The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Snake in the grass..literally!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snake in the grass..literally!

Check out the nice wildlife that the dogs killed yesterday. It's an Eastern Brown (second most venemous land snake!) with enough venom to kill all four of my dogs. Lucky ba5tards are ok somehow 'cos these things are fast and mean.

Now..where's that 12G?

Dodgy pics on the phone, but you get the idea.

Last edited by davethepom; 07-27-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dam, your dogs did get lucky!!

You know, as soon as I read the title (before even reading the post), I thought.......

where's that 12G?
lol...

(Although my answer to most questions is the 12 gauge shotgun.... it's kind-of like my swiss army knife...)

One venomous snake down.... a chitload more to kill.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:30 PM

[QUOTE=kilgoretrout;865791]
(Although my answer to most questions is the 12 gauge shotgun.... it's kind-of like my swiss army knife...)

I'm with you there Dylan. I've got everything from 7 1/2 shot through to solids for mine..something for all occasions you could say .

I almost stepped on a Brown about the same size in the chook pen a few years ago. the ba5tard had his head down a hole, trying to get some hatchlings in a smaller pen. The only thing I could lay my hands on was a narrow trench shovel that was right next to me. I couldn't swing it 'cos the pen's got a roof so all I could do was chop straight down. I only got part way through on one side and about another metre came straight back out of the hole and the pointy end came at me with it's mouth wide open. It missed but jeez me pants were a mess .

Walked in the shed once and looked at my bike as I walked past (as you do ) and there was another Brown curled around the centre stand with a big rat half way down it's neck. I got a couple of metres of stiff cable and positioned it about six inches above it's neck and whipped it down. Another pair of jocks bit the dust .

****, I love living in the bush!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I'm glad I don't have to deal with those dam things. I hate venomous snakes. Most of ours aren't dangerous. We see a ton of black rat snakes here, but they're harmless....just annoying because there are so many.
I know of people seeing copperheads and rattlesnakes, but they are few and far between, and I've never personally run into one.
I've seen plenty of water snakes and milk snakes, though. Both cool...and harmless....

Old 12-15-2009, 12:15 AM
November 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave.
Being in Qld,seen any Taipans up your way?Snakes have the option to kill or not too...........

Old 12-15-2009, 03:05 PM

Sixpack. No mate, no Taipans just here as it's a bit cold for them in Winter. Down off the Great Dividing Range to the East they get 'em though.

Generally speaking I try to leave the snakes alone when they're out in the paddock. I've seen and stepped right over a large Red Belly before because they're pretty mellow unless you hassle them. Also they eat baby Browns so the more blacks around the better. It's just the dogs that can't help themselves. They think they're doing the right thing protecting the kids and us (they're well aware of how dangerous they are)but if they just left them alone the snakes would just p!ss off when they've eaten a rat or whatever. I should probably stop wearing thongs when I round up my cattle though. Or maybe get some of these .

Last edited by davethepom; 07-27-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davethepom
I should probably stop wearing thongs when I round up my cattle though.
Ya think?

Old 12-15-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by JHouse
Ya think?
Tried it once, made my head hurt

Sorry, did I say thongs?...I meant a thong.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice steel caps......dayum ........they'd make me a millionaire here in Maine.

Need a slight mod though .........need a yellow "[CAT] label sumwhere and
maybe Green & Yeller John Deere soles......LOL

As for that snake....ouch looks nasty ........almost as big as mine ......LOL

Quick Reply: Snake in the grass..literally!