Mid West IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

Illinois licensing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Illinois licensing question

Hey everyone, I just bought my bike a few days ago. It has a clear title and has yet to be registered and insured. Those are not the issue though. I am only 17 and have my class M permit, but really would like to get my license now. I've had my permit for 2-3 weeks maybe. My question is, where can I take a class or test to get my license ASAP that lets 17 year olds get their class M license? Can't do it through the state because classes are filled for months to come, and I tried going to the Harley dealer (Ride Chicago or something) and they said you have to be 18. I really would love to get my license before I turn 18 (which is in December so I would have to wait until Spring to begin riding) so I can ride until it gets cold out and throughout the rest of Summer. Any help appreciated!

- Jason

Old 07-13-2009, 02:23 PM

IL requires you to hold a permit for 90 days before you can take your road test. Sucks, right? here's the fun part: Most people at the DMV don't know this. If you think you can hack it, just hop on down, and tell them you need to take your road test. Odds are they'll let you.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:27 PM

BAH, you're 17. Nevermind. You're totally screwed for this season. To get into the MSF courses, you gotta sign up within like 10 minutes of them announcing the course, or it fills up, ans that's in like February. On the upside, you can still ride, you just have to be riding along side an endorsed biker. DO NOT try to risk it. The IL cops are runnign a big campaign this summer to crack down on unlicensed bikers. I've been pulled over twice already, just so they can check my paperwork.

Your one and only option REALLY sucks: Go down to wherever they have the MSF course by you every friday, and offer everyone $100 or so to give you their seat. I'm honestly not even sure if the MSF allows seat swapping anymore. I DO know that they do a lottery if people just don't show up.

Last edited by johnnyx; 07-13-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
BAH, you're 17. Nevermind. You're totally screwed for this season. To get into the MSF courses, you gotta sign up within like 10 minutes of them announcing the course, or it fills up, ans that's in like February. On the upside, you can still ride, you just have to be riding along side an endorsed biker. DO NOT try to risk it. The IL cops are runnign a big campaign this summer to crack down on unlicensed bikers. I've been pulled over twice already, just so they can check my paperwork.

Your one and only option REALLY sucks: Go down to wherever they have the MSF course by you every friday, and offer everyone $100 or so to give you their seat. I'm honestly not even sure if the MSF allows seat swapping anymore. I DO know that they do a lottery if people just don't show up.
Yeah that's what I figured. This really does suck, I wanted to ride this season too. There's no 3rd party solutions anywhere that allow 17 year olds to do their program? (something similar to ride chicago).

Old 07-13-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jmannumber7
Yeah that's what I figured. This really does suck, I wanted to ride this season too. There's no 3rd party solutions anywhere that allow 17 year olds to do their program? (something similar to ride chicago).
No. Its a signature legality thing. I can't explain why MSF gets to bypass it, but there it is. Maybe cuz the state allows for parent signatures for driver's ed. I dunno.

Last edited by johnnyx; 07-13-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:18 PM

No. Its a signature legality thing. I can't explain why MSF gets to bypass it, but there it is.
Well that sucks. Off topic, but can you point me to an eBay listing where I can get a Trailtech Vapor unit capable with my bike? I have no idea what fits, plugs in, works with my bike, etc.... I just ordered some new mirrors

Old 07-13-2009, 03:33 PM

You need the generic one where you wire up an aftermarket wheel to yoru rim and everything:

http://www.trailtech.net/75-704.html

Ebay:

http://www.google.com/product_url?q=...hl=en&sa=title

But PowerSport has it cheaper:

Old 07-13-2009, 03:34 PM

Is it possible the Harley place is just wrong? Call in and ask a few different people if your parent can sign for you.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:38 PM

You need the generic one where you wire up an aftermarket wheel to yoru rim and everything:

http://www.trailtech.net/75-704.html

Ebay:

But PowerSport has it cheaper:

So if I bought the one from eBay what else would I need?

Is it possible the Harley place is just wrong? Call in and ask a few different people if your parent can sign for you.
I hope so, I'll try calling around and what not.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:03 PM

cant you just go get your license without taking the safety course? or dont you have any riding experience? or if you are under 18 do have have to take course?

i know that i went and took written and driven test only a day apart.

Quick Reply: Illinois licensing question