New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

1994 sc28 clutch not engaging / please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 sc28 clutch not engaging / please help

Hello to all and hope someone can help.
I own a 1994 Cbr 900 sc 28 I’ve been doing an overhaul and renewing loads of parts as I’ve not ridden it in over 5 years.
list of new parts below
fork oil / fork seals / fork dust seals
stator
regulator rectifyier
chain and sprockets
new tyres front and rear
brake pads all round
brake fluid front and rear
rear sets
leaver
choke cable
Accelerator cables
carb overhaul kit
battery
led indicators / led relay
x2 one way diodes for led indicators
air filter / oil filter / fuel filter
metal brake lines front and rear
bulbs all round
x4 new spark plugs
x2 new coil packs
renthal grips
r&g bar end protectors
r&g frame protectors
complete ss exhaust system with carbon devil back box
last of all a new clutch kit and cable

this is where my problem starts 🙈
so I soaked the new clutch plates for 24 hours
installed the small seat ring washer first then the judder spring, yes the judder spring is installed the correct way round, then the first plate which has a larger internal diameter, then metal spacer then carried on with the rest as per normal, fitting the last plate into its different recess and then fitted the cover plate and then the x5 new springs / washers and nuts, all torqued up to correct torque setting. Then put back on outer clutch cover and filled the bike up with oil and refitted the new clutch cable, leaving a mm of free play in the cable, bike starts Loverly and sounds great but the clutch allows you to select a gear but then slips like a mo fo and won’t pull away ? Please help as it’s driving me crazy. I’ve now re drained the oil and removed clutch housing and re checked the whole clutch again. As above everything is in the right order and judder spring in in the correct way around, bought new engine oil and tried again, same again no joy and she’s slipping like before, I did put it in gear up against a wall and revved it up in first gear hoping that the clutch would engage, did this for short 20 second bursts and it enabled me to gently pull away but then more slippage, it seemed like the more the bike was ridden past the slippage it pulled a bit better but then if you gassed off and stopped and pulled away from standstill it just slips again. Any advice would be gratefull to try resolve this issue. Oh by the way the new exhaust sounded wicked. Lol
so desperate to go for the mot and a blast
PLEASE HELP 🙏🏻

Last edited by 94sc28blade; 11-24-2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

@94sc28blade It sure seems like you've got the clutch assembled correctly. Few questions. Is there any slack in the clutch cable (does the clutch lever have free play in it)? What specific oil did you put in the engine? What brand of clutch disks did you use? How thick are the clutch disks? Spec is 2.92 - 3.08 mm.

Old 12-02-2021, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
@94sc28blade It sure seems like you've got the clutch assembled correctly. Few questions. Is there any slack in the clutch cable (does the clutch lever have free play in it)? What specific oil did you put in the engine? What brand of clutch disks did you use? How thick are the clutch disks? Spec is 2.92 - 3.08 mm.
yes the assembly is correct, there is a few mm of free play, semi synthetic motul 10/40 the clutch is from EBC ck1206 and the plates are roughly 3.05mm. Seat washer first then the judder the correct way round, larger Internal diameter internal diameter plate first the steel then plate and repeat and the last plate sits in its own recess. All steels are brand new.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Clutch springs at least 43.6 mm in length? What is the condition of the Clutch Outer where the tabs of the A disks fit into?

Old 12-02-2021, 02:24 PM

The springs are brand new and 44.4mm long
tab slots are all ok.

Old 12-02-2021, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

If the clutch is slipping, it's a mechanical problem right? Not enough pressure squeezing the clutch, oil too slippery, or some mechanical bind preventing the springs from squeezing the clutch. I'm at a loss as to what might be the reason here.

Anyone else?

Old 12-31-2021, 09:24 AM
Default my clutch

I take advantage of the topic that is related. to ask for support. In the process of making my CBR 600 project, now I have doubts about in which direction the nut that holds the clutch basket is turned if it is standing in front of the clutch. The other question is how many friction discs it should have and how many metal ones. I will appreciate your support.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cuca
I take advantage of the topic that is related. to ask for support. In the process of making my CBR 600 project, now I have doubts about in which direction the nut that holds the clutch basket is turned if it is standing in front of the clutch. The other question is how many friction discs it should have and how many metal ones. I will appreciate your support.
@cuca I'm sure there are users here that can answer your question. I suggest creating a new thread and provide the year and model of your bike. I will help members provide better answers. Also, welcome to the forum.