The Hurricane Saloon Off Topic

Old school 1988 Hurricane 1000 vs R6 2008

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old school 1988 Hurricane 1000 vs R6 2008

Hello all
My friend has a R6 2008 model. I must say this bike is very fast for a 600cc. We went riding the other day. I was on my Hurricane 1000. We were just crusing around on some country roads. We played around going from a roll and I must say he suprised me with the power the R6 has. We rolled from 50 mph and nailed it. I thought that I would pretty much walk him. But I was wrong. He jumped me about a bike and a half. We stayed that way until I let off. We did this a couple more times and each time it was the same result. Then we did a slow roll at 10 mph and I held him off until about 70. then he was right next to me. I figured being a 1 litre bike I would have had the advantage. I then looked up the specs of the R6 and it is a low 400 lbs bike with 130 hp. Mine is 586 lbs with a 132 hp. After reading this I was pretty impressed with the Hurricane power
Moving this heft and me is pretty respectable. A lighter rider on the Hurricane would have made the race so much more interesting but who really cares. The R6 has 20 years newer technology on its side. The R6 is a race bike for sure. The Hurricane 1000 in my eyes is still a super bike from the 80's that kicked butt and took names. Plus its really comfortable to ride and looks still looks great after all these years.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool Matt! Next time go for a couple of hundred km ride with him, then get off and race him 20m on foot. I bet the poor bloke will have trouble even standing .

Nobody here will argue with you. These bikes were well ahead of their time and, like you rightly say, they look great parked next to any of the new stuff. My mechanic (oldish guy with heaps of experience) has been for a spin on mine twice and both times has looked at it afterwards and said "jeez it runs nice" once and "it rides really well" the second time. He also said that our bikes are from a time when manufacturers made 'proper' sports bikes (now they're called sport tourers) not race bikes with lights and a horn...I couldn't agree more!

Old 03-27-2010, 01:35 AM

Yep. They're a special bike all right. I constantly turn heads with mine & people are surprised when they hear she's 22 years old. A lot of younger guys have a bit of a giggle till I smoke them. Harley's???? Well I don't even bother as it's a non event unless they've spent a fortune making it go. All in all the Hurricane (Super Sport) as it's known here is still one tough bike.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:38 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

People underestimate these old girls !
I have a friend with a Z636 Kwakker, and he can stay with me up to about 240K's but after that he's done. Sure, through the twisties he's lighter and can turn quicker, but it ends up being the rider that makes the difference much of the time.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:29 PM

No new pocket rocket can outlast these bikes ... they're made of Kryptonite!

Mine's 22 years old and can still give 'em a run for their money!

****! It even scares me sometimes! (Front end's too light! )

After a 300 mile ride, I can get off with me 'nads in tact!!!

Would I but a new sports bike???? ..... Would I bollox!!!!

Last edited by shakey; 03-31-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only time will tell, shakey. I wonder what state the R6 will be in, in 22 years! I realise that technology and materials have leapt a huge amount since our old girls were made, but I can't see anything that revs to the extremes of the new bikes lasting for the long haul.

Would I buy a new sports bike???...Hell yes! But only for a mad blast or a track day, the cbrf is at my place to stay.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by davethepom
Only time will tell, shakey. I wonder what state the R6 will be in, in 22 years! I realise that technology and materials have leapt a huge amount since our old girls were made, but I can't see anything that revs to the extremes of the new bikes lasting for the long haul.

Would I buy a new sports bike???...Hell yes! But only for a mad blast or a track day, the cbrf is at my place to stay.

Mine's stayin too Dave I'm gonna have a damn good time riding her too Might even find time for a full rebuild after the Summer!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever

Old 04-02-2010, 08:40 PM

I get more compliments on my Hurricane 1000 than the guys riding the with newer bikes. Its really starting to get to my buddies with the newer bikes. Everytime we are parked and someone walks over. My buddies say " i bet he wants to talk about the Hurricane". So far 8 out of 10 have done just that. You got to love it. They always say "I bet she is fast" I say "of course she is" I have heard two stories from admirers that told me the only real competition back in the day was the Kawasaki Ninja 1000R. Both stories told of how the big Ninja would take the Hurricane out of the hole, for about a bike length to about 110 then the Hurricane would come on by and stay ahead a couple lengths to 150 mph plus. Wether this is true or not I do not know, but I love hearing the stories.

Quick Reply: Old school 1988 Hurricane 1000 vs R6 2008