New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

600 idle speed problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 04:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600 idle speed problem...

Hey, this is my first post as a new member, I'm really excited about my 2003 600rr, the problem is I really don't know much about the mechanics of my bike. I got the bike about two weeks ago and it was running great, I laid it down once on the left side, skid about 10 ft, not a bad spill but it was enough for me to really consider sliders and a paint job. Here's the deal, so I figured out there was a tip sensor, no big deal, wait an hour and I can start it up, it was running fine until I took off the fairings, and uppper cowl, I didn't unplug any wires or anything but the two turn signals connected to the front cowl. The problem after I put the fairings and cowl back on is the idle, it won't! I read other related postings and really i've tried turning my idle adjustment **** to the left like the manual says but it doesn't do anything... I have to open the throttle up to keep it running, plus I've tried riding, the engine dies when I pull the clutch to downshift!. I turn to the left on the idle **** but it just keep spinning and spinning! what do I do!? I just want my bike to idle at it's 1300 rpm again :O(... If anyone can help! I can save $100 from going to the shop where they'd fix it in 5 mins!

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR TIME!

Old 02-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: 600 idle speed problem...

Hello & welcome to the site gyrowiz.

So... from your story, I can assume your RR was running fine after the crash and you started having problems after you took the plastic off. Just an FYI, the trip sensor will reset if you turn the key on and off a few times. Speaking from experience. We have to start out simple for the troubleshooting. Does you FI light flash any? It's used as a code to let you know what's wrong. What all did you take off? Make sure your air box cover is back on right and check to see if anything is blocking the ducts. A bad leak in the air intake will cause poor idle. Strip it back down and see what it does.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:07 AM

Welcome to the site, could do with a bit more info like Don says....

Old 02-07-2006, 11:38 AM

Hello & Welcome!!

Let us know more.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:07 PM

Welcome to the boards sucks to hear you went down

it might be your idle control **** thing. mines on the left side. its a **** on the end of a cable that if you twist it left or right, it will control your idle RPM.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:32 PM

thanks for the quick response guys!!! you know, the start up lights are okay, but doncollins i think you may have figured it out, maybe I don't have enough air going to the engine, it seems to idle for about 5 to 8 minutes fine until the engine gets warm where it may need more air, I had some trouble putting the upper cowl back, i'll strip it down again... and be more careful with the air intake duct. btw, i removed the upper cowl, mid fairings, and lower fairings to get painted... Thanks a lot you guys! as soon as I got it back at 100% i'll take some pix and post them!

Old 02-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Retired Administrator

I hope some thing here works for you. I know on my RR there are rubber flaps that are right on top of the duct where it connects to the air box. I was thinking maybe the rubber is between the air box and the duct now, or something. But if it worked before you took the plastic off, then you might save a trip to the shop by taking the plastic back off and testing it. I'm a pro at the plastic now, I can have my bike naked in few minutes now.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:44 PM

Well that ends that...LOL

Old 02-07-2006, 06:56 PM
L8X

frame sliders is ALWAYS a good idea. good luck and have fun mending your bike.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:57 PM

welcome... and let us know if it was the air box

Quick Reply: 600 idle speed problem...