The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Possible new Hurricane owner hoping for some info.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new Hurricane owner hoping for some info.

Hello all,

I am looking at possibly purchasing a 1990 US spec Hurricane and I was wondering what if anything I should look for on a motor with a little over 18k miles on it?

Thanks,
Chris in New Mexico

Old 02-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G'day Chris. The only problem with these motors that I've heard of is camchains and tensioners. Get a listen to the motor from cold if you can. A bit of camchain rattle is pretty normal, but should go away fairly soon as the oil pumps up. These are good strong motors and 18k miles isn't a lot. If it's been serviced (especially oil changes) and looked after, you should be ok. A compression test would reassure you of the engine's general condition if the present owner will agree.

We all love ours. They're fast, comfortable and stable. Good luck with it.

After all, it's a Honda.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info guys, how are things down under? My wife is from New Zealand although I have never been to OZ.

Thanks again for the info and I will let you know if I pull the trigger on the bike.

Chris in New Mexico

Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Sounds like a good bike Chris.

If you don't mind saying , what's the year and the asking price?

If the price is right , you won't regret it

Old 02-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a 90 Hawk....................time to replace your white stick.................

Chris, just buy the old girl - you'll be a happy bunny for sure........

Old 02-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Sounds like a good bike Chris.

If you don't mind saying , what's the year and the asking price?

If the price is right , you won't regret it
It is a 1990 and right now hw is asking $1900 USD, but he is having carb problems that sound like a vac leak. He is telling me that if he gets the idle right the revs will "stick" and if the idle is off the engine will rev as normal.

Here is a link to a photo gallary of the Hurricane in question.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/11190...84573355_Umajh

Chris in New Mexico

Last edited by Desslok; 02-23-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Added a link to pics gallery.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Desslok
Thanks for the info guys, how are things down under? My wife is from New Zealand although I have never been to OZ.

Thanks again for the info and I will let you know if I pull the trigger on the bike.

Chris in New Mexico
There's a couple of jokers (hi fellas) who hang around here and regularly ask each other how they are 'down under'.

Australia's a great place to be mate! Sometimes it's too f'n hot and dry in places, but you can pretty much choose your climate anywhere between hot, wet tropics and desert. You could head to the mountains and ski or the beach for a surf. For the most part the people are laid back and friendly too...****, I should do the next round of tourism adds..just me and Lara .

The bike looks in pretty fair nick. I noticed a couple of minor cracks in the fairing which the owner was honest enough to show in the pics. I think that's a good thing (not the cracks, the honesty). As long as the bike's straight and the motor is good, a minor running problem is nothing to worry about IMO. The guys here will help to sort most things out. I'm not sure what these babies go for over there so can't comment on the price, but I'm sure one of the others will have a better idea.

How far away from you is the bike?

Let us know how you go mate.

Last edited by davethepom; 02-23-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by davethepom
There's a couple of jokers (hi fellas) who hang around here and regularly ask each other how they are 'down under'.

Australia's a great place to be mate! Sometimes it's too f'n hot and dry in places, but you can pretty much choose your climate anywhere between hot, wet tropics and desert. You could head to the mountains and ski or the beach for a surf. For the most part the people are laid back and friendly too...****, I should do the next round of tourism adds..just me and Lara .

The bike looks in pretty fair nick. I noticed a couple of minor cracks in the fairing which the owner was honest enough to show in the pics. I think that's a good thing (not the cracks, the honesty). As long as the bike's straight and the motor is good, a minor running problem is nothing to worry about IMO. The guys here will help to sort most things out. I'm not sure what these babies go for over there so can't comment on the price, but I'm sure one of the others will have a better idea.

How far away from you is the bike?

Let us know how you go mate.
The bike is about a 3 hour drive to the west away from me.

Thanks for all the advice I do appreciate it.