The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Saving money. Your tips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah until you go to do the setup ...... must try again though maybe it's changed recently

Old 10-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with all Paco says - the only issue is - the wireless bandwidth - I only get 3 Gb a month and had to renew it to get 6 extra gigs ($120 US) AARGH because of some damned pirate who stole all my allowance.......... so yes, you can pinch it, or we have certain places where wifi works well with no restrictions - local coffee shop has unrestricted access and all the students go there, drink coffee, meet girls etc, and owner is cool with that (he sells lotsa donuts and coffee) We still have lousy local TV, but yes, I too can remember the days when we had ONE channel, and only from 7-11.30PM Good point - local cable here costs around $75 US per month. Go to the local sports bar if there's something you really have to watch.......
I have 6 extra people to feed at my house ATM and it's a strain on the budget for sure.
It's a case of slow down on the expensive meat cuts, eat a little smaller (we can all do it) - I'm amazed at how much we've been able to economise, and still eat pretty well.
Any more good thoughts to save - I'm all ears..............

Old 10-07-2010, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the best of my knowledge, we don't have bandwidth limits here. The people I've been tapping into have Comcast Cable internet, which is very fast, so the worst I'm doing is slowing them down a bit at times.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shadow
I have 6 extra people to feed at my house ATM and it's a strain on the budget for sure.
It's a case of slow down on the expensive meat cuts, eat a little smaller (we can all do it) - I'm amazed at how much we've been able to economise, and still eat pretty well.
Any more good thoughts to save - I'm all ears..............

6 extra? Bloody hell mate, if they all eat like my 14 yr old you're in big trouble. We now make more of an effort to eat what needs to be eaten in the fridge, rather than whatever takes our fancy. We're throwing out way less food and saving heaps. Any food scraps go to the chooks anyway and we get up to 13 eggs a day for bugger all. Cheapest and best protien you can get. Eye fillet is on pay day only atm. Yes, you can eat really well for hardly any money if you think a bit about it. A good stew or a curry with some cheap meat and left over vegies is one of the best tasting feeds out there.

****, I just made myself hungry. Gotta go and eat something.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

paco,
The problem I have with your ideas is that we have one phone company/DSL provider and one cable tv/cable internet provider.
So.... my phone + DSL is like $56/month total. If I drop the phone and just get internet, they try to charge me the same price with no "bundle".
If I go with comcast internet without the TV it's the same deal... they try to rape me for like $69/month for JUST internet at the speed I already have on DSL.

Plus, I live in a rural area so there are no wireless ripoff points.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
paco,
Plus, I live in a rural area so there are no wireless ripoff points.
You'd be very surprised what a large Hi Gain directional antenna can find Trout ???

If you are up on a hill you could probably grab open access halfway across town.

But as you say the whole package deal being so cheap ....why bother