The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

PC playing up

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PC playing up

I hate these poxy things (computers I'm talking about) you spend god knows how long getting your head round how they work,then very carefully downloading your whole life onto it and then they throw a fit and you are stuffed
That thing you cannot live without has expired and taken you down with it AAARRGGGHHHHHHHHHH

At the moment I am on a borrowed PC so will not be around much for a while. I will pop in now and then just to laugh at a certain blokes photo, (he looks like one of the Pouges you can't miss him) and to find out who is sleeping with who or what.
Any way see you later boys.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:44 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to hear from you mate , stay in touch when you can , you know where to find us

Old 09-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple buy a cheap netbook

Old 09-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Computer problems are not unlike bike problems. The first thing to do is to try and isolate the problem. Outside of a blown motherboard, any other problems are typically pretty easy and cheap to rectify. First you want to figure out if the problem is software or hardware related. Try starting the computer in 'safe mode". Hold down the F8 key as soon as you see the first splash screen, then choose safe mode. If the computer will boot up this way, then your problem is probably, though not necessarily, a software problem. Restart your computer, again holding down the F8 key, and this time choose the "last known good configuration" option. If this works, then do a system restore to a point before you computer started acting up. If this doesn't work, then you may need to reinstall your operating system. You can usually do this "non-destructively". Hardware problems can often be isolated by removing or disconnecting all non essential hardware. Disconnect any floppy drives, cd/dvd drives, remove any pci cards, disconnect any USB devices, if you have more than one memory stick, remove one (then replace it and remove the other, and try to start your machine. If it starts up ok, then one of the devices you pulled is probably bad. Reinstall the devices, one and a time, and try rebooting. If you encounter problems after reinstalling one device, that's probably the problem. Remove it and replace it.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, if it won't turn on... it could be as simple as a power supply.
And if you get a blue screen of death with kernel errors, it's generally a hard drive. Either are cheap and easy to fix. (Both of these came to mind because I've done them in the past year)

I will pop in now and then just to laugh at a certain blokes photo, (he looks like one of the Pouges you can't miss him)
I can't believe you'd talk about sprock like that...

Old 09-24-2009, 09:04 PM

........Trout ever painfully numb as usual

If you boot up a pc from the cdrom and go into recovery console
and check the disk & fixmbr .......usually that's what gets blown
out .......the mbr "masterbootrecord"

3 out of 4 PC's I see every month has this ........usually from the
machine taking a hit when it is being powered up or down

Old 09-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Administrator - Retired

I don't claim to be a computer nerd...
I have people that do that for me. (bro in law..actually, both of them)

All I know is what my chit does to me and what fixed it. I gave my brother in law a call and he made me do some stuff and then said something about it needing a HD and something about high temps, maybe? It was making a terrible noise.
New HD fixed it, though, and it was only $20 shipped from fleabay.

I still have the old drive down in the basement in a drawer. Maybe I'll slap it back in and play around with it. (after I get another new charger..just ordered it)
It's an old slab of a computer. Actually runs pretty good, though, when the charger works.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:40 PM

Didn't mean you were numb with respect to the PC's
You know enough about them and bikes too to almost make sense

this is what I meant
I can't believe you'd talk about sprock like that...

Old 09-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Administrator - Retired

I see.

But still, some people are just better at some things than others.... I'm fine with that. It's what makes the world go 'round, right?

You're better with computers, I'm better with bikes and women.

Quick Reply: PC playing up