Ladies Lounge Off Topic Section for female CBR enthusiasts to discuss non-CBR related topics.

hey ladies I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 03:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey ladies I need your help

My Girlfriend wants to get into riding. Problem is she stands about 5'5 and weighs in about 105 lbs. she has never driven a bike before but has spent alot of time on the back of mine. She is a pretty passive girl and I dont want to get her in over her head. she wants a 600 rr but she can keep dreaming because she would last about 2 hours on it before she flew off into the woods on it. I was thinking a suz 650 s. Also I would love any advice on ideas about how to teach her to ride. I dont want her to get frustrated with it, Thanks Ladies and I look forward to your input.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:26 AM
Default RE: hey ladies I need your help

First of all, the best place for her to learn to ride is a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. Boyfriends, husbands and fathers can sometimes be a major pain when it comes to teaching anything mechanical.
Once she knows a bit about riding, have her try a variety of motorcycles of various sizes to see which feels the most comfortable and manageable to her.
Terry

Old 05-23-2006, 11:20 AM

I agree.... before she even THINKS about buying a bike, she needs to take the MSF, and make sure it's even something she'll enjoy.

That said, especially considering her size and her passivity, you might want to talk her into something smaller, like a Kawasaki 250 or maybe 500. Great, forgiving starter bikes, and a bit lower in the saddle.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:49 PM

Ditto on everything said so far.
MSF class, no 600RR.

And riding her own bike might bring out a less passive side!

I started on a '76 BMW 60/5 (haha, wish I still had it), nice thing about it was I could pick it up in two stages - first to the cylinder head and then fully upright.
The Ninja 250 or 500 is a good starter. Or most any standard 500. Used is good.

-Susan
'04CBR600F4i

Old 05-23-2006, 05:39 PM

I bought my 250 a few weeks prior to taking the MSF course. I thought I was in over my head, but I'm a quick learner and was fine. I rode my bike home next to my neighbor, who was licensed. I took the course and handled the bike wonderfully. I waited about a year and bought the F4i. That was a big jump for me and it took much getting used to since 2 weeks after I got it, I was cut off and lost 2 months of riding/learning on that bike. I'm still a bit sketchy on turns, but retired the monster boots I bought to help with the height. I'm 5'2" and about 130lbs. I had the suspension tuned to my weight and the bike is now great for me. The best advice is to have her start small then work her way up...don't jump in the deep end if you can't really swim....hope that helps and by no means was I trying to make this a "me" thread....I just rather have people know what can happen when you may be in over your head!

Old 05-23-2006, 09:15 PM

+1 on the MSF course. My ex tried to teach me how to ride, i still have the scars from it, lol. Not that he didn't have the patience for it, it was just that he had forgotten soo much "beginner" stuff that is so important to first timers.
Once your girl takes the course, she will have a much better idea/understanding of what she may want as a "starter" bike. I wouldn't really recommend sitting on bikes at this point, because she really has no idea of "how" a bike should feel. Not to mention should she drop one on the showroom floor......................
I really started on an 04 GS500, and i still got the seat shaved 1.5" just so I could comfortably flat foot it. I just got my F4i a couple of weeks ago, and while i can't flat foot it, I am comfortable with it. It would not have made a good starter bike for me.
Good luck with it. Once she figures out that she really can do it, there will be no holding her back.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:28 PM

Hey ladies thanks so much for all the good input, its really hard to remember how scary it can be the first time your riding a bike. I thins the ninja 500 might be the way to go do to the fact she wont need to upgrade for quite some time. if anyone has any other advice please feel free to let me know. Thank you again
Erik

Old 05-24-2006, 02:31 AM

Good Luck...

Old 04-25-2007, 03:29 AM

I agree with the MSF class. and a Ninja 250 is a great starter bike. You can pick them up cheap used and they are very forgiving. I think I had mine about a year before i upgraded to a 600f4i. I know if I had started with the 600 I easily would've been eating pavement in the beginning. by the way kudos for encouraging your girlfriend

Old 04-26-2007, 09:15 PM

My friend started with an F4i....that poor bike....ugh....[&:]

Quick Reply: hey ladies I need your help