The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

When is it too hot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014 | 10:52 PM

I actually had a cupla Bombay Sapphire's last night Seb....stop at 2 mate, there not so flash in the heat the following day

Roadijeff
I don't know about that. For those of us who are more used to F instead of C, 46C is 114.8*F. The record high for Phoenix, Arizona was 122°F (50C), set on June 26, 1990. I don't know if that's the hottest big city in the US, I just know it gets hot there in the summer because I've be through there during that time.

like I said
I was reading that if Adelaide hits 46c today it will be the hottest temp ever recorded in a populated city...in the world...the why's & how's they come to this I don't know,

Certainly when you consider Arab city's & the UAE has a fairly large joint called Dubai

Old 01-16-2014 | 01:33 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

OMG guys I honestly don't know how you deal with temps like that! I'd say like 30c gets uncomfortable, 35+ I prefer to keep inside, within close proximity to the AC machine, but 46?! I'm getting a temp stroke just thinking about it... As said before, this is one of the only countries in the world where the difference between the min and max temps within 12 months can exceed 70c, but it mostly stays between +-35c. Don't know of any other place (maybe canada?) where almost all new cars comes fitted with AC AND a Webasto. Heck, I bet most of you aussie/nz guys don't even know what that is Although unpleasant, cold I can endure, you can always go inside to warm up, but heat is much harder to escape... Of course the air humidity plays a big role too, I remember when we were in Gambia it was close to your temps and even though scorching hot it was not THAT unpleasant, last summer we had a few days of +35c but the air humidity was close to 100%, it was so humid that when I took the dog for a little walk my shirt got all wet just from standing still! The rest of the day we laid side by side in front of the AC.. And TBT you're right about that convection oven thing, when it gets hot enough it stops from gooling no matter how fast you go...

Btw for the record: not a cloud in the sky and a mild -12,5c. Was on the phone with missynet a few days ago, -22c around there, a bit more to the north.

Last edited by Mattson; 01-16-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2014 | 02:11 AM
|
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mattson
OMG guys I honestly don't know how you deal with temps like that! I'd say like 30c gets uncomfortable, 35+ I prefer to keep inside, within close proximity to the AC machine, but 46?! I'm getting a temp stroke just thinking about it... As said before, this is one of the only countries in the world where the difference between the min and max temps within 12 months can exceed 70c, but it mostly stays between +-35c. Don't know of any other place (maybe canada?) where almost all new cars comes fitted with AC AND a Webasto. Heck, I bet most of you aussie/nz guys don't even know what that is Although unpleasant, cold I can endure, you can always go inside to warm up, but heat is much harder to escape... Of course the air humidity plays a big role too, I remember when we were in Gambia it was close to your temps and even though scorching hot it was not THAT unpleasant, last summer we had a few days of +35c but the air humidity was close to 100%, it was so humid that when I took the dog for a little walk my shirt got all wet just from standing still! The rest of the day we laid side by side in front of the AC.. And TBT you're right about that convection oven thing, when it gets hot enough it stops from gooling no matter how fast you go...

Btw for the record: not a cloud in the sky and a mild -12,5c. Was on the phone with missynet a few days ago, -22c around there, a bit more to the north.
It's a sunroofy thing that you can slide back to let that cool winter sun in!

And I think it only got to 44 Degrees Celsius here today so almost cool.

Cheers, SB

Old 01-16-2014 | 02:38 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Hm, apparently they make those too... but you might have guessed I meant the little box that goes like a jet engine and heats your car...

Old 01-16-2014 | 03:01 AM
|
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mattson
Hm, apparently they make those too... but you might have guessed I meant the little box that goes like a jet engine and heats your car...

Wow! Just looked them up. Didn't know they existed. I drive a Landcruiser Diesel and a Golf Diesel and have never had problems during our deepest winter with the heater working effectively. Looks a good solution for the ummmmm chillier climes

Cheers, SB

Old 01-16-2014 | 04:32 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Ice cold Strongbow Apple Ciders last night and probably G&T (Bombay Sapphire East - the new one) on the rocks tonight. Looking forward to a couple of them already.
Bombay Sapphire East??? My interest has been piqued.

Old 01-16-2014 | 05:05 AM
|
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Bombay Sapphire East??? My interest has been piqued.
Two MORE botanicals Teeks - and let me tell you that after 3 each Mrs SB and I are ready for the live organ transplants!

It IS good sh*t

http://theginisin.com/gin-reviews/bombay-sapphire-east/

Cheers, SB

Old 01-16-2014 | 09:03 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Wow! Just looked them up. Didn't know they existed. I drive a Landcruiser Diesel and a Golf Diesel and have never had problems during our deepest winter with the heater working effectively. Looks a good solution for the ummmmm chillier climes

Cheers, SB
I think it's more of a pre-heater Seb, I drive a Saab and it comes as an optional extra, warms up the engine and cabin before you get into the car. Correct me if I'm wrong Matt.

Old 01-16-2014 | 10:54 AM

Well, it's kind of both. The main use is for pre-heating but when it's cold enough, modern diesel engines struggle to keep the temp up so you can keep it on while driving aswell. Webasto and Eberspächer (I got an eber) are the leading brands but for example Mikuni makes some parking heaters for trucks too. Some older Volvos like my old S80 have Ardic:s but I think they went out of business as the heaters were known to be unreliable. Basically the problem with them is no one servives them and when they eventually fail it's in such a bad shape it's better to replace the whole unit when you're looking at spending around 1200Eur. Anyway pretty cool sipping on my morning coffee, pushing the remote button and listen to the heater go ticktickticktick-bchooooooo in the parking lot. Been thinking of investing to a gsm-relay so I could call it on when ending my work day.

Old 01-16-2014 | 12:39 PM

Well.......keeping with the cold theme of this thread,
many, many years ago a friend of mine pulled an Eberspacher gas fed heater from his VW Micro bus and installed it in his rag top Jeep. It was like this one--> link