The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Temptation of the CHALLENGE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Temptation of the CHALLENGE!

Man I tell you what ,, I've had 3 people on GSXR Suzuki's challenge me to a race ,,(Looking at me revving up the motor , motioning to let's go) all in 1 day. What the heck is with suzuki owners wanting to challenge an old "93" CBR 1000 ? I had to bite my lip and let them move on as I really don't want to be collecting tickets or chancing getting into an accident or get someone hurt . But in my younger days,,,it would have been ON!!
I would have really loved to smoke some young butt show-off's 600cc GSXR ,, even if they are lighter in weight . But on the street is no place for that non-sense.
So , My question is,, do other CBR Honda owner's have this problem with GSXR owners? I just thought this was a bit weird this happened 3 times in one day,,and yes 3 different bikes / riders. A WEIRD pick on the CBR Day today! LOL!

Old 04-27-2011, 02:20 AM

I have this problem with cars too. Especially little ones with big wings on the back. Never noticed it being one brand or the other, just sport bikes and cars though.....and one stupid Ford truck. I don't care if it IS called Lightning, its not THAT fast.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:36 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It happens a lot.
Must be something to do with the GSX and the size of their..pr.........k.(or lack thereof)
They are all a bit strange....................
And good for you for not falling for the race challenge.
The road isn't the place for that.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:15 AM

LOL!! Yea , kinda strange with cars doing something like that , but 3 (03-07?)Gsxr's? I mean if a Yamaha , or a kawasaki at least jumped in the mix , that would make it a bit less strange , ya know? I'm just getting used to riding this monster as I've had 2 Harley-Davidson's to cruise on before buying this bike. Plus the "D" link brakes I'm not really all that happy with . I like to control a rear side slip or front brake punch out ,, not real good in hitting an oil patch or loose dirt debris hitting the front tire and slamming the front forks sideways on you , as I use rear brakes to correct the front slip ,,but on this heavy-weight ,,both brakes apply . No control in countering these situations with both brakes applied . Anyway's , 2 out the 3 encounter's were at traffic light's and the one while pulling out of a gas station. I mainly use the CBR as transportation ,,better on 4 bucks a gallon of gas ,, fun to ride ,,plus ,, a LOT less in maintenance costs of Harley LOL!! I love a great running Hog, But I don't miss the cost's of repeated repairs . Racing belongs on the track,,not the streets . I'm not afraid to drop the hammer ,,even at my age,,just not at the chance of someone else getting hurt ,,or me! I race Dirt-bikes just about every weekend ,, and I race at the track,,that's where that kinda thing belongs . I've been racing since the age of 15 ,, at 47 ,,lesson learned LONG ago.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:38 PM

A few weeks had a guy on a can-am pull the old street racing trick, We took of from a light and he held back and then came by me with a running start (probably 20 mph). I was in second gear and on a 55 mph wide bridge and ran him down in just a few seconds. Three miles later we were both in a double turn lane and he says "I just got it and wondered what it would do", WTF? new to a bike(kinda) and racing it Don't think it was what he expected, lol

Old 04-28-2011, 07:07 PM

With some riders just getting used to a new bike , the urge to "open her up & see what she can do" is a very natural temptation ,,well I'd say normal . But that is a curiosity that can get you killed if your not experienced with the bike your on at the time. Myself , I've been riding for 30+ yrs and I would never just jump on an unfamiliar bike and start racing everywhere . I've become comfortable with 1200cc Harley-Davidson's and the power / weight & handling of riding these type cruiser's . It's been 10 or so yrs since I've been on a "crotch rocket" or sport / race type bike , but it all comes back to me every time I get on the ole Grey-ghost CBR . These bikes (CBR's)were designed to go fast and many other riders / owners of new bikes ,seem to think old bikes are no longer in the same lane as the new bikes,, I would have mixed feelings about that . I didn't buy my CBR to race it ,,just to enjoy it.
That guy on the can-am is lucky he didn't get nailed by the police , as you know, here in florida a contest race caught in the act is a felony now and with that citation you get ,,leaves you with no bike also as they take the bike as a criminal activity trophy . Actually , you and him could have been comparing ticket costs on the roadside ,,walking home. LOL!!
Next time this ever happens to me,, I'll just say,,Friday night,,race track,,be there. WITH MONEY!! LOL!!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the law, didn't know, but I knew numerous "hiding" places and had no intention of getting caught or even stopped
Ride safe!

Old 05-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great self control Steel Horse Rider! The road's full of idiots, but the 3 in a day thing with the gixers is really weird. Every now and then I give the throttle a squirt when somebody tries to blow me off but only for a second...just long enough for them to feel like they're going backwards. Then I just back off and keep cruising.

Like you, back a few years thing would have been different...before a wife and kids came along. Bloody good thing too imo.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Like you, back a few years thing would have been different...before a wife and kids came along. Bloody good thing too imo.
Thank you Davethepom ! And yes it was a very weird day to say the least , I guess it was "pick on the CBR day" ? LOL!! And you hit the nail right on the head bro ,,having a family of your own..changes everything.
Me being a single parent of 4 children puts that right in front of anything I do nowadays . Tomttt , I wasn't trying to be a stick in the mud and lecture you my friend , I just know what it is like to have that much power under you and being young and daring , want to experience the "RUSH" ,,been there done it ,, but running and hiding with a motorcycle isn't necessary ,, just have him follow you or point him over to the side of the road , and "INVITE" him to the track on that weekend ,,if he / she..(yes, she,,it happens) refuses ,,YOU WIN!! I've had 5 of the 8 friends I rode with killed in street racing,,heck ,I did it myself,,but after losing my license for a yr and a $1000 fine for doing 137 mph across the gandy bridge in tampa fl ,, ( 1973 Kawasaki H2 triple 2 stroke modified for drag racing )trying to out run the police,,the radio won,,,I lost ,, badly ,,and it was then I realized ,,at 137 mph ,,I could have killed someone,,and myself .
So please forgive an old "racer" for trying to keep it safe with everyone.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:26 PM

SH Rider my friend, Thank you for the wonderful compliment, a 57 yo guy loves to be called "young and daring", LOL. I have been driving and riding high HP cars and bikes for 35 years and it is still a rush to have a machine with power. And I in know way though of u as a "stick in the mud".
My CRF dirt bikes probably have the power/weight advantage. Me at only 150#, most bikes are faster that "normal".
I hope u ride safe my friend and thanks again for the heads up and compliment!

Quick Reply: Temptation of the CHALLENGE!