic to correct the mistakes of the rider or the things that can happen , like the electronic you can find on the post 2010 sportsbike ( especialy nowdays 1000cc sportsbike, like YZF R1M , CBR1000 RR /SP , Panigale V4S , ZX10-R ...etc ) , like anti wheelie system , sliding control system, Traction control system , ABS ...etc
But yes, you are right injection is controlled by an electronic system !
Some sportsbike that have very little electronic is the 2008 GSX-R 750 , apart from the injection system, there is none i believe !

Also, you can find some modified motorbikes with no electronic at all , that have up to 160 hp and sometimes even more, like some ZRX1200 Kawasaki !
Check on the ZRXOA forum, you will see many modified / upgraded ZRX1200 with up to 160 hp ( many in the 130 to 160 hp range ) , with Dynojet carburators stage 3:kits ( and often some other modifications , like overhead camshafts and other things ) or FCR39 / FCR41 carbs .

Last edited by Highway to Hell; 09-05-2021 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for that reply H to Hell - yes I think that as I'm not interested in doing track days, the cbr650 is perfect for commuting, Sunday club ride outs and short holidays to France or Ireland for me. Even the riding position on the wee cbr could be uncomfortable after 100 miles - mainly on the neck area. The seat is deceptively comfy and I get no vibration through the grips or pegs - however if i'm on the motorway, i hold the grip so tight that the blood stops flowing and I have to stop to let my throttle hand recover.
Fuel consumption is something to be wary of even on the 650 - i figure I can get 150 miles max which is - ok ish - and especially in the current shortage in the Uk i'm not using the bike at all till things recover. I find that the bike really does everything you need, all i need is to see my speed and which gear i'm in - most important is to keep my eyes on the road without being distracted by screens or gadgets, although I do have heated grips which will come in very handy next Feb or March.

What would be interesting would be if the current 650 came with an Alu frame and single sided swing arm - that would reduce the weight right down! However, for me the 650 is manageable - i once tried riding it up a mountain bike trial!! got part of the way up realising this is not for a sports bike!! I then had to try to do a 3 point turn on a very very steep slope and had to be careful not to let my bike roll backwards into the forest!! My heart was in my mouth and if i had slipped on mud or stones it would have been game over in the middle of a forest!! Fortunately I was spared disaster and vowed never to try to take a sports bike up a back trail designed for mountain bikes or trail bikes!! Lesson Learned. However the bike was light enough for me to avoid disaster.

As winter approaches i think i've got a few weeks riding before the snow comes. It's been a great year to get back into biking - I feel i have my skills and confidence back and now riding the cbr (compared to 2 months ago) feels no more frightening than driving a car. You still have to watch out for those rabbits, pheasants and deer of course where I live but am glad I took the plunge and got back on two wheels

Old 09-27-2021, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by jinjaninja
Thanks for that reply H to Hell - yes I think that as I'm not interested in doing track days, the cbr650 is perfect for commuting, Sunday club ride outs and short holidays to France or Ireland for me. Even the riding position on the wee cbr could be uncomfortable after 100 miles - mainly on the neck area. The seat is deceptively comfy and I get no vibration through the grips or pegs - however if i'm on the motorway, i hold the grip so tight that the blood stops flowing and I have to stop to let my throttle hand recover.
Fuel consumption is something to be wary of even on the 650 - i figure I can get 150 miles max which is - ok ish - and especially in the current shortage in the Uk i'm not using the bike at all till things recover. I find that the bike really does everything you need, all i need is to see my speed and which gear i'm in - most important is to keep my eyes on the road without being distracted by screens or gadgets, although I do have heated grips which will come in very handy next Feb or March.

What would be interesting would be if the current 650 came with an Alu frame and single sided swing arm - that would reduce the weight right down! However, for me the 650 is manageable - i once tried riding it up a mountain bike trial!! got part of the way up realising this is not for a sports bike!! I then had to try to do a 3 point turn on a very very steep slope and had to be careful not to let my bike roll backwards into the forest!! My heart was in my mouth and if i had slipped on mud or stones it would have been game over in the middle of a forest!! Fortunately I was spared disaster and vowed never to try to take a sports bike up a back trail designed for mountain bikes or trail bikes!! Lesson Learned. However the bike was light enough for me to avoid disaster.

As winter approaches i think i've got a few weeks riding before the snow comes. It's been a great year to get back into biking - I feel i have my skills and confidence back and now riding the cbr (compared to 2 months ago) feels no more frightening than driving a car. You still have to watch out for those rabbits, pheasants and deer of course where I live but am glad I took the plunge and got back on two wheels
I. am Happy for you that you feel happy and pleased with your bike , that's really important to be confident enough riding it ,l to improve its riding skills and to enjoy the ride the most !
It is indeed a very nice bike !
You should upload more pictures if it from a bit closer , that we see it better ( less the countryside behind it and more the bike in fireground; from the left, the right , front and back , so we can admire your new girlfriend ! Lol
You choose a nice color , although the 2021 version in " Grand prix " Color scheme,like the 1000RR ( Red, Blue and a bit of white ) , is not bad as well and makes it looks closer tôher elder sister but the black is a sure value that will never go out of fashion as it's above fashion ; it's timeless and sober but with that hint of class and xool bad-*** attitude ! Lol

If i had not bought the 94-95' Urban Tiger color scheme for my 900RR , i would have bought the 97 model black one but they are very difficult to find in France as very few were sold here it seems or they have been transformed to street bike or destroyed ( unless it was made only in 1997 in that color and with that particular previous versions front fairing ) .
The 98 one looks nearly the same but has that different front fainring which gives a less racy line, more clumsy (some here in France, call the CBR 900 models of 1998 1999, "the big fat asses"! Lol

i Allowed me to realise a dream i had for years especialy since when I was a young adult , i had no money at that time to buy the latest beautiful sportsbike i was dreaming about , among which , this one !
I bought a 94' CBR 900 RR Urban tiger color scheme and i am surprised how in some ways it is still a very nice bike compared to some much more recent ones !
Obviously , some things are a bit of a technologiy of the past , like a wire for the clutch and niot an hydraulic one , or maybe as well that the suspensions and fork might not be as good as the latest high end liiter bikes ( although i have nothing to complain about them for'the moment and even if it is not an upside down fork , Honda had put its best technology in it at that time ! It already had preload, compression and rebound settings ) but stilll very manageable and i can still deciide to upgrade the mono rear suspension with an Ohlins or EMC or something good like that as i suppose sole of them must be making a model for this bike !

As i have been used riding some ZRX1200R fir the past 4 years , i realise i am disapointed by the little torque bikes under 900 cc 1000 cc have in the low end / rpm
, however the CBR being a 900 , has some low end torque , more compated to my 2008 GSX-R 750 K8 and i like that ( i was a bit spdisaoointed to do not have more low end torque with the GSX-R 750 cause i have so much with my ZRX1200Rs and enough with the 900 RR .
That bike ( 900 RR) only has 25000km (15500 miles ) on the odometer , what is very low for a 27 yo bike !
And she is in a Wonderful condition, nearly like new although this week i will take iit to the workshop for some maintenance, to be sure it is ready to ride many more km/ miles !
The Full exhaust system has been teplaced by a MIG ( a now extinct motorbikes exhaust French brand !) full exhaust system , which muffler has been shortened but i might replace it (although its look isn't bad and its sound is ok but could be better when roaring !
i bought an Akrapovic S-H9H2-HZC full exhaust system for her , with carbon hexagonal muffler but i also have an M-TC1 ( or maybe M-TCE2´thémuffler sold,with the Akrapovic full exhaust system sold for 2002-2003 CBR 900 RR ; see pictures / link bellow ) oval Akrapovic muffler ( i found second hand but like new, never used ) that was released with the same sort of headers but for older generations bikes before the hexagonal muffler replaced it .
It might look better with the CBR900 RR , hoping they fit together but they seem to be both 52mm diameter .
Maybe i'll cross your way if you cole riding to France , who knows ...
https://www.bikehps.com/954/CBR900RR_954_Akrapovic.pdf

Shés Foxy Lady , named after what's called their " Fox Eyes " headlight shapes ( and by my favorite musician , UK made a starBof him forever , when recording his two firsts LP's in London ( where he died unfortunately the 18th of September 1970 ) Olympic Studio if i remember well ( at least some of the tracks ) before returning to USA to play the Monterey Festival in 1967 ...
Everybody must know who i am talkin' about now ! Lol

PS: obviously , this bike won't be for riding on circuits , i 'll keep it for the road !
Tuis bike is too beautiful and rare ( especialy in that condition and sith so little km/ mileage !) forl that !
I will use the 2008 GSX-R 750:K8;for'riding on tracks , although it's a nice bike as well but i will look ror some fairings made for tracks to replace the original ones and not damage them if i crash !
And i even found a full set of original Suzuki K8 fairings + the gas tank for that bike , in the same blue and white colors , all in excellent condition , for not even the price of a third of the fairing set itself , cause a guy had replaced his farings and gas tank to go riding on tracks as well but lost the front wheel at 180 km/h ( 110 miles / h ) and crashed the bike after 2 years , so he sold all of the fairings , gaz tank and other parts he had left from the bike ,nas he had nothing to do with them anymore , the bike being totaly destroyed !

Last edited by Highway to Hell; 09-27-2021 at 09:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Highway to Hell:
Doc Samson (09-27-2021), jinjaninja (10-01-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

OK, @Highway to Hell I want to see some pictures of how she looked "after" your midnight ride back to Paris... LOL

Old 09-28-2021, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
OK, @Highway to Hell I want to see some pictures of how she looked "after" your midnight ride back to Paris... LOL
She took a few gnats in the face but other than that she is still the same! lol

The main problem i had , apart from freezing all night cause i had not forseen enough warm clothes, as i was not supposed to ride 400km during the night ( whereas the afternoon had been warm and shiny !) , was that the headlight / main beam switch was not staying ON whereas there was nearly no light at all on the highway , so i had to stay with my thumb on the switch all the time i wanted the main beam on and each time there was a car or a truck coming the other way , i had to remove my thumb from it to do not dazzle them !
But as i am not used riding sports bike , not their type of handle bars , each time i removed my thumb from the switch , especialy for'a while at the begining till i got used to it , It tended to throw me off balance and make the bike go to the left !

What was quite enjoyable was that even when reaching 240 km/ h ( 150 m/ h ) i was barely feeling the air pressure behind the windshield in that position, whereas on the ZRX1200 R , whatever posistion i take , i feel much air pressure past 140km/h ( 90m/h ) !

So , on saturday , i looked for a nice Honda dealer not far from my home , which had good reviews and went there to order a few parts and i will bring it to my Kawasaki dealer who works on my ZRX1200R for several years for he can check the 900 RR ( he had one or two , so he knows them well ) and do a fes things that need to be done on it .
Unfortunately that main beam switch is not available anymore from Honda for any year from 1992 to 1999 !
i could find the clutch wire but it seems the 2 throttle wires are not available anymore either !

Does anybody know where it is possible to find the throttle wires parts :17910-MW0-000 and 17920-MW0-000
as well as the main beam part that might be part : 35200-MAE-600 for 1994-1995 years of CBR900RR

35020-MAS-600 is the part number for year 1996 , cause for year 94-95 , i thought the part numbers for part 7 was not even given anymore on the schematics / drawings showing Honda CBR900RR parts numbers, , which is the module on the left handle of the handlebar, for the main beam / dipped beam switch ( and also the 3 positions switch for the lights , including off position ) , turn signals and i don't remember what's more on it .
But a Honda dealer told me it is part 9 without the screw part 27 and part 7 , including the screw part 27 but as i could not find any part 9 on the schematics / drawings , i was not seeing the difference !
I noticed many epsellers on ebay try to sell some peft modules with turn signals and a switch with only two positions for the lights , main beam and dipped beam , whereas on the true original 94-95 left handle module, there is a third position for setting the lights off .

So if anybody knows where i can buy the part number 35200-MAE-600 ( on top'of the two throttle wires) , new or in very good condition second hand , i would be really grateful !

Last edited by Highway to Hell; 09-29-2021 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:15 PM

Salut Highway to Hell!!

apologies i didn't realise you are a Frenchman! I am a huge fan of the history of Jeanne d'arc. For many years i've been going to les fetes moyen age en Picardie. I used to take the Ferry from Rosyth in Scotland to Zeebruge then ride down the motorway into Picardie. Your bike looks amazing! I remember well when that colour scheme came out, in fact, one of my scuba diving buddies has exactly the same model and colours.
The cbr 900 and 1000 - do these bikes have the same engine as the 660 but just bored out - or is the 900 / 1000 a completely different engine? I'm curious to know as the weight of the new 650 is more than the new1000 by a few kilos, and for sure the 900 must be 10 to 15 kilos lighter than mine.
Salut!

Old 10-03-2021, 10:11 AM

Salut Highway to Hell!!

apologies i didn't realise you are a Frenchman! I am a huge fan of the history of Jeanne d'arc. For many years i've been going to les fetes moyen age en Picardie. I used to take the Ferry from Rosyth in Scotland to Zeebruge then ride down the motorway into Picardie. Your bike looks amazing! I remember well when that colour scheme came out, in fact, one of my scuba diving buddies has exactly the same model and colours.
The cbr 900 and 1000 - do these bikes have the same engine as the 660 but just bored out - or is the 900 / 1000 a completely different engine? I'm curious to know as the weight of the new 650 is more than the new1000 by a few kilos, and for sure the 900 must be 10 to 15 kilos lighter than mine.
Salut!
I have never been to any " fetes du moyen age " but i have always been interested by history and architecture, especialy the ones of these eras with castles and cathedrals.
I have been in Scotland when i was a teenager , for a few weeks, in a family and it was very nice !
It made me think of britain in the west of France , i was in Edimbourg , which is a very nice city and we went to visit some medieval castles , it was very interesting .
For the engines , i don't know !
My 900:was supposed to weight 207 kg stock and with all liquids but sure got a bit lighter with an after market full exhaust .

Last edited by Highway to Hell; 10-09-2021 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:10 PM

Salut Highway to Hell!!

perhaps the better French should be 'Fetes des Moyen Age'? I was in Edimbourg yesterday - it's a ghost town now - quite bizarre but less people means more space to walk on the pavements! I wisely travelled there by bus as now the weather has turned cold and very windy!! Not sure how many more weeks I'll be able to ride. As soon as the salt is spread on the roads that'll be me finished for this year.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:58 AM

Salut Highway to Hell!!

perhaps the better French should be 'Fetes des Moyen Age'? I was in Edimbourg yesterday - it's a ghost town now - quite bizarre but less people means more space to walk on the pavements! I wisely travelled there by bus as now the weather has turned cold and very windy!! Not sure how many more weeks I'll be able to ride. As soon as the salt is spread on the roads that'll be me finished for this year.
Why " fetes des moyen age " ?
cause in France we speak about " le moyen age " ( the middle age ) , as a whole era going from the end of the 5th century to the end of the 15th century and not "Les Moyens ages " ( the middle ages ) .
I have not been to Edimbourg for the last 35 years but i went to London 2 years ago to buy a vintage Martin D28 acoustic guitar , it was nice but it's an expensive city for sure ( like Paris i suppose and even more expensive maybe !).
The streets with the guitars shops were not anymore what they Once were , like the guitar shops streets in Pigalle in Paris i guess which are not anymore in their golden age unfortunately !

What i do worry about the CBR 900 RR i just bought is that i see that many parts are not available anymore from Honda , anywhere in the world , although i suppose by asking on the forums, it must be possible to find some parts second hand in correct condition .
I hope i son't have any trouble with it any time soon but seeing its low mileage / km , i might be preserved from some problems encoutered with high mileage bikes !

The following users liked this post:
jinjaninja (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 06:35 PM

Oui Highway to Hell,

yes of course keeping the mileage down and also searching on e bay could be a source of parts but a Honda should go forever if it's regularly serviced I'm sure!!

My first big bike in 2005 was named after a town in France!! It was called the Honda Deauville !! Deauville is apparently where pure bred horses are raced!! - but this bike was previously called the NTV - a shaft drive naked bike which was popular with couriers as the engine would go forever. It was a 650cc v-twin and they are still selling these 2nd hand bikes today!! Not really designed for speed, more designed long miles and touring at a 'gentle' speed.

It's a heavy bike, too heavy for me. I'll never forget the first day i rode it home, i stalled it and dropped it just one hour after leaving the show room!! I dropped it the next day on the other side - then dropped it the 3rd day. After getting my clutch control back, i stopped dropping it, but by then both sides had been badly scratched and my ego was also badly bruised.

The dealership should never have sold me this bike as i'm not tall and can only reach the ground on tip toes - this bike weighs in at approx 240 kilos!! The dealership SHOULD HAVE sold me the Honda Hornet 600 and at least if i had stalled it i would have been able to keep the bike upright.
However, I learned the hard way what not to buy in future.

Since then I have stuck with bikes of 600cc or less and of course, have never dropped them. So for me the cbr650r is the slipper that fits! Triumph of course make the street tripple 750 which is even lighter than the cbr!! However I decided to stick with Honda Reliability and really am not tempted by any other bike.

Quick Reply: Advice for newbie CBR Sports Bike Riders