The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Sigh.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sigh.

This is something that should never have been written. A rider of my experience should never lose concentration, freeze and target fixate. But the broken fairing, scratched mirror, roughed up luggage, sprained ankle and shoulder separation all attest that all those did happen. At least it was at less than 30 mph.

Damn.

Actually if it hadn't been for a foot-long patch of gravel a foot wide that washed out into the outside of the curve I might have made it. But, alas, it was there.

At least it can be reported that the boots saved my foot, the Kevlar pants kept skin on my leg, the Cortec jacket and gloves did the same for my back and hands, and the helmet sacrificed itself to save my head.

Two of my boys (boys? They are both in their mid-forties) picked the bike up, and a really good guy stopped to help. We told him everything was fine, he said he lived five miles or so up the road and he'd check back shortly to make sure we were okay.

After a few minutes of walking around and a quick check of the bike, I climbed on and rode in a circle to see if it was possible - I never have been known for sensible caution - I informed everyone I was fine. The boys reluctantly said okay and we rode the remaining ten or fifteen miles into Butte and a motel. Actually, that was the best my shoulder felt for the next couple days.

A quick visit to the emerency room (Ha! Is there ever a quick trip there?) where we found out about the shoulder and ankle, we went back to the motel - taxi cab both ways. After a restful night's sleep we packed the bikes in a U-Haul and drove back to Lewistown.

Sooooo . . . there is more to do than fiddle with the CCT this winter. It will take a new slider cover, a left side mirror, maybe a fender and an alternator cover. The rest of the plastic can be plastic welded and/or glued, scratches can sanded and filled. I'm already thinking about what the new paint job will look like.

Things could be far, far worse.

Oh, and that guy that stopped? He showed up as we were parked at the motel to see if there was anything we needed. We never found out his name. The world is full of great people. Sometimes I forget that.

Many thanks to you, stranger,

Last edited by DRam; 08-26-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:47 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Originally Posted by DRam
A rider of my experience should never lose concentration, freeze and target fixate.
Dram, it happens to us all from time to time, sometimes we get lucky and get away with it, unfortunately this wasn't your turn for that. Just glad to hear the gear you were wearing did it's job and protected you.

Rest up and get fit/better. You probably would have got bored with nothing to do this winter anyhow

Any help needed just post up.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Just glad it is only your pride that is (basically) hurt Dram!

You are an inspiration to me, so heal well and quickly get back on that horse!

Cheers, SB

Old 08-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear about that, but like you said things could be far, far worse. Glad to hear there aren't any serious injuries.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're okay, sure sorry to hear it. Just gotta patch up and keep going! Can't wait to see how the bike looks after resto... you just going to do a solid color or try to stay stock? Black is fastest

Old 08-27-2014, 09:41 PM

Heal Fast, wrench well, ride again soon. Glad you're ok.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:12 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)

Thanks for the support everyone.

Hawkwind: thanks for the comforting words. It's nice to know I have company. And on this site it's darned good company.

SB: I'm and inspiration to you? My good man, you inspire me! Guess it's a mutual admiration society.

As to color scheme: I vacillate. Solid is nice, but maybe it would be good to keep the stock appearance. But solid would be easier. But then the Corbin Gunfightfer wouldn't match. On the other hand I have a spare Corbin Gunfighter and Lady in the basement that would go with solid. But then ... but then . . etc. Oh well, there's plenty of time.

It's going to be a busy three or four weeks with a wedding in the family and other commitments, but I should be able to start by mid September. I'll keep you posted.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:52 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bad news about the bike, but glad you are OK. I don't envy having to choose a colour,
so many to choose from!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear about your spill, glad your ok though

Old 08-28-2014, 10:04 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DRam brings an old saying to mind, "the old dog for the hard road & the pup for the path". Good to hear you were not majorly injured and will recover in a timely fashion. Any help you need finding body parts etc. let me know.

Quick Reply: Sigh.