The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Ventura luggage rack nightmare

Old 07-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ventura luggage rack nightmare

A little over 6 weeks ago i dished out $45o at Sydney City Motorcycles online store for a ventura rack and mistral bag. A couple of days later i recieved an email saying it would be a few extra days as it was a model specific part blah blah blah. All good, i understand that and can wait. I called them to see just how long a couple of days was and was told 4 weeks Well in the land downunder options are somewhat limited so 4 weeks it is. It has now been over 6 weeks so today i called them and told them to cancel my order.

I am now looking overseas to find myself a decent carry rack/luggage rack option. I was thinking this one from rennetec as it looks much better than the ventura one. does anyone have any alternatives in thier neck of the woods. I am sure i can get it landed in aus in less than the 6 weeks it took Sydney City Motorcycles not to deliver the ventura crap.

Cheers
Damo

Old 07-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sprock made one in about an hour which fits under the sides of the seat - made of round bar and works well.....weld on 4 flat tabs to secure it on the underseat bolts.
Then all you need is a box/flat plate/ to mount on it and you're away.
Way cheaper, immediate delivery and does the job superbly.

Attached Thumbnails Ventura luggage rack nightmare-protorack1.jpg  
Old 07-02-2012, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
Sprock made one in about an hour which fits under the sides of the seat - made of round bar and works well.....weld on 4 flat tabs to secure it on the underseat bolts.
Then all you need is a box/flat plate/ to mount on it and you're away.
Way cheaper, immediate delivery and does the job superbly.
Thanks for the post Shadow.......

and good job Sprock, and perhaps the manufacturer may want to chime in sometime with answers to a couple of questions.

Is that a Givi mount secured to the rear seat? Or was it there as an example of the size of the hole it was to fill in Sprock's pipework?

Damo - all I can say is I share your pain. My recommendation, is find something you like on the overseas market, then as you have done, ask on the forum for experience/opinion good or bad. Then reach for the credit card if it's good.

The Aussie Pacific Peso is still quite good on the international market so the buying is good!

Cheers, SB

Old 07-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Banned

Nothing wrong with Ventura stuff Damo. I do agree though that the bike shops here seriously lack any kind of customer service. I got Ventura racks on both my 1000F and cant fault them. I sourced both from ebay from guys who were parting out their bikes and they had racks as well. Good luck in your search.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah t'was a givi universal monokey mount plate on that one I made

It was easy and simple and cheap @ $65 total for plate and bar stock

If all else fails I'd recommend giving it a lash with a welder

Old 07-02-2012, 08:02 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines a Renntec and IMHO looks good on the bike, not too obtrusive without the box. Though the grab handle has been cut down for some reason by the previous owner.

Name:  51000008.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  460.0 KB

Old 07-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sprock also made one for his '90 that carried his top box to NS and PEI.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:30 PM

Hey Hawk I agree the rennetec looks much better IMO. I have decided to make my own mount arms to fit a ventura bag and rack as it was getting the mounting arms for the bike that was the problem. Then i should be able to buy a ventura bag and rack from anywhere. I didnt really like the way the ventura connected on to the bike anyway. The plan is to bend some tube and fit it by removing the hooks on the grab rail and using the fixing point that used to hinge the hooks. That way I get something looking similar to the rennetec but i keep the existing grab rail. I am going around to a mates today to measure the inside and outside diameter of the tube. Then i just need to find out the different upright centre to centre distances that ventura make thier racks in. I will pick the best fit and space the arms apart accordingly.
Will keep a record of what i do and post it once done.
Cheers
Damian

Last edited by Damo77; 07-02-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Say yal want to talk about ugly, but there pracitcal.... GIVI

Last edited by Indiana Hurricane; 07-02-2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 07-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
Say yal want to talk about ugly, but there pracitcal.... GIVI

I'll preface this with I love the hard luggage on my GTR1000, but I bought the CBR1000F for a different purpose.

Now Indy, I think you got the ugly bit right - the GIVI supports look like a span from a railway bridge bolted onto the back of your bike.

Remember black is a slimming colour!

Cheers, SB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ventura luggage rack nightmare