New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

1999 CBR 600 won't start please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 CBR 600 won't start please help

I have a 1999 CBR 600 that will not start. I have traced it to the fuel pump not supplying fuel when turning the bike over. I can jump the pump and it works and supplies fuel and then the bike will run but only runs until fuel gets low in the tank. I have replaced the fuel relay and that did not work or seem to help. I can feel and hear the pump when the key is turned on for a second and then nothing after that or when hitting the starter button. I'm out of ideas and would appreciate any kind of help.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It might be worthwhile to check the fuel strainer and filter. Is it running lean?

Old 03-22-2018, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
It might be worthwhile to check the fuel strainer and filter. Is it running lean?
I do not believe it is running lean. It ran fine when I put it up for winter but when I pulled it out this spring no fuel was getting in the carbs. I can take the fuel line off the petcock and blow into it puching fuel through the filter and out of the fuel pump. It is kinda hard though but would assume it would be becuase of the filter.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Confirmed battery voltage? It's pretty common for bikes that have been sitting, and a lot of them won't run well if the battery is low. Also, are you running fresh fuel, or is this the stuff that's been sitting in the tank?

If it stops running when the gas is low, that points to strainer screen. Possibly dirt and junk stuck against the screen which is choking off the fuel flow. Drain the gas, pull the petcock and clean the screens

For how cheap they are, I'd throw a new fuel filter on it, and while it's apart, perform a fuel pump inspection to rule out the pump itself. I'm not super familiar with your bike, so check your manual for the process, but basically you jumper the fuel pump, put the fuel line into a graduated cylinder and measure the flow for a set period of time

If the strainer, pump, filter, and voltage are all confirmed good, it would be time to start looking at carburetion or ignition, but if you say that no fuel is getting to the carbs, it definitely looks like a problem upstream

Hope that helps