New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

2001 CBR 929, South Central OH

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 CBR 929, South Central OH

Hey all! So long story short... My first bike was a 2006 ZX-6RR that I bought in Feb. '09. Hit a deer while riding in KY in June '10. Totaled the bike, bought it back from insurance, made it a track bike. Sold it in summer '11 because I just wasn't going to be able to afford enough track days to make it worth holding onto it anymore. Was finally able to afford another bike and bought this '01 929 from a friend at work (). It was set up to be a track bike but I'm trying to convert it back to a street bike (will still ride it on the track, but I can't afford two separate bikes right now so this is my best option to have the best of both worlds).

While working to get it back to a street bike (was hoping to have it done asap so I could grab the last few good riding days that I might have here in OH), I've run into many more issues than I thought I would have...
  • The headlights don't seem to line up to the mounting bracket quite right, but I think it'll be alright (previous owner had headlights but they just weren't installed)... While looking more into the headlights, I found out that I don't even have stock headlights on the bike (I assumed they were when I bought it). Now I need to find nuts/bolts that will work with these lights to get them attached to the bracket. Anyone know what body kit this is so that maybe I can find out some more information about what I have here...?
Name:  IMG_20121113_191914.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  30.5 KB
  • To the headlights again... I determined which plug was the low beam and which was the high beam with a voltage tester. Now my issue is with the headlights themselves. For each light, I have two wires, one with a flat prong at the end and the other is just an open wire. Does that wire just need to be grounded to something? I really don't like messing with electrical components unless I absolutely need to. With those black wires, I only have that two inches or so of extra wire so I'll need to get some more wire to add onto that (part of why I want to confirm that this is what I need to do before I just do it).
  • The rear subframe doesn't have any of the tabs for passenger pegs anymore. I spoke with the previous two owners and they say that they didn't modify that at all so it may have been the first owner. Looks like I need to buy a new subframe now to get those tabs? (imagine that picture is rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise )
Name:  IMG_20121113_205614.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  41.5 KB
  • I have a stoplight plug down by the battery (white plug) but I don't see anything for rear turn signals - any help here? I have a picture of the two unused plugs, but I don't think the black one is the turn signals...
Name:  IMG_20121113_205538.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  55.2 KB
  • I need to get a new tail (I knew that going into this for both the seat and taillight), but I didn't really think too much about getting my license plate mounted somewhere until I actually got the bike to my house. Now it looks like I'm going to need to buy the stock undertail as well because the one that I have is just a solid piece all the way through. Any advice?
  • Probably just not going to install front turn signals unless I get signals that are part of the side mirrors...

I know that I have a lot of questions/concerns there, so I want to say thank you all in advance for any help that you can offer me. Problem is, I know that I'm going to come up with many more questions once these are answered...

Name:  CBR929RR01.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  CBR929RR03.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  100.3 KB

Old 11-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

welcome to cbrf GroulZer. that's a damn fine looking track bike. i loved the blacked out swinger and blacked out motor/frame/swingarm stay

as far as your questions, we have subforums here specific to each bike. i never built a 929, and i know their front ends are a little bit different from the 954 which i've built a few. but, can tell you this.

as far as the subframe - it looks like someone grounded the mounts for the rear pegs off - i do know that where the exhaust stay is mounted from is ONE of the tabs for the rear peg. as far as the wiring, the green wires are your grounds, they are for all 3 headlights as far as your stop lights and what not - i just glanced at a wiring diagram - i think one of those plugs is for the service check

welcome again, if you post these questions in the 929 section, i'm sure you'll get a much more informative answer

Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome!

The black connector under the seat is the service check connector. It does not get plugged into anything.
The rear tabs have been ground off. You will need to replace the subframe if you want them back on there.
Put up a pic of the headlight plugs so we can identify them. You should have 3 lights, 1 low and 2 high. each has a black 2 wire plug. usually the green single wires are the turn signal ground.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard!

Conrice & 74demon have you started off right. Both are extremely mechanically knowledgeable. Post up in the 929 section for hopefully more pointed responses to your model. No prob w/ questions tho...ask as many as you like. :-)

Good looking bike. Good luck w/ converting it back to street.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 PM

Welcome to the forums,

Nice looking machine you've got, I bet it goes like the clappers!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 PM

Thank you all for the responses!

I spent some more time on it after work today... For the headlights- I actually don't have stock headlights, but rather I have two projector lights so I only have two headlight plugs. I got those hooked up today and they're working great!

For the black connector that I asked about... I did spend some time looking through the service manual earlier this evening and did see that it is a service check plug. I apologize for asking about that as I should have looked through the manual more thoroughly beforehand.

For the passenger pegs... I'm glad that you confirmed that the exhaust is using one of the tabs for the passenger pegs- I had not thought of that as I assumed that I was just missing all 4 tabs. That puts me in a difficult spot because if I go and buy a new subframe I'm going to need to figure out where/how to mount the custom exhaust. I may try to have someone weld some tabs on the current subframe for some passenger pegs... Maybe? This is about the crappiest part of getting the bike street-ready again because it seems to be putting me in the worst place.

I did find the plugs for the rear turn signals in a small box of miscellaneous stuff that the previous owner gave to me. However it seems that I just have the plugs that would plug into the signals (and hopefully the integrated taillight) but I don't have any of the wiring that would get from there to the brake light plug. I'm actually thinking that I may just wire the rear turn signals up to the front turn signal wires since I don't plan to have front turn signals anyways.

I guess my next step is going to be to get a stock tail section and an integrated taillight into my hands, get them on the bike, and see what else I need to continue. Again, I appreciate the feedback that you all have given to me!

Old 11-15-2012, 04:47 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome! Definitely check out the sub sections below.. There is much to be learned on this forum for your bike.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:32 PM
Default Hey

So ur bike is still amazing. Cant believe i found this lol

Old 08-15-2020, 04:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice. Best of luck on your project, it looks like it will involve some fun fabrication work.

Old 08-16-2020, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Kent
So ur bike is still amazing. Cant believe i found this lol
Hahaha, that’s great. Glad you like it, Mike!