What to look for when buying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when buying?

If I were to buy a late touring model, if the service book is not present, what are the tell tale signs of lack of correct maintenance on these bikes? I looked at a couple which looked very clean, but put off with having to spend money on a major service and rebuilding some parts.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly you can tell a lot just by looking it over and chatting with the owner about the bike. Most people won't lie to your face, and if they've bothered to keep the bike clean, running, and with good tires/final drive, that'll be good enough for first impressions

Ask them what oil they use, and what pressure they put on the tires. Ask whether anything's been modified, and if any work has been done on the bike. Ask if it's been crashed, and confirm that it has a clean title. Pay attention to their confidence level as the bike's history is being discussed. If there's an oil spot on the ground where the bike's been parked, as 'em if it's normal. If the bike's been sitting for a long time, get a good sense of why. If there are any known issues, get them out in the open

Then have them run it. Watch the exhaust while they start it, and sniff around for the smell of gas or burning oil/coolant

There's no such thing as perfect certainty when buying a used bike. The best you can hope for is de-risking the purchase while not being unreasonable (ie, you're not gonna be able to convince a seller to let you strip the bike down so you can do a compression test)

Finally, unless you really want a project, don't buy a non-runner

Good luck, have fun

Old 07-29-2019, 09:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 to all of 'Slap's advice

If you can get a ride on it, then do so. Listen for noises and feel for worn/sloppy bearings and bushings in the steering/suspension. Sticky or spongy brakes are a sure sign of immediate repair for safety's sake alone

Also, where are you located and how much do you ride? I know the UK guys have to go through a fairly rigorous inspection process to get their bikes licensed. If you're in the UK, a current MOT should be good sign?

Lastly, how much are you willing to take on? If you're asking here, on the Hurricane forum, we're talking about bikes that are 24-32 years old. Most will qualify as vintage in some clubs. Dwindling parts supplies and near to never obtainable parts are something to consider.

Also, in my experience, a well taken care of 32,000 mile Honda might be less of a hassle than a low mileage garage queen that's been sitting most of it's life.

I'm learning that last part now. Though luckily, the issues have been minor..

Let us know what you've been looking at. If it's not a Hurricane, maybe someone has knowledge of a different model.

What catches my eye?

ST-1300's
Any Kawasaki Concours from this century
Same with a Yamaha FJ-13's
BMW R-models, though most in my price range have high mileage, but the 'Beemer riders I know are diligent with their PM's.

To sum it up. Unless you want to experience joy and pain in the same breath.

Avoid Italian bikes They're high maintenance bitches.