The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

A question for the Brains Trust

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suggest you get in touch with Malcolm Kirkby at Econohonda in Te Aroha he has an encyclopedic knowledge of parts that cross over from all sorts of models.
www.econohonda
Good luck this is just a small ripple on the highway

Old 02-07-2013, 01:33 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm thinking the since on an '87/'88, the pump itself acts as the diaphram or valve. Would it be possible to retrofit the innards from a non-pump petcock onto TK's bike?

Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Thanks for the responses guys:

TBT; that picture looks much more like I expected based on my knowledge of old MX and road bikes in the 70's and 80's that did not use a vacuum release.

kiwi JK: email sent to Malcolm, if he comes up with a useful cross reference ("What you need is the rebuild kit for an XR500" kind of thing ) I will post it up to improve our collective knowledge for the future.

Call me old fashioned; but if his alternative is to buy a new petcock through him (at a premium) I'm probably reasonably happy to do that. Sometimes I'm happier to spend the Kiwi Peso and keep it in the country. If something is simply unobtainable here, fair enough send the money offshore, but my first preference would always be to spend it at home.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TimBucTwo, that's the one!! I took mine apart but couldn't get a new seal, so cleaned it up and put it back together and it only leaks in reserve now. I don't touch it and it stays on all the time and just make sure I fill her up before it hits reserve!! TK, If you find a new seal, let me know where to get one.

Last edited by robbiebgraham; 02-07-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by robbiebgraham
TimBucTwo, that's the one!! I took mine apart but couldn't get a new seal, so cleaned it up and put it back together and it only leaks in reserve now. I don't touch it and it stays on all the time and just make sure I fill her up before it hits reserve!! TK, If you find a new seal, let me know where to get one.

So is it only NZ where the 87 CBR1000F petcocks leak in reserve??

Something to do with the curvature of the earth, the ozone layer and hedgehogs I think!

Cheers, SB

PS: Thanks for the input Robbie, and how did you dismantle the petcock? From discussions with TK, It appears to be riveted.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:05 AM

Tis rivetted you have to make a COMMITTMENT to dismantling and drill out the rivets and replace them with appropriately sized screws and nuts to take this thing apart,that's why I don't think you will find a repair kit / parts are available readily.Hence the suggestion that a later model vacuum petcock may be the best solution.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 AM

You're right there JK, a bit of commitment will be required if I can find an appropriate rebuild kit. But what the hell, I have a drill press, a reasonable idea of what's required, and a beer.

What could possibly go wrong?

I seem to remember seeing a "how to" involving drilling out rivets, but I'll be buggered if I can find it. Perhaps by stu.co.nz?

My main concern with going to a later model tap is that you can almost guarantee that Honda decided to make the tank attachment thread 1mm larger or smaller, and "lets make it a left hand thread while we're at it."

Old 02-08-2013, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
You're right there JK, a bit of commitment will be required if I can find an appropriate rebuild kit. But what the hell, I have a drill press, a reasonable idea of what's required, and a beer.

I seem to remember seeing a "how to" involving drilling out rivets, but I'll be buggered if I can find it. Perhaps by stu.co.nz?

My main concern with going to a later model tap is that you can almost guarantee that Honda decided to make the tank attachment thread 1mm larger or smaller, and "lets make it a left hand thread while we're at it."
You want the train station on the second floor?

Sure..........what possibly could go wrong?

Cheers, SB

Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 AM

Pffft, French, clearly got frightened by a German on a bicycle with a spud gun. Doesn't count.

Attached Thumbnails A question for the Brains Trust-amusing-d4587bb95cba6a74fd8df526fcd6c121_h.jpg  

Last edited by kiwi TK; 02-08-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kiwi TK

TK, that was me and I don't know how to find the post, I replace a couple of the seals but couldn't get the main 4 way seal, so lubed it up and put it back together. It was OK for a while but it leaks when on reserve.
Robbie

Quick Reply: A question for the Brains Trust