The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Please tell me you'll miss me

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012 | 02:04 AM
|

Quick check told me the twin IDF Webers will set me back 1800 dollars. Not to mention the hi-po head and cams and other breathe right gear.

I'll be down in Olympia this Saturday to get it towed out. Will be storing at my work for the short term. I'll have pics up this weekend, hopefully

I'll ask for your assessments on how much work I'm looking at.

Good runners can be found around here. Anything from survivors to full-on restos, anywhere from 1600-5000 dollars and up. This may end up being a parts car.

We'll see

Need to get my head out of the clouds and look realistically at this project

Last edited by wooferdog; 11-30-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2012 | 03:44 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Ciao bella, mozzarella!

Thought I was the only one stupid and crazy enough to dream about italian car as a hobby (no, not the one with the horse emblem...) I actually saw one of those the first time last week, pondered my head off what it was cause it had the pininfarina logo in front.

My dream car that I'm some day going to buy would be the x1/9 bertone coupe, or it's big brother the x1/20 which is more widely known as the Lancia Beta Montecarlo.

There is one pretty quick 1/9 in fonland that the owner has widened, lenghtened, turboed and built a complete bodykit from sheet metal. Tops out at 322km/h. Gonna post a pic of it when I get home from work.

Gee, do we just have oddly similiar interests cause I seem to be stalking your threads ( can't see the starter or the previous poster from this mobi-version...)

Old 11-30-2012 | 03:54 AM
|

Question.

Did they ever sell the Alfasud down under? Used to work with a guy from J'burg, S.A. (are you listening Shadow?) who had one and a GTV-6 before he move to the States.

They never made it to N. America

Old 11-30-2012 | 04:15 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Certainly did, I seem to recall that one of Fiona's bosses at one stage had one for his wifes' car; was there a green cloverleaf model that was a bit more special? (really dragging the memory bank now).

Old 11-30-2012 | 04:19 AM
|

Originally Posted by Mattson
Ciao bella, mozzarella!

Thought I was the only one stupid and crazy enough to dream about italian car as a hobby (no, not the one with the horse emblem...) I actually saw one of those the first time last week, pondered my head off what it was cause it had the pininfarina logo in front.

My dream car that I'm some day going to buy would be the x1/9 bertone coupe, or it's big brother the x1/20 which is more widely known as the Lancia Beta Montecarlo.

There is one pretty quick 1/9 in fonland that the owner has widened, lenghtened, turboed and built a complete bodykit from sheet metal. Tops out at 322km/h. Gonna post a pic of it when I get home from work.

Gee, do we just have oddly similiar interests cause I seem to be stalking your threads ( can't see the starter or the previous poster from this mobi-version...)
Well hell, Matti

If someone likes beer, Hurricanes and vintage sports cars. A Fiat may just be the best bang for your buck, Alfas, Triumphs, Austins and even, what used to be a dime a dozen MG's are going through the roof price-wise. The Fiat is still a bargain. One could pick up a Mazda Miata for reasonable money, or even a Z-3 if he has Beemer money, but what else can give you the satisfaction of a leaking head gasket and crappy electrics as an older Italian roadster?

Think about it!.

The prancing horse is still my dream but if you can own the little car from Milano with the Cross of St. George and the Snake eating a sword on the grille badge. You'll know what Cuore Sportivo truly means. you'll be speaking in fake Itatianisms in no time

Sorry, I'm having an Alfa Romeo moment again

Good Bye, good cheese?

Attached Thumbnails Please tell me you'll miss me-cuore-sportivo_13919.jpg  

Last edited by wooferdog; 11-30-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 11-30-2012 | 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Yes Woof, we had the Alfasud here. A mate I went to Uni with bought one in 1st year, and by 4th year it was a pile of rust! Just a superb little boxer motor though.

I have 2 - count them - 2 spare waffle plate inlet manifolds, one with twin IDFs and one with twin Delortos. Come visit and you can take home one as hand luggage. I paid about $300 AUD a set about 10 years ago, but they regularly go for $600 plus now on Ebay.

Keep a sharp lookout, you should be able to find a donor motor with the right set-up. Just not in California.

Cheers, SB

Old 11-30-2012 | 05:17 AM

We wont miss you at all Woofer because I'm sure you'll be back here just as often for a fix!

Woofer and Mattson - X-19!!! Here is my one back in the early eighties. It was the toy every girl wanted .... and I was happy to be its owner. (Interesting electrical anomaly .... If you'd flick the headlights on/off quickly then only one of the headlights would pop up and down. This made like the car was "winking" at you. Stopped at the traffic lights and a pretty girl would walk across the front of the car I'd flick the lights creating the "winking" effect. Great reaction from the girls!!! )

Old 11-30-2012 | 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Naga_Thai
We wont miss you at all Woofer because I'm sure you'll be back here just as often for a fix!

Woofer and Mattson - X-19!!! Here is my one back in the early eighties. It was the toy every girl wanted .... and I was happy to be its owner. (Interesting electrical anomaly .... If you'd flick the headlights on/off quickly then only one of the headlights would pop up and down. This made like the car was "winking" at you. Stopped at the traffic lights and a pretty girl would walk across the front of the car I'd flick the lights creating the "winking" effect. Great reaction from the girls!!! )

Geez, Naga, no wonder you never invite me to your house I'm probably too dirty for the tradesmans entrance!!

Cheers, SB

Old 11-30-2012 | 05:59 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Excellent house Naga, I'm guessing you're probably a Greek taxi driver in Melbourne are you?

They're the only people in Melbourne that own houses like that.

Old 11-30-2012 | 01:47 PM
|

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Certainly did, I seem to recall that one of Fiona's bosses at one stage had one for his wifes' car; was there a green cloverleaf model that was a bit more special? (really dragging the memory bank now).
The cloverleaf or quadrafoglio goes back to the early days of Scuderia Alfa Romeo in Pre-war Grand Prix. Before the Auto Unions and the Mercedes silver arrows Alfa with Tazio Nuvolari were the team to beat.

Enzo Ferrari took over Alfa's racing program and called it Scuderia Ferrari. You can find pics of Nuvolari's P-3 monoposto with the prancing horse on the hood

Here's a vid from the PNW Historics

and the first actual Ferrari

Last edited by wooferdog; 11-30-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Please tell me you'll miss me