The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Ten Years

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ten Years

I've been hangin around here for about that amount of time with my '94 1000F. In that time I put about 65K on the clock so she is up to 73K, and still going strong. There was a mindset to take her out to 100K but I have been otherwise tempted. I'm going to try some German in a newer ride so it's time for someone else to complete this task. She still looks and runs great and needs nothing. I have it listed over in the For Sale section.

Really have enjoyed the comradeship, humor and technical generosity of everyone. This forum and all of you that make it what it is are top notch, Sprock included. I hope to still visit alot and keep in touch. Open for meet ups a group rides as always.

Thank You,

CB2CBR

Old 04-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come on now let 'em all in on the "defection" why don't ya

Old 04-02-2015, 07:07 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best of luck with your sale, she`s a nice looking bike, best of luck with your new ride, make sure you do pop back in

Old 04-04-2015, 01:41 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Nice to have had your company, don't be a stranger and hope you enjoy the new bike.

BTW we will require pictures

Old 04-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Personally, I'd send the '93 down the road, de-bag the cane and use it as the daily ride.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:33 AM

Hey TBT, The evil little 93 900RR sold within 30 minutes of a spread the word call. The 1000F does not enjoy that kind of love and will need the right guy I guess to appreciate her. As much as I would like to keep her...it just doesn't make sense.
I do swing in that direction when I stand next to her and recall all the smiles and miles we've shared. It could happen, as I don't want to give it away because she still is in good shape and has plenty of distance left in her. But on the other hand, considering what my investment in it is, and the miles covered, it's been the bike bargain of the century. Got my money's worth, and change back.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:40 PM
Talking

Just returned from a 2700 mile shake-down with my new-to-me 2010 BMW K1300S. She's a tri-color beauty set up for over-the-road with GIVI bags, MV Bar risers, tank mounted ZUMO GPS, and radar detector. The PO installed a peg lowering kit and a set sliders all around.
An Ebay buy in Las Vegas. Flew out, then rode west to Pasadena taking the CA 2 into town. A really great bike road that peaks at about 8000ft and curves 50 miles thru Angels Forest. Unfortunately on the inbound climb the temperature dropped to 28f and sleet and dense fog made for a put-put pace. I took the same road out and had one of the best rides I'd ever enjoyed. The locals riders make good use of it.
On to the Grand Canyon and Four Corners Monument. Once off the interstate on deserted two lanes I saw a ton plus a few times, the power is way more than mortals can use. I played in Colorado a few days making my way up to Telluride and the points north and east. Colorado 92 is now a top ten road for me. US 50 has many great sections with beautiful scenery thru long fast sweepers and a pass at 11000ft.
The clock was ticking and the sky's darkened so I made my way to I-70 to pound the super slab east toward home. Rain and a rear tire going flat at 75mph made for some drama going thru Kansas. After a 3 hour wait for a tow in the rain the bike and I were dropped at the hotel 5 blocks from the local bike shop for the night in Salina, KS. New tires and on the way the next morning, still in and out of rain. The wind was more of a nuisance then the rain IMO as it was a quartering crosswind from the south at 15-40mph, sometimes so strong it blew me into the other lane. Weather improved in route and by the time I got to St. Louis it was sunny and 80's, which held up thru Indiana and then home.

Comparing the 1000F and the K1300S was interesting. I was very comfortable with the old gal and knew what to expect from her in most situations. I had also fitted the bike to me in my taste and needs. Reliable old school in many ways, a little behind in current production performance but still hold her own on the road and in a bike pageant too. The new ride is a looker, especially in the tri-color paint. It is called "Super Sport-Touring" on this rig. With a 300 cc displacement advantage and fuel injection it has another 40 or so horses to call up when asked. The breaking is superior and I give this more value than the HP. The bikes are similar in weight but the breaks hall it down way faster. The down side is the bike wants to stand up if applied late in a corner. If you come in too hot or the radius is decreasing faster than you knew it would and you need to bleed some speed, you may go wide. Steering effort is light but I think the counter-steer effort is significantly higher on those long fast sweepers. I don't know if that's due to a difference in trail geometry or the unconventional front suspension. I found the peg lowering kit comfortable for the interstate pounding but a handicap in the backroad corners. I plan to remove them and return to stock mostly because I can't seem to find a good position for the gear and break levers.
The big difference between the two machines is all the new electronics. This bike has ABS, traction control, electronic suspension control and shift assist. I'm and old school geezer and most of this is technology for technology sake. That said, there is a side of me that finds it interesting, as long as I don't have to buy the replacement computer when the smoke leaks out. That's the good part of my job maintaining business jets, someone else buys the parts. The common interactions are no longer mechanical either as trip mile counters are LED displays and you get the temperature from the dash instead of your face and hands. An optimistic range estimator is there to help you wonder how far you can push a 550 lb motorcycle across the Arizona desert too. When you go fast, it burns way more gas! MPG was pretty similar to what I got with the 1000F, 40 -45 depending on how open the throttle is. I think this 1300 has the torque for taller gearing but with the shaft drive it's not like a sprocket change. That brings to mind a wiz-bang electronic down-side. With the ABS and Traction controls you must be careful with tire selection as small changes to rotation speeds may confuse the computers. The ABS system has an annoying habit of telling you have a "BRAKE SYSTEM FAILURE" until the bike rolls and it can see the wheel speed sensors. I don't see this on any ABS equipped cars. My biggest fear is I may have to depend on a dealership for trouble-shooting because I don't have the diagnostic tools(yet), and the closest dealer is a 100 miles away.
All in all, I like this bike and once I make it fit me better with peg and seat work, we will have plenty of miles to enjoy. I do miss my 1000F and if some circumstance forced me back to one I wouldn't complain too hard. The grass is a little greener over on this side but I have to pay a lot more for the fertilizer.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There's no adventure without a little misadventure. Sounds like a good ride.

but me....?

Old 05-18-2015, 04:38 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)

Glad you've found one you like. And the ride sounds, well, interesting. Enjoy.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:46 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A couple of pics would be nice

Quick Reply: Ten Years