Ladies Lounge Off Topic Section for female CBR enthusiasts to discuss non-CBR related topics.

Recruiting the next generation of lady bikers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recruiting the next generation of lady bikers?

Whenever I'm out and about, little girls in passing cars or walking on the pavement often point and smile at my pink helmet and gear. Some even jump up and down or skip (which is adorable) and I always wave back.

Today as I was stood next to my bike putting my gloves on, a little girl of about 12 rode up to me on her bicycle and said;

"I didn't think girls were allowed to ride motorbikes."

Now I set the little lass straight and explained that of course girls can ride motorbikes, and we can do pretty much anything else you could imagine, but I was shocked that I had to explain this. She seemed genuinely surprised and slightly scandalised to see a female motorcyclist.

Has anyone else had to do any recruiting? Or rescuing potential future female motorcyclists from the clutches of negative social conditioning? I never thought I'd have to tell a little girl about equal opportunities like this.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 AM

He, I havent. Mostly I see big eyes and open mouths. Last summer when I was waiting to get on a ship, just when I had desided to take my helmet off I heard small boys aprox 6 to 10 yr old ones shouting few cars behind me daddy daddy look she has got blue hair. Parents shosshhed the boys and ordered them to go back into the car. I got really red and didnt dare to look up for a while so desided to act buzy and called my mom confirming that I made to Helsinki I literally shutted my ears.

Few rows on left were very very judgeing eyes of a group of men too. Atleast my red face made my blue fringe light up lmao.

Other than that I have had few friends baby girls demanding to sit on my bike and all of them make the same motor sound like they are on top of the world Regardless of the sex

Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by butcherspencil
Whenever I'm out and about, little girls in passing cars or walking on the pavement often point and smile at my pink helmet and gear. Some even jump up and down or skip (which is adorable) and I always wave back.

Today as I was stood next to my bike putting my gloves on, a little girl of about 12 rode up to me on her bicycle and said;

"I didn't think girls were allowed to ride motorbikes."

Now I set the little lass straight and explained that of course girls can ride motorbikes, and we can do pretty much anything else you could imagine, but I was shocked that I had to explain this. She seemed genuinely surprised and slightly scandalised to see a female motorcyclist.

Has anyone else had to do any recruiting? Or rescuing potential future female motorcyclists from the clutches of negative social conditioning? I never thought I'd have to tell a little girl about equal opportunities like this.
Hi Butcherspencil,

Very interesting story!

I genuinely feel as a society we are continually evolving....with attitudes, opinions, judements and the like, becoming less and less stereotypical........which is a wonderful thing indeed!

By and large, we are a free society (well, at least in this great "land of Oz"...and many other western countries!), where regardless of gender, almost anything is possible and achievable.........even females riding motorbikes! LOL

I must say, I'm very new to riding and have just purchased my first bike at 48, and whilst there has been a couple of negative reactions........I've been greeted and blessed with nothing but encouragement and support, by my partner, friends and family alike!

We're getting there........and this forum alone, is such a fine example of the acceptance of female riders, where gender does not discriminate........and everyone is "one and all", simply sharing their passion and love of motorbikes!

I've also recently joined an Australian Kawasaki Forum.........where it is the same!

I guess........us girls have just got to get out there, and demonstrate to all future female generations, anything is possible when you set your mind to it............and set a fine example!

Those are just my humble thoughts!

Stay safe and happy out there!

Cheers,
Robster