Mid West IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

Where should I ride?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where should I ride?

I have posted this in the CBR F4i section...
Please respond there.

https://cbrforum.com/m_210717/mpage_.../tm.htm#210717

Old 01-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where should I ride?

ORIGINAL: OldFatGuy

I can't help you out specifically, but here is a screen shot that MapPoint says is a 2 hour drive time zone from your zip code.

This is what I do: [ul][*]Get a map (or some mapping software is better)[*]Look for rivers[*]Find roads that run along the river[*]River roads generally have less traffic and more curves[*]River roads almost always have good scenery too[*]Find a string of small towns that aren't on a major highway and visit them[*]State parks - riding in them and generally getting to them are fun[*]You'll typically find a few other good roads on your way to/from the river roads[*]Explore, explore, explore![/ul]I hope this helps some. I can't give you specific routes, but get some mapping software and when you're bored at night and wishing you had a good place to ride, open up the software and start trying to find some places. You'll find some good ones, and some not so good ones. Part of the fun of riding is going some place new. A two hour drive time zone gives you plenty of places to explore as you can see. Little towns off the beaten path are always fun too. You'll find some great Mom & Pop restaurants along the way as well.

MapPoint will let you build a route and you can tell it what type of roads you want to travel or how you want to get there. Choose Arterial Roads (or whatever your software calls it) and it will keep you off the interstates. The secondary type roads are always the best. Less traffic, less cops, better curves.

Good luck and have fun with it!