New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

About time

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About time

Hi all
About time I registered on here and thank the guys on here for various threads that have helped me resolve some bike problems.
I have a Black CBR600 FY which I purchased about 18months ago and absolutely love the bike inspite of some reliability issues when I first bought it. main problem was diagnosing a rectifier fault and got alot of tips from this forum, bike was fine for just over a year and now I have the same problem (serves my right for buying a cheaper version from china!!).
Have any of you guys had to change the rectifier more than once?
Generator tests ok but if the issue happens a 3rd time I'll get the wiring checked too. apart from that I've had to change tyres, sprockets brakes etc due to wear n tear but the most painfull job was the exhaust.
Seemed a fairly straight forward job for a diy person until you snap a stud off!! I got plenty of tips from here and tried sprays heat etc, used a drill chuck to get a decent grip but what was left snapped off so I drilled a pilot hole for an easy out and that snapped off too, ended up drilling a hole the correct size to re thread it and got a new stud screwed in ok.
My suggestion to anyone with an older bike would be pay someone to do it unless you have the facilites patience and know how to get them out.
I would avoid easy outs(esp cheap ones) and if you do have to drill then use hardened ones like cobalt etc.
Anyway back to the bike, I found it very light versatile and powerful when you need it. I used to commute to london and it felt nice n light going through traffic, it was even light to push when I had the rectifier problems. On the longer journeys it coped really well and boy does it move after 6k revs. Overal its a great bike but I think I bought one that was just coming up for jobs needing doing.
Thanks again for the tips and help I've gained from here.

Stuart

Old 08-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CBR600FYSTU
...About time I registered on here and thank the guys on here for various threads that have helped me resolve some bike problems.
Yeah it is! ;-) Welcome aboard Stuart!

Glad you have been getting your bike's issues sorted w/ info you've found here.

You asked about R/R replacement... I've replaced the R/R on my F4 once. The old R/R was superseded w/a upgraded design. Factory Honda recognized the limits/failures of the old design & upgraded. That upgraded design is what I have on my bike. It has run great since replacement. That was a few yrs ago now. Be sure to post up a thread in the appropriate bike section if you want more views & responses.

Good to have you w/ us.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Stuart.
Thanks for making it official. It's a lot better around here when you can ask/answer questions and get/give feed back.