The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Stupid stupid Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha.... They are not that bad!!!!
Between my fiancé and I we own 4
1 being my circuit racecar. (Rs turbo legacy)
All jdm models..
So you could say I know a thing or two about boxer motors...

Old 10-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by madmikenz
First problem is the single cam motors are dogs..
best thing to do is pull the motor out and do it properly..
Get the heads and block checked for flatness.. if they are warped you will blow gasket after gasket..

If you do the job correctly you should have a motor that last 100,000-200,000kms with no trouble at all...
Do a half *** job and just slap some new headgaskets in it and you will have the same thing happen in 5000kms...
That's the problem. It's a real dog and it runs ruff until it warms up. I'm sure the valves need to be adjusted but the engine needs to come out just to adjust the valves. I'd rather pull a Ducati engine to do valves than this hunk of lemon.

I made a mock attempt to remove the heads, in car as pulling the engine is not an option. I can't get to the EGR tube nor can I get to the valve cover bolts. The engine HAS TO COME OUT. I can't do the job here so I am driving it until I can trade it.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:00 PM

Thats a good call...
All Subaru's over here are JDM so we dont tend to get the Poo spec models that you guys have to deal with.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:44 AM

I'm away from home and just got a message from my son. He tried to start my car and it was dead. When he popped the hood the battery was blown up. This is a stupid, stupid car.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Welcome Crew

My route was to buy something that was not just reliable but had a reputation for being easy to work on. When I'm on four wheels I'm in my Toyota p/u with that wonderful 22RE engine! I did the head gasket and timing chain on it a couple years ago and it's been great ever since.

In fact I just picked up an '88 yesterday w/ the same engine... towed it 100 miles home w/ my '94!

Oh, and for what it's worth, I hate Subarus too! Total pos's in my opinion.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:47 AM

Madmiknz is correct you need to check both the head and block for warpage......if you don't it will cost you, unfortunately you will need to drop the motor......but it's worth it long term.....
Cheers

Old 10-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
I'm away from home and just got a message from my son. He tried to start my car and it was dead. When he popped the hood the battery was blown up. This is a stupid, stupid car.
Find a steep cliff preferably in an old flooded quarry

- let it roll, pay no attention to your broken ignition lock ! lol

Old 10-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
When talking with my friend, he told me he had to pull the heads back and rotate the bottoms upwards to pull the lower bolts with one hand while juggling the head in the other hand to get the heads to go up.
I'm sorry, I have a dirty dirty mind.

It sucks to hear that you are having a bad experience with subis, I loved my 98 impreza and it did its job saving my wife in an accident. Now I'm on a high mileage ford truck and its a nail biter, its been great so far but I just don't trust fords.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:12 PM

On the way to the airport last week, I was talking to my cab driver. We somehow started talking about Subarus, he's the one that brought it up. He said he has a cousin in Vermont that has 3 of them and loves them. The cousin lost one last year when the head was weeping oil like mine is doing. With the exhaust header under the head, oil ran down and the car caught fire.

Maybe if I get some good fire insurance, I'll keep driving it.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014

Yeah, I didn't find out about the whole "headgaskets are just normal maintenance" bullsh*% until I bought mine.

It's showing beginning signs of failure, but no leakage or overheating yet. It goes down the road OK and handles really well, now that I have put springs and sways in it. It's pretty unsophisticated. I'm not in love with it, that's for sure and will send it down the road in a couple of years, if it lasts that long (bought it with 100k on it).

Subarus are ridiculous cars. I have no idea why they are so highly valued. They feel as cheap and tinny as Toyotas. I can only imagine that mine will be as big a headache as owning an Audi or something.

Just cheaper.

Quick Reply: Stupid stupid Subaru