New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

1st Time bike owner, Mt Vernon, WA

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Time bike owner, Mt Vernon, WA

Hi all, I just picked up my first bike last night. It's a green and black (originally red and black) 87 CBR600F with 45700 miles on it. Nearly new tires and a spare set of wheels with new tires on them (front is same size, rear might not work). I'm starting to get the hang of it and really enjoying riding.

I made the newb mistake last night by not checking the fuel level before I left the guys house and ran out of fuel and ended up putting it in the back of my Dodge to bring home. So far so good now, although I want to repaint the farings to yellow for better visability and get a tank guard so I don't slide as much (my buddy put them on his 2012 CBR600RR and loves them). I'll post pics later on. If there are any local riders near me I'd love to meet ya'll.

Adam

Old 11-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the asylum Adam !
I'm sure some more inmates will be along in a while to say hello
Enjoy what we have to offer...........

Old 11-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum Adam.
I think we all have made that mistake when we were noobs too. I didn't even know that my first bike had a reserve until the bike shut off and a buddy of mine just happened to be driving by and told me. Lol. Check out the regional section for people near you.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:27 PM

Thanks. I'm still not sure if I'm on the reserve or main tank right now, the body's been repainted. The selector is facing up right now and I've put about 20 miles on it since I filled it up.

The bike came with 2 spare wheels with nearly new tires on them. The front one is the same size but the rear one isn't so I'll be selling that shortly. My landlord noticed some age rot on the front tire between the tread so I'll be getting that changed out Tuesday along with having the chain tightened up a bit.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on getting your first bike! Welcome to CBRF.

Great that your '87 has found a good home. Sounds like you're looking forward to keeping it going w/ an active life. :-)

For leg grip on your tank, get yourself some stomp-grip or make your own.

Did you take the MSF course?

Old 11-11-2012, 03:08 PM

I'll take care of the tank leg grip once I repaint the farings. I haven't taken the course yet, just on a permit right now. I'll take the bike in Tuesday and get the front tire replaced along with the chain adjusted. The brake fluid and oil were freshly changed I want to change the muffler pipe though, it's sticking up a a pretty high angle right now and bugging me.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Welcome to the forums, or the aslyum

Good first bike, I like the sound of the colour scheme cannot wait to see pics!

Old 11-11-2012, 03:43 PM

Here's a couple pics I took this morning. I just added a couple pieces of reflective tape to the sides of the farings at the front of the bike as well as a couple on my helmet for extra visability. I'll take updated pics of the bike later, about to head out.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

welcome to cbrf. i'm glad youre enjoying riding as a new rider. we all have run out of gas. too bad for me, it was a 5 mile push to the gas station for my first time. hahaha, oh well, things like that teach you what mistakes to not make again. can't wait to see pics of your bike, hope you get the tire sorted pretty quick.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Wecolme to the CBR Forum honestabe - and thanks for posting pictures of your bike.

It is an interesting colour scheme isn't it? Have a look at a few CBR600's in the gallery before you settle on yellow - there may be something you like better.

Plenty of knowledgable people on the forum, so ask any questions you need.

Cheers, SB

Quick Reply: 1st Time bike owner, Mt Vernon, WA