The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

When is it too hot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Today IS too hot!

Major bushfires with about 50 Country Fire Service units fighting the blaze on about a 100 km front within 5 to 10 kms south east from our house............

Both the above photos are about 5 km from home and we have had ash falling from the sky in the back yard.

Not a good day. 3 houses lost already.

My neighbour Mark and I built this today after the fires started...

The fire crews have been coming in to refuel all day and this will continue most of the night. They are tired now so it's going to be a long night. We're about to have dinner and feed Mark (the service station owner next door).

There's currently about 25 fires burning throughout South Australia!

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 01-17-2014 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:49 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch! Let's hope that makeshift fire truck (props for the enginuity) can stay in the parking lot. Stay safe out there! Sanna and Samuli sends their regards!

Old 01-17-2014, 04:29 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a plan mate.

My (as yet unpatented) method for bush fire protection for houses. I will send you some sketches and will await your opinion why it won't (or will) work.

As always; any future revenue from my astoundingly brilliant, but simple idea, won't be shared with you.

But there may be a couple of gins in it for you; as we call into S.A., on our way to somewhere cooler.

And just by the way, did I notice an illegal taillight in the photo of the temp fire truck?

No matter how good your intentions are, the cops will still find a reason to ticket you.

Last edited by kiwi TK; 01-17-2014 at 04:49 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:09 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

I remember watching a show from TV some years back where some backyard scientist had invented a spray-on fireproofing for houses that contained IIRC cloth or paper fibers, water and some sort of gel to keep it together. It stayed cool enough even when fired upon with a flamethrower to efficiently protect the building from any damage and could then be rinsed off with a garden hose cause it was water based and diluted so that it let go of the wall.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Looking out our front door to the north east...............

A cool change slammed into us a little over an hour ago and swung the fire around. We now have a thunderstorm heading our way leaving a wake of new fires behind it with lightning strikes.

The local fire is now burning towards Kyneton and Angaston in the Barossa.

Crews are coming through Mount Pleasant looking beaten and the scanner is telling us this is a bad one.

SB

Old 01-17-2014, 05:25 AM

Hey Mattson, you're up way too late (or early), I don't remember how this time zone thing works.

My (unpatended) idea does not involve any fancy chemicals, simply a use of water pressure and the assumption that most home owners haven't been doing the basic home maintenance stuff that most of us should do; but have never quite got around too.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:36 AM

Umm fast at work, 13:32 in my truck's clock ATM. But sure I could use a nap

Let's hope the fires stay away and won't do much other damage either although the chances of it seems grim. I've seen some footage of the Australian bushfires ot the telly and I must say those firemen has nuts the size of footballs, a wall of fire lik that would surely get me to haul so e serious butt to the opposite direction...

Edit: numerous typos thanks to my phone's system update last night, been glitching the whole day...

Last edited by Mattson; 01-17-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:46 AM

Hey Seb, if you need to send to send the gorgeous Joy away to keep her safe, Wanaka is always a safe option.

No guarantee of course that you will get her back

Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Hey Seb, if you need to send to send the gorgeous Joy away to keep her safe, Wanaka is always a safe option.

No guarantee of course that you will get her back

Thanks Teeks,

I asked Joy and she'd going to brave it out here

Huge thunderstorm and lightning about to hit us so will probably lose power soon. One heck of a night in Mt Pleasant!

Cheers, SB

Old 01-17-2014, 11:22 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay safe Seb!

Got my fingers and toes crossed for you.