The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Olympic Medal Count 2012

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Olympic Medal Count 2012

In case anyone is interested in finding out what countries have meddled and what they have for medals, here's a LINK. Seams like the Aussies are great sailors and the Brits are better on land with their bicycles.

Serbia got Bronze for '10m Air Pistol Men'. I didn't know that air pistol was an event. (edit) India got Bronze for '10m Air Rifle Men'.

Out of 205 countries, 58 have meddled so 147 have not, to date.

Here's another interesting LINK. Right side of page has events that are no longer in the games. I like the 'Plunge for distance' and 'underwater swimming' where you get a point for every second you hold your breath. LOL

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 08-09-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotta say Tim I'll be glad when its over. Apparently the closing ceremony will be extraordinary and I'm happy to watch that but our complaining, whining Aussie team imo has been somewhat of an embarrassment. It seems only gold is good enough for our swimmers in particular and when they didn't get them out came the excuses and the tears. They didn't put the work in and others did. Simple as that.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 AM

I think the odds of winning is proportional to the number of athletes representing the country. The USA team is 259 strong. There are countries with only 2 athletes that lack coaching. Looking at the medal count in the link I provided today, USA has 90 total, 10 ahead of China. Australia ranks #7 with 30 total. That's very impressive considering the populations of the 6 countries with more medals. That's something to be proud of in its self.

I work with a guy who ran for his country of Trinidad in the Mexico Olympics. He didn't medal but I think that's impressive.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
I think the odds of winning is proportional to the number of athletes representing the country. The USA team is 259 strong. There are countries with only 2 athletes that lack coaching. Looking at the medal count in the link I provided today, USA has 90 total, 10 ahead of China. Australia ranks #7 with 30 total. That's very impressive considering the populations of the 6 countries with more medals. That's something to be proud of in its self.

I work with a guy who ran for his country of Trinidad in the Mexico Olympics. He didn't medal but I think that's impressive.
I agree entirely mate. Our swimmers though especially seem to think that anything other than gold is a reason to bitch and whinge and cry on tv. We got silver and bronze in other sports like, diving, canoeing etc and those guys were ecstatic about it.

Our pole vaulter Steve Hooker went over there and did absolutely nothing in his event, ( running through and not even attempting the vaults ). He had issues prior to the Olympics yet they still included him in the team, not to mention Cadel Evans who had just completed the Tour De France and pulls out of the Olympics on the first or second day due to fatigue. Seems to me some just went for a free holiday.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Bordo, I thought Sally Pearson was mighty impressive in the 110 Hurdles. She ran all of her heats with authority and deserves her Gold

Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Banned

Couldn't care less about the Olympics till this is a sport!

Pole Dancing, Olympic Sport? Supporters Push To Make It A Reality

that or tiddlywinks.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:00 PM

^ I could go with that. I'd be totally into points for dismount and mount for that matter.

I was mot so much into the BMX qualifying rounds when they went one at a time but the racing was very entertaining. May not be an Olympic sport but very entertaining with all the crashes.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
^ I could go with that. I'd be totally into points for dismount and mount for that matter.
W0rd!

Old 08-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wooferdog
Hey Bordo, I thought Sally Pearson was mighty impressive in the 110 Hurdles. She ran all of her heats with authority and deserves her Gold
I agree Woofer. She delivered and didn't talk herself up prior to the Olympics like the majority of our swimmers did/do. Our sailors, kayakers, divers etc have also done themselves and Australia proud. Its a shame our swimmers carried on like spoilt children for all the world to see. Your 4 x 100m womens athletic team were also something to behold smashing the WR. That was awesome to watch.

I'm hoping this up and coming hurdler will be at the next Olympics.......I'd like the guys job @ 2.22........

Last edited by Bordo; 08-12-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Banned

Man that chick is smoking! In more ways than one.

Quick Reply: Olympic Medal Count 2012